Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Expensive bar tape. Is it worth it???

Been looking at getting some new bar tape. I know the likes of supacaz are in trend at the mo but are they worth it? Or is a £10 roll of fizik or the like do just as good a job? Bike is black with red decals. Been looking at supacaz black with red or lizard skins wildfire camo. Can any one recommend either. Pics would also be great. Thanks. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

36 comments

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

Bumping a thread.

Price has doubled. I thought picture might be helpful to someone. Wears well. 2 years later and product remains spongy, grippy dry and wet.
I bought tape because
1. Cheap.
2. Cork hence biodegradable (without knowledge of dyes but hoping non toxic landfill rather than rubbish post service life)

Todays price is $3.80 Australian. Twice of two years past. I doubt I'll need to replace the tape per many many years.
Cork. Not as racy a direct feel but fantastic comfort when commuting.

scrumpydave | 4 years ago
1 like

I'm going to disagree slightly with the consensus - I don't think you need to spend megabucks but the really cheap stuff is a false economy. I've overhauled a few bikes on the cheap for people lately so I've learnt the hard way.

Mu favourite tape is Fabric Hex Tape which can be had between £15-£20. Grippy without being tacky like LizardSkins, strong and easy to clean. I don't use gel pads beneath and don't use gloves unless it's cold.

samcritchlow | 4 years ago
0 likes

This has already been said by others but I'll add a +1 to the, 'bought Lizard Skins, was dissappointed' response.

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

That's the cheap tape. I taped my other bike first hence I managed to get the tape on the ends with this one. My mate offered me Lizard Skins with a stunning review but I used that. It's a fixie, it's comfortable tape at speeds my legs can do, it doesn't look like it will last as long as the above tape yet I think I'll get many many years out of it.
Tapes at 5-10 quid seem to get great reviews here. That tape is about 3 quid delivered. Losing a bit of response but it's as thick as shit hence super comfortable. Maybe similar a middle handle being a thick sponge type gel cell seat.
The other bike with the cheap tape was ridden daily 6 months.. Often used. No problems besides initial installation but now knowing better if I need to tape a bar I'd probably do such slowly and measured.

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

I guess that tape good tape. I just bought the bike. $100 with quality lights and tyres. That tapes awesome. Thin enough to feel response yet thick enough to cushion. The last time I rode her I was going to fast and skidded a mountain drop hairpin. Every bit counts.

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

I use cheap cork tape. Cost 2.5-3 quid per set.
I bought two sets to match red, green port, starboard on two bikes to continually assist with my knowledge.

I don't think it's as good as many other tapes but it ain't wrong neither and it is cheap and comfortable!

Initially a bar end wouldn't hold a tape end and it unraveled during a ride but maybe because I layed it on thick. I layed it thick because I couldn't sit it properly. I'm no expert.
I redid the tape leaving the last inch or 2 of the bar ends absent of cork but thin wrapped the ends using gaff tape.
It's comfortable, it works, it feels good on the drops with a more direct feel and there is another bike here with good tape that feels better on the bars but I didn't wrap that. That uses masking tape as hood covers. Lol. The layers layed properly are probably easier to do with most of the more expensive tapes and being thinner it allows better responses to be had while riding.

Weight of cheap tape ain't an issue. An alloy bike with alloy rims at 7.1 kg with 28 mm heavy tyres.
Best of luck..

kil0ran | 4 years ago
1 like

Yep, I've used gel pads rather than double wrapping, just in the place where my hands rest most often (this can vary from bike to bike so it tends to be something to do once you've ridden for a while and worked out where that is.

Huckfinn | 4 years ago
1 like

3.5 years & 3 handlebars..?

wow!!

thanks for that

Huckfinn | 4 years ago
0 likes

Anyone uses gel "pads" under the tape?

Or even has two layers of tape?

jacknorell replied to Huckfinn | 4 years ago
0 likes
Huckfinn wrote:

Anyone uses gel "pads" under the tape?

Or even has two layers of tape?

I've got gel pads as loathe padded gloves. Works ok.

Current good bike bar tape is Guee silicon and has so far lasted 3.5 years over two bikes and 3 handlebars. Good vibration damping and sort of easy to clean with rubbing alcohol

Chris Hayes | 4 years ago
0 likes

You have three contact points with your bike: pedals, seat and handlebars.  No point in having an expensive rig if these touch points make it uncomfortable or look a mess.  Decent bar-tape is the easiest of these fixes and when put on properly lasts for ages.  I use F:zik tape, wrapped tightly (over gel and old tape on Thomson carbon bars).  Done properly its a fixture.  Mine has lasted 4yrs + at well over 10,000k per annum. I use electrical tape on the tape ends to make sure 

Kieran0885 | 4 years ago
1 like

I have decided to go for Selle Italia smootape corsa gel cork in black 2.5mm thick. Will be fitting this weekend. I’ll let you know the results. Oh, it was 14.98 from Wiggle. 

peted76 | 4 years ago
0 likes

I do like the feel and tackiness of Lizard Skins, it costs a bomb and it wears out quicker than I'd like in my experience. 

I recently brought some rubber 'Pro' (shimano) tape, I'm very pleased with it so far, has the same tackiness and also feels sturdier somehow, time will tell if it is.  Still wasn't cheap though.

srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes

Depends what you want it for.

Tarting up your bike? Given that the difference between cheap and expensive is about a tenner, I'd say it's a cheap way to do that.

More comfort or grip? I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference unless you currently have the cheapest of the cheap, worn out tape.

Longer lasting? I have Deda Mistral (£8) on my commute bike and I only change it when the sun has faded it (it's hi viz yellow to go with the details on my T3 frame).

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

This is a particularly timely thread for me, as I intend to wrap the loop on my Jones H bar.

I don't think that I have wrapped any bars since the early 90s.

I'm thinking a middleish price, not too cheap and not very expensive.  The Cinelli Tennis tape sounds about right.

Is it necessary to use finishing tape, or will electrical tape sufice?

sammutd88 replied to ktache | 4 years ago
4 likes

ktache wrote:

This is a particularly timely thread for me, as I intend to wrap the loop on my Jones H bar.

I'm thinking a middleish price, not too cheap and not very expensive.  The Cinelli Tennis tape sounds about right.

Electrical tape works better. 

matthewn5 replied to ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes

ktache wrote:

It comes with finishing tape, but I always use electrical tape first then the finishing tape for 'finishing'. That way you can get a perfect finish and don't need to stretch the finishing tape, which hides the electrical tape.

The other thing I do sometimes is to start the tape at the middle - near the stem - and wrap outwards to the ends. You finish by overlapping the ends, turning them in, and fitting the end caps in the normal way. It's extremely neat and you need no electrical or finishing tape. That's the way we used to wrap in the 1970s with thin tape, and it still works with thinner tapes today.

I also do a double X behind the shifters so you get the tape going the 'right' way on the tops and drops (so it tightens in use when you're pulling back on the tops, and rolling outwards on the drops).

David9694 | 4 years ago
0 likes

I’m mainly a Deda and a Fizik guy. Most expensive departures were Brooke’s to match a saddle, Fabric Hex for a particular blue I wanted and Tortec quite padded, the latter in white.

they’ve all lasted well, including being rewrapped, but how do you get the darned things clean??

Pilot Pete replied to David9694 | 4 years ago
0 likes

David9694 wrote:

I’m mainly a Deda and a Fizik guy. Most expensive departures were Brooke’s to match a saddle, Fabric Hex for a particular blue I wanted and Tortec quite padded, the latter in white.

they’ve all lasted well, including being rewrapped, but how do you get the darned things clean??

Just cleaned my wife’s white bar tape. Simple. Bucket of warm water or a hose pipe, clean cloth, washing powder/ liquid and a nail brush (not actually necessary). Dampen the tape with the cloth or hose on a fine spray. Take a small amount of washing powder in your palm and rub it into the bar tape. As it lathers work it all around the tape covering it all. 

Once it is covered, scrub gently with the brush, or run your fingernails over the surface to pull the dirt out. Rinse with spray or blot with the clean damp cloth, rinsing and wringing regularly. Work oil stains etc a second time if required.

if it is really grubby start with something like Vanish Oxy Action stain remover, which is what I did yesterday. Tape looks like new again in gleaming white.

PP

kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

At a stretch (pun intended) you can use silicone plumbers/electrical tape. Plenty of colours, sticks to itself, durable, easy to apply and remove. But based on some of the prices in this thread, probably more expensive than real bar tape.

kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

PlanetX currently have a bunch of genuinely lurid Bike Ribbon tapes at 99p.

Xenophon2 | 4 years ago
1 like

It's worth it for those who like the sight of 'em and are willing to pay for looks rather than strictly functional aspects.  Don't have to be a fool for that.

Jimthebikeguy.com | 4 years ago
0 likes

Lifeline stuff is just about all you need. If you want more cush, wrap it twice...

dooderooni replied to Jimthebikeguy.com | 4 years ago
1 like

Jimthebikeguy.com wrote:

Lifeline stuff is just about all you need. If you want more cush, wrap it twice...

That's fine if you've got hands like builders shovels yes

Rapha Nadal | 4 years ago
1 like

I'm 3 years in on some Lizard Skins tape - no signs of wear, no movement in that time, easy to clean, still looks great.  Money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

dooderooni | 4 years ago
0 likes

I've used all sorts of bar tape previously, even including some from Wilko as an emergency stop gap while waiting for some Deda tape to be delivered, but I can honestly say that the Fizik Performance tape I'm currently using is by far the most comfortable I've ever used. I don't like padded gloves and prefer the cushioning to be on the bar itself. For that, the Fizik 3mm stuff is perfect for me.

maviczap | 4 years ago
2 likes

A fool and their money are soon parted, and these expensive bar tapes are snake oil for the gulible.
Most expensive I've paid is for Fizik at about £11. Good tape, goes on easy. But I tend to buy cheap tape, Deda, BBB, Lifeline all good, no issues. Put some Ritchey on my best bike as all the stem and bars are Ritchey, that was also good and clever bar end fixing meant the R was nice and vertical.

Russell Orgazoid | 4 years ago
0 likes

No.

The Lifeline stuff at £5 or so is every bit as good. 

It's bar tape. just needs to be soft and grippy.

kil0ran | 4 years ago
1 like

I spent almost three hours wrapping the bars on my tourer with Brooks microfibre tape, which is around £20. Hateful stuff, but it matches my saddle and it actually comfy in use. So little stretch in it my shoulders were aching afterwards from having to keep tension on it whilst wrapping.

Welsh boy | 4 years ago
1 like

I am currently stocking up on cork tape from Planrt X for about £4 a time, wrapps easily, comfortable and good grip when wet. Some shocking colours too if that is your thing.

Pages

Latest Comments