Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

When to change internal cables?

Externally routed cable - no problem, a few quid, 20 minutes, job done. Internally routed cables? PITA, but a bigger PITA if they snap.  My good bike rarely gets wet, and has just crossed the 5,000 mile mark. When should the inners be replaced, and I guess equally important, what about the outer sheath?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

32 comments

HarryTrauts replied to Welsh boy | 5 years ago
5 likes

Welsh boy wrote:

For your own safety I think you should seriously question whether you should be working on your own bike.

Really?  Even changing cables?  This seems overly cautious.  Perhaps it's a joke and I don't get it...

mike the bike replied to Welsh boy | 5 years ago
5 likes

Welsh boy wrote:

......  For your own safety I think you should seriously question whether you should be working on your own bike but 5000 miles on a set of cables is fine.    

Don't work on your own bike?  What kind of heresy is this?  What would replace the complete satisfaction you get from a Sunday morning session of fettling and fixing and generally getting oily?  There's nothing like it, man versus broken bike, man emerges victorious, bike running like buttered silk.  Couldn't do without it, just not possible.

I suppose at a push I could hand my proudest possession over to the semi-trained halfwit at my LBS.  He'll do the job to the minimum standard, using parts that don't quite fit, chip the paint in three places, leave grease on the levers and charge me for the privilege.  Or maybe I won't.

Pages

Latest Comments