Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Expensive bar tape. Is it worth it???

Been looking at getting some new bar tape. I know the likes of supacaz are in trend at the mo but are they worth it? Or is a £10 roll of fizik or the like do just as good a job? Bike is black with red decals. Been looking at supacaz black with red or lizard skins wildfire camo. Can any one recommend either. Pics would also be great. Thanks. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

36 comments

Kieran0885 | 4 years ago
2 likes

So the short answer is no. It’s all style over substance. Ok I’ll stick with the Deda I was looking at originally at 7.99

thanks

matthewn5 replied to Kieran0885 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Kieran0885 wrote:

So the short answer is no. It’s all style over substance. Ok I’ll stick with the Deda I was looking at originally at 7.99

thanks

That £7.99 Deda tape feels lovely. Really nice under the hands. I've got it on my long distance bike.|
The only problem I've found with it, once it's on, it's on for good. There's no readjustment possible, the glue is so strong, it tears if you try to unwrap it.

The other one I've been using for the last few years is Cinelli Tennis tape. That feels really luxurious.

LastBoyScout replied to matthewn5 | 4 years ago
1 like

matthewn5 wrote:

Kieran0885 wrote:

thanks

That £7.99 Deda tape feels lovely. Really nice under the hands. I've got it on my long distance bike.|
The only problem I've found with it, once it's on, it's on for good. There's no readjustment possible, the glue is so strong, it tears if you try to unwrap it.

The other one I've been using for the last few years is Cinelli Tennis tape. That feels really luxurious.

I've got that Deda tape on 2 of my bikes and it's great. Also agree with it tearing like mad once it's been on a bit.

Have the Fizik superlight stuff on my best bike.

vonhelmet | 4 years ago
0 likes

I spent £25 on some lizardskins dsp and was disappointed by how much it came apart. It didn't stay put at all. I have cheap deda tape on all my bikes.

StraelGuy | 4 years ago
0 likes

I doubt it. I bought a pack of Supacaz recently and it was no different to the cheap crap I usually buy. Unstrechy and really hard to wrap .

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
4 likes

It takes a person of singular tastes to really appreciate a hand-made artisanal handlebar tape. If you're asking the question, then you'll be fine with the standard mass produced type you find in shops.

Now, if you'd rather be cycling around with your hands caressing some cave-aged single estate bar tape, then you'll be eager to 'splash the cash' and get some bar coverings that have been lovingly shaped for exactly your setup and pre-aged to prevent your bars looking worse over time.

Pages

Latest Comments