Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best wheel upgrades?? Budget £200 tops!

Hello one and all...
1st post for me so bear with me!

I am rolling around on a Giant Defy 3 2010 which comes with 'Giant Sport Road CR, Double Wall' rims - ones I believe to be pretty good for standard wheels on a lower end bike.

My questions to you all are:

1. If I am going to upgrade anything, is is a good idea to upgrade the wheels first?

2. On a budget of £200 max can I get something that will be notably superior/ marked improvement to the standard wheels on the bike?
I will be doing a variety of events/ rides from triathlons to sportives, so ideally these should be good all-rounders.
I hope I can get some good answers from you all - many thanks in advance.

James

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

Aksiums are a definite step up from what your defy came with, but litespeeddavemira is right: the braccianos are a steal at £250, although i think they're fresh out at the mo. also worth maybe looking for a second hand pair of ksyriums or similar, or asking round local bike shops to see if anyone's bought a posh bike and swapped the wheels out, you might get the swapped set for cheap...

litespeeddavemira | 14 years ago
0 likes

At that price, you'd be looking at a pair of Mavic Aksiums £190, or if you can stretch a bit, the Pro-lite braccianos are very light for £250.

Latest Comments