Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

open mould & expensive equivalent

Morning all. Just read the following article http://road.cc/content/review/222447-tifosi-ss26-aero-2017 and it reminded me of something I meant to ask a while back. The frame is described as open mould. So which bike(s)  have the same frame but different brand? And what else is out there? I believe the Beacon bikes are an open mould available to anyone,  as are 7vrn track frames. I've also end De Rosa bike? seen it elsewhere that many Planet X & Ribble are also open mould/clones of other, more expensive bikes. Indeed isn't there at least one Ribble bike supposedly identical to a high end De Rosa?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
0 likes

People were saying on here that one of Merlin's in-house offerings was actually a Ridley, but frankly if you look closely its really not the same at all, even in looks. Close, but not the same.

700c | 6 years ago
0 likes

I don't know of one, but in general only the big bike manufacturers or expensive niche brands have their own moulds and designs. Also retailers who have suddenly started making their own brand of bike e.g. Wiggle, I believe use open moulds.

Even then, many big companies with a propietary design still outsource the actual production to other companies (e.g. Giant make for some big brands).

Izaak30 | 6 years ago
0 likes

From my very limited knowledge I agree with the all of the above. Just wondered if anyone knew of a list somewhere that identified them all?

700c | 6 years ago
0 likes

Yes the concern around open mould frames  is really only related to those that are copies and made, for example, by  foreign companies, often in China, who might not provide a warranty or customer support in the event of a problem, or who are unclear about the provenance.  

The same applies to wheels.

Companies who stand by their products and particualry those who have full control over all stages of the manufacture are likely producing a better product and customer experience. Whether they use an open mould or not doesn't really matter, other than perhaps you're not getting the very latest design.

jollygoodvelo | 6 years ago
1 like

The first thing to emphasise is that even if two bikes came out of the same mould, if doesn't mean they're the same bike.  Even if (and it's a big if) the material is the same quality (Toray T800 or whatever), the skill of the actual worker who does the frame layup matters.  Think of a pile of food - I can take the same pile of food and the same pans, but the meal that Gordon Ramsay or another Michelin-starred chef would make will be much better than what I'd make.  Just because it's the same shape doesn't mean the clone has the same layup and therefore the same characteristics.

Which is not to say that all clones, or even all 'no-name' frames (Hongfu etc) are rubbish... but some might be, and you pays your money and takes your choice.

Also, not all bikes are made from one original mould - you can find designs where the front triangle is borrowed from one frame and the rear from another, which makes spotting them a bit more fun.

The De Rosa R838 was widely cloned a little while ago, I forget exactly which other bikes were the same shape though.

Latest Comments