Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tiagra 4700 shift cable installation?

Having some difficulty getting the shift cable to seat correctly in my new Tiagra 4700 shifters. The dealer manual states that there is a "D" and an "S" side to the cable end, but not whether this is important in installation. Its a 4700-specific thing.

Should the shift cable end sit flush in the slot below the shift cable hole? No matter how I install it it seems to be at a slight angle. Still in the channel and not sticking out proud of the edge of the shifter body but definitely not flat.

First time I've cabled shifters and I can't find any guides specific to 4700 online - the shifter body looks different to the 5800 ones on my other bike.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

Ah, good advice about shifting with the hoods peeled back, that explains why it wasn't shifting when I did a temporary cable run

barbarus | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have to say I have Sora on my other bike and the difference is night and day. Particularly with front shifting

barbarus | 6 years ago
0 likes

Have you got it fixed? I installed a complete 4700 groupset 2 weeks ago. I can't quite visualise the problem you describe (I didn't notice anything about d and s) and mine are shifting perfectly. They don't lie totally flush against the bars but I can't really see how they could. I can post pictures if you want.

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Something else to note that caught me out both times having just installed a set of 5800 and 685 shifters. If you have the hood peeled back so you can feed the cable through, more often than not it stops the shifts from working ie the levers can feel like they're in neutral without pulling or releasing cable. As soon as you peel the hoods back into place the levers will start shifting up and releasing down again.

gonedownhill replied to StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

StraelGuy wrote:

Something else to note that caught me out both times having just installed a set of 5800 and 685 shifters. If you have the hood peeled back so you can feed the cable through, more often than not it stops the shifts from working ie the levers can feel like they're in neutral without pulling or releasing cable. As soon as you peel the hoods back into place the levers will start shifting up and releasing down again.

Think I had this problem combined with the one above about being in the lowest gear when I built up a mate's bike for him. Fucked about clicking the shifters about with the hoods up before I begun, then was baffled as to why I couldn't get the cables in properly even when I thought I was in the right 'gear'. The bit where the cable end sits rotates as you click through, should be a nice gap for it to sit in if you are in the correct gear.

kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, will take another look at the cable orientation tonight. Almost there on the build, just shift cables, adjustments, and chain to do  4

TypeVertigo | 6 years ago
0 likes

This should help you.

http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-ST0002-04-ENG.pdf

Page 9 indicates the "S" and "D" markings on the shift cable heads you're referring to. Seems like all that's needed is that the "S" marking is upwards.

Regarding the cable - as long as the head is properly seated into the STI lever body, you should be fine. Try putting the cable under a bit of tension using your hands, then test-shifting.

Rich_cb | 6 years ago
0 likes

I had this problem, from what I can remember you've got to make sure that your shifter is in the highest gear when you install the cable. Sits nicely then.

Woldsman | 6 years ago
0 likes

I can't visualise this, but tomorrow's ride buddy has a 4700  groupset. If you don't get sorted perhaps you might post a photo or two and I'll try to take similar to compare. Just a thought. (I'm going to a bike shop today so I'll have a look at a 4700 bike, anyway.)

Latest Comments