Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Dulux Trade London Revolution

Hi all, 

I am doing this for the first time this year, Is there anyone else taking part this year? Anyone who has done it in the past with any tips or advice? 

I have done the London Brighton 3 times and a wiggle 40miler but nothing on this scale so excited and scared in equal measures!!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

rjfrussell | 6 years ago
0 likes

you will, but the Chilterns on morning of day 2 are surprisingly steep and nasty.  Not long, but certainly get the thighs burning.

Colin Peyresourde | 6 years ago
0 likes

Just keep pedalling. You’ll get there.

Luxie replied to Colin Peyresourde | 6 years ago
0 likes

Colin Peyresourde wrote:

Just keep pedalling. You’ll get there.

Very true! 

theRomfordRider | 6 years ago
0 likes

I rode this last year. Brillant ride. The roads when outside are London are good. Traffic was very low when in the country lanes. Some of the smaller villages put music/stalls on so make sure you stop and say hello.

My tips will be take extra  engery taps for the water stops, they seemed to run out very quick. If you have room in your bag, take a extra camping matt. They do provide you with one but its about 5mm and sleeping on a bumpy race course isnt nice. 

Even though day 1 is longer, day 2 was harder. Don't know if that was becasue I had a bad nights sleep or that there are more ups than downs.

Luxie replied to theRomfordRider | 6 years ago
0 likes

theRomfordRider wrote:

I rode this last year. Brillant ride. The roads when outside are London are good. Traffic was very low when in the country lanes. Some of the smaller villages put music/stalls on so make sure you stop and say hello.

My tips will be take extra  engery taps for the water stops, they seemed to run out very quick. If you have room in your bag, take a extra camping matt. They do provide you with one but its about 5mm and sleeping on a bumpy race course isnt nice. 

Even though day 1 is longer, day 2 was harder. Don't know if that was becasue I had a bad nights sleep or that there are more ups than downs.

Thanks for the info. Will make sure i take my own supply with me just in case theirs run out! What was the food like at the base camp? 

Might start looking on ebay for a cheap mattress too by the sound of it!

Luxie | 6 years ago
0 likes

There does seem to be some 'nice' climbs on both days! Have you done anything like it before? 

crazy-legs replied to Luxie | 6 years ago
0 likes

Luxie wrote:

There does seem to be some 'nice' climbs on both days! Have you done anything like it before? 

OK, Day 1:
The first little blip at 17 miles is the climb up to Crystal Palace which is about 5% or so steadily ramping away from Dulwich College and kicking up a bit at the end.

The next big hill (summit at 30miles) is just one long drag - literally just a couple of % at most to the top of Titsey Hill - the screaming descent off the North Downs escarpment. Then it just undulates gently round to Pitch Hill and Staple Lane which are the two climbs back onto the escarpment. They're only short. Then it's again pretty flat with a tiny little ramp up through Windsor Great Park right at the end, again just a % or two.

Jem PT | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm doing it too! Day 1 certainly looks tougher -especially the climbs up Pitch Hill and Combe Lane after 70 miles. The compensation will be the fantastic views over London as we run down Staple Lane afterwards (if it's clear).

crazy-legs | 6 years ago
0 likes

It's run by the same people who do the Deloitte Ride Across Britain - in fact they use this event as a bit of a training / experience weekend for many of the RAB participants so they can learn what to expect from a multi-day event with the overnight stop, base camp etc.

There is of course the caveat that you have to ride through central London (albeit on a weekend) so some experience of riding in traffic is essential. I've never actually done the event but I know the roads very well, especially the southern half. There's nothing on there too difficult, it's mostly pretty scenic stuff - surprising how close you can be to the centre of town but actually away from it all.

There's a whole load of advice, training plans etc on their website but do turn your speakers off before navigating to it, it's one of those dreadful websites that starts playing music about 3 seconds after you land on the opening page.

Latest Comments