Home

I see the guy who knocked someone over whilst jogging has been arrested on suspicion of GBH.

Maximum sentence for GBH is life imprisonment.

Hit someone with your shoulder - GBH.
Hit someone with your Range Rover - 3 points and a fine.

The system is insane.

21 comments

Avatar
Rich_cb [792 posts] 11 months ago
6 likes

Just having a little rant!

Avatar
stemps [7 posts] 11 months ago
1 like

You're right, it's insane. 

As someone who runs as well as cycles, I'm now reading in national 'newspapers' that I'm a dangerous scumbag who should be banned from all pavements and paths. One sociopath represents all runners, apparently.  

Fat old men such as Adam Boulton want to tell people where they are allowed to exercise. 

Avatar
brooksby [3302 posts] 11 months ago
5 likes

The Putney Bridge incident is just so weird and I'd love to know wtf was going on.

Looking at the footage, the guy actually moves out of his way to then push the woman over. You can see why they treated it as  gbh or assault.

(But, in that case, why is there never any equivalency when a motorist has swerved out of their way to deliberately hit a cyclist?)

Avatar
davel [2390 posts] 11 months ago
6 likes
stemps wrote:

You're right, it's insane. 

As someone who runs as well as cycles, I'm now reading in national 'newspapers' that I'm a dangerous scumbag who should be banned from all pavements and paths. One sociopath represents all runners, apparently.  

Fat old men such as Adam Boulton want to tell people where they are allowed to exercise. 

Not only exercise. This doesn't 'just' cover leisure.

I have *some* sympathy with the notion that someone who goes for a jog or run should try to pick a route away from busier pedestrian routes, for everyone's sanity. I would have thought most runners do that anyway to avoid constantly sidestepping peds - that's the last thing I want to be doing when I go for a run.

But what about active commuting? I run home from the office every now and then, and I know plenty of others who do, and that means mixing with other commuters for at least part of the way.

Bitter fatties don't understand running or cycling to/from work, or the health, cost and relief-to-transport-network benefits it can bring to a country, so they criticise it. They'd rather bikes were off the roads and runners were off the pavements, because they're an inconvenience to them trying to wobble from A to B in a straight line. If we let them dictate travel policy, the country will be one big motorway with free mobility scooters to get you from your front door to your car.

This is just another excuse for the tubby majority to lash out at relatively fit weirdos. It'll blow over. There'll be a new flavour of Ben & Jerry's or something exciting their fat fingers next week.

Sorry OP: my own rant popped out there. Original point - yes, about time assault with a vehicle is treated as what it is.

Avatar
brooksby [3302 posts] 11 months ago
3 likes
davel wrote:

Bitter fatties don't understand running or cycling to/from work, or the health, cost and relief-to-transport-network benefits it can bring to a country, so they criticise it. ... If we let them dictate travel policy, the country will be one big motorway with free mobility scooters to get you from your front door to your car. .

WALL-E?  

https://animationfascination.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/wall-e.jpg

Avatar
FluffyKittenofT... [2133 posts] 11 months ago
3 likes

The amount of coverage and media attention this has gotten is absurd, when compared to how little attention is paid to things like the aggressively-swerving van driver elsewhere on this site.

That said, I admit I'm intrigued to know what this guy was thinking - it was such a peculiar thing to do, I want to know what was going on in his head. But that's the point, I guess, it gets attention because it's unusual, whereas motorists doing similar things happens all the time. And then idiots don't notice that its the very rarity that makes it news and start making crackpot generalisations about joggers.

Avatar
brooksby [3302 posts] 11 months ago
2 likes
FluffyKittenofTindalos wrote:

The amount of coverage and media attention this has gotten is absurd, when compared to how little attention is paid to things like the aggressively-swerving van driver elsewhere on this site. That said, I admit I'm intrigued to know what this guy was thinking - it was such a peculiar thing to do, I want to know what was going on in his head. But that's the point, I guess, it gets attention because it's unusual, whereas motorists doing similar things happens all the time. And then idiots don't notice that its the very rarity that makes it news and start making crackpot generalisations about joggers.

You're looking at it all wrong: remember - according to most media outlets, all accidents involving motorists and anything else at all are entirely the fault of the vehicle, not the driver, and we can't prosecute the vehicle  yes

Avatar
FluffyKittenofT... [2133 posts] 11 months ago
6 likes
brooksby wrote:
FluffyKittenofTindalos wrote:

The amount of coverage and media attention this has gotten is absurd, when compared to how little attention is paid to things like the aggressively-swerving van driver elsewhere on this site. That said, I admit I'm intrigued to know what this guy was thinking - it was such a peculiar thing to do, I want to know what was going on in his head. But that's the point, I guess, it gets attention because it's unusual, whereas motorists doing similar things happens all the time. And then idiots don't notice that its the very rarity that makes it news and start making crackpot generalisations about joggers.

You're looking at it all wrong: remember - according to most media outlets, all accidents involving motorists and anything else at all are entirely the fault of the vehicle, not the driver, and we can't prosecute the vehicle  yes

You're right, I forgot for a moment. Oddly the papers didn't report this as 'woman knocked over by a t-shirt, shorts and a pair of trainers'.

Avatar
Rapha Nadal [847 posts] 11 months ago
1 like

Odd that it's "suspected" GBH when there's clear video footage of the incident.

Apparently the lady who was knocked over caught up with him on his return to the bridge and as he ran back on the other side. He blanked her and refused to acknowledge her existence.

Avatar
Rich_cb [792 posts] 11 months ago
0 likes
FluffyKittenofTindalos wrote:

You're right, I forgot for a moment. Oddly the papers didn't report this as 'woman knocked over by a t-shirt, shorts and a pair of trainers'.

That actually made me laugh out loud, brilliant!

Avatar
brooksby [3302 posts] 11 months ago
1 like
FluffyKittenofTindalos wrote:
brooksby wrote:
FluffyKittenofTindalos wrote:

The amount of coverage and media attention this has gotten is absurd, when compared to how little attention is paid to things like the aggressively-swerving van driver elsewhere on this site. That said, I admit I'm intrigued to know what this guy was thinking - it was such a peculiar thing to do, I want to know what was going on in his head. But that's the point, I guess, it gets attention because it's unusual, whereas motorists doing similar things happens all the time. And then idiots don't notice that its the very rarity that makes it news and start making crackpot generalisations about joggers.

You're looking at it all wrong: remember - according to most media outlets, all accidents involving motorists and anything else at all are entirely the fault of the vehicle, not the driver, and we can't prosecute the vehicle  yes

You're right, I forgot for a moment. Oddly the papers didn't report this as 'woman knocked over by a t-shirt, shorts and a pair of trainers'.

Good lord: you're not implying that the papers might be applying double standards on their reporting...?

(Excellent comment, btw laugh )

Avatar
ChrisB200SX [769 posts] 11 months ago
2 likes

These joggers are always squeezing past me at zebra crossings and never wait for the green man, they should pay road tax and have some sort of registration plate so we can identify them... Maybe he didn't see her because the sun was low?

"Woman not wearing a helmet or high-viz collided with items of clothing" doesn't quite have the same feel to it as a headline, does it.

Don't get me started on what she was doing in the middle of the pavement.

Seriously though, I hope they get to the bottom of why he did it. Just like those one million sociopathic drivers they aren't doing anything about.

Avatar
dottigirl [819 posts] 11 months ago
1 like

https://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.com/2017/08/10/fighting-over-scrap...

With sharing space, this is the important point.

Avatar
jh27 [102 posts] 11 months ago
0 likes
Rich_cb wrote:

I see the guy who knocked someone over whilst jogging has been arrested on suspicion of GBH.

I don't think he has been proven guilty yet. I read elsewhere that someone who has been arrested (not sure if it is the same guy) has proof that he wasn't in the country at the time.

Also why is it GBH? According to the BBC, the woman received minor injuries. I doubt the injuries sustained would even constitute actual bodily harm, sounds more like common assault - http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/l_to_o/offences_against_the_person

The person could have been seriously injured or killed if they were hit by the bus, but equally they same could be said if they hit their head.

It is a terrible incident, but I don't think there was any crime committed which matches the severity of the incident. I'm not sure what the offence would be called for 'committing an act that could have caused a collision which may have resulted in serious injury or death'.

Avatar
Leviathan [3057 posts] 11 months ago
0 likes

They are now reporting the arrested man was in the US at the time. 

I have to say some of the comments on here are a bit shrill. The footage does look bad, but no one has been charged, no one has a sentence. Making comparisons to other cases that have resulted in deaths and convictions is fatuous, however unjust you think those cases are. 'CYCLISTS DISMOUNT' your high horses.

Avatar
Rich_cb [792 posts] 11 months ago
1 like
jh27 wrote:

I don't think he has been proven guilty yet. I read elsewhere that someone who has been arrested (not sure if it is the same guy) has proof that he wasn't in the country at the time.

Also why is it GBH? According to the BBC, the woman received minor injuries. I doubt the injuries sustained would even constitute actual bodily harm, sounds more like common assault - http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/l_to_o/offences_against_the_person

The person could have been seriously injured or killed if they were hit by the bus, but equally they same could be said if they hit their head.

It is a terrible incident, but I don't think there was any crime committed which matches the severity of the incident. I'm not sure what the offence would be called for 'committing an act that could have caused a collision which may have resulted in serious injury or death'.

The arrested man is innocent until proven guilty and I do think it's wrong that he has been named in all the papers before he has a chance to defend himself.

The reason I was so annoyed is the clear discrepancy between the way this case was treated by the police and the way that a lot of traffic cases are dealt with.

If a driver hits and kills a cyclist it's treated as a no blame accident unless the evidence is overwhelming.

In this case the police went straight for a very serious charge even though the injuries were minor and the intent to injure wasn't clear.

Avatar
Rich_cb [792 posts] 11 months ago
1 like
Leviathan wrote:

They are now reporting the arrested man was in the US at the time. 

I have to say some of the comments on here are a bit shrill. The footage does look bad, but no one has been charged, no one has a sentence. Making comparisons to other cases that have resulted in deaths and convictions is fatuous, however unjust you think those cases are. 'CYCLISTS DISMOUNT' your high horses.

Compare and contrast the police reaction in this case to the police reaction in multiple cases where cyclists have been killed or seriously injured.

There's an obvious discrepancy.

Avatar
Tommytrucker [91 posts] 11 months ago
4 likes

I'd just like to put in a good word for the bus driver. They have a bad rep on here ( and usually rightly so ), but this driver's reactions have potentially saved a life here, so well done, Mr / Mrs Driver.

Avatar
Richard D [129 posts] 11 months ago
3 likes

One DM columnist has managed to use the incident as an excuse for an anti-cycling rant.  During which she covers most of the usual bases, including that our roads weren't built for bicycles!

Avatar
TempleOrion [5 posts] 11 months ago
2 likes
Richard D wrote:

One DM columnist has managed to use the incident as an excuse for an anti-cycling rant.  During which she covers most of the usual bases, including that our roads weren't built for bicycles!

 

The DM and all its loathsome tabloid brethren should be run over again and again and then nuked from orbit.  Just to be sure.

Avatar
Duncann [1351 posts] 11 months ago
0 likes
Tommytrucker wrote:

I'd just like to put in a good word for the bus driver. They have a bad rep on here ( and usually rightly so ), but this driver's reactions have potentially saved a life here, so well done, Mr / Mrs Driver.

London bus drivers are usually pretty good. Elsewhere perhaps less so.