Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Help please, chain catching.

Good morning all,

I have a Cannondale SuperSix Evo which has ridden about 650 Mikee and is a year old. The chain is catching intermittently on the front chain catch as seen in this video;

https://youtu.be/z59zq57ictY

I’ve not crashed it or dropped it at all, and it was set up by Paul’s Cycles who I’ve brought several bikes from before without issues. 

It only does it whilst in the big ring at the front and the top 3-4 at the back. No issues at all in the small ring at the front. Gears indexed and adjusted correctly.

Any idea what could be causing this at all? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Whats happening is as you pedal backwards the chain is catching on the next cog up on the cassette, unloading the chain. It then dips- usually when there is a deflection in the chain line. 

First question is, does the bike change gears smoothly on the rear derailleur?  If it does then I would leave alone, if it doesnt a small indexing of the rear derailleur might help.  My bike does the same but shifts perfectly,  and its only when you are pedalling backwards so hardly a concern

bechdan | 4 years ago
1 like

it looks to me like it catches in the same place on the chainring each time. Carefully inspect the teeth on that part for any slightly bent ones, might help flipping the bike over and looking at the chainring straight on.

Latest Comments