Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best non MTB, recessed sole SPD shoes?

Wondering if you chaps/chapesses have recommendations for non MTB, recessed sole SPD shoes?

I need to have a ratchet and two straps as my feet often swell up enough for me to get pins and needles while I'm cycling, so that's the Giro Republic LX and Vittoria 1976 range out, not keen on the Shimano designs either.

Is the Mavic Ksyrium Elite Tour the only candidate out there...? surely there must be loads of commuters out there using SPD pedals that don't want to ride to work in MTB shoes?

Be delighted to hear recommendations.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

Tjuice | 7 years ago
0 likes

Why non-MTB shoes?

For reasons I can't quite remember now, I use SPDs on my winter road bike, and have an SPD compatible shoe.  Some of the Sidi MTB shoes are very similar in appearance to the equivalent road version, only with the addition of a recessed sole.

I have a pair of Sidi Cape MTB shoes, which are nearly identical to the Sidi Kaos road shoe.  It seems like many/most of the shoes throughout the Sidi range have a road and an MTB version.  I've been very happy with the Cape shoes for my winter bike (for reference, I also use a pair of Wire Carbon Vernice road shoes with my summer race bike)

Worth looking at BikeChainCafe if you are interested in Sidi shoes.  Their prices on Sidi shoes seem to be market leading (at least, they were when I bought the above two pairs over the last 12 months). I found the service to be excellent.

Dr_Lex | 7 years ago
1 like

The DZR range of shoes are another alternative to MTB-styled SPD. On days when I was "internal-facing only" (or whatever the expression), I used to wear them into, around and back from the office.

Now my commute is longer, Giro Empires e/w and work shoes left in the desk drawer.

TypeVertigo replied to Dr_Lex | 7 years ago
0 likes

Dr_Lex wrote:

The DZR range of shoes are another alternative to MTB-styled SPD. On days when I was "internal-facing only" (or whatever the expression), I used to wear them into, around and back from the office.

Now my commute is longer, Giro Empires e/w and work shoes left in the desk drawer.

What's your opinion on the DZRs? What model did you have?

I was originally eyeing their waterproof model. They're sold in my country, but rather pricey compared to, say, a pair of Shimano RT33s or RT82s.

Similar to the DZRs are Chrome's line of SPD sneakers - they're supposed to be made using an olden sneaker-making process that uses vulcanized rubber or something.

Billj | 7 years ago
0 likes

Still expensive but the Rapha cross shoes are in the sale & very good.

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

I use Shimano RT33s. They're the cheaper two-strap sibling of the RT82, but are identical in sole.

https://accidentalrandonneur.wordpress.com/2015/10/27/the-clipless-diari...

eddyhall | 7 years ago
0 likes

I am looking at this sort of thing too. I am quite taken with the Lake's linked above. Seem to be available for a bit over £150 in Orange.

Given that the OP alrteady has some Shimano RT82's but want to change I would think that the Shimano RT5's should be great. The Road.cc atricle says that they should be available from September. No idea about pricing yet.

MrB123 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for Shimano RT82s here. Seem to tick all your boxes.

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Shimano RT82 - incredibly comfortable and don't look too 'touring' for a road bike.

Just don't expect incredibly stiff race shoes and you'll be happy with them.

jollygoodvelo | 7 years ago
0 likes

I use Specialized Sport Road shoes - two-bolt SPD but no knobbly sole.  Shimano RT82 are similar.

Swami Dave | 7 years ago
0 likes

Bont Vaypor XCs are recessed SPD too.

Don't dismiss the Giro lace-ups. I have a pair of the Republic LX's and they are really easy to tune the fit and the laces don't come undone. There's an elastic flap on the tongue to tuck the laces into. They lace quite high up so you can secure them closer to the bottom of your ankle rather than the top of the foot, making them more secure while allowing room for your feet.

The only thing to watch is the reflective coating can be a bit fragile.

coops1967 | 7 years ago
2 likes

Lake MX 237 are excellent, and come in half sizes and a wide fitting - dual boas. (They're in their MTB section as all SPD get stuffed in there, but looks and performance are as per 3 hole bike road shoes)

http://lakecycling.com/collections/mtb/products/mx-237-wide?variant=9997...

Or laces and leather... Dromarti. Lovely actually.... even more stylish

http://dromarti.com/cycling-shoes/sportivo-classic

I have a pair of both that need to go as I've moved on to Speedplay - both are black, the Dromarti are 44 and the Lake 43.5 wide, both fit me well. Will be in the UK breifly in September if anyone wants them!

Mr Baxter replied to coops1967 | 7 years ago
0 likes

coops1967 wrote:

Dromarti. Lovely actually.... even more stylish

http://dromarti.com/cycling-shoes/sportivo-classic

I have a pair of both that need to go as I've moved on to Speedplay - both are black, the Dromarti are 44 and the Lake 43.5 wide, both fit me well. Will be in the UK breifly in September if anyone wants them!

Hey coops1967,

I'd be interested in your Dromarti.  How much are you after for them?

Can't figure out how to PM you, so drop me an email "funkingbaxter [at] gmail [dot] com"

captain_slog | 7 years ago
1 like

I agree there isn't much choice. The upcoming Shimanos look interesting: http://road.cc/content/tech-news/197090-shimano-sets-sights-urban-market....

Man of Lard | 7 years ago
0 likes

There's at least one Specialized branded MTB shoe with the ratchet/velcro combo - can't for the life of me remember which model it is though... Could be the Comp.

Nick0 | 7 years ago
0 likes

thanks all. I've been wearing Shimano RT82s for the past 3 years/12,000 miles of commuting and fancied a bit of a change, but with the same functionality!

Tried the Giro Republic LX and can't see myself living with the faff of laces andd the inability to lean down and click the ratchet one click looser.

Specialized RBX and Mavic Tour it is then. There does seem to be a bit of a gap in the market for shoes like these.  

nowasps | 7 years ago
0 likes

The Shimano RT82s look very similar to the Mavics...

http://road.cc/content/review/90820-shimano-rt82-spd-shoe

Just picked up a pair for less than £40 at PBK.

cdean | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have a pair of Shimano RBX shoes for recessed SPDs. Granted they're the only pair of cycling shoes I've ever owned, but they have nice stiff soles and I've never had any hot spots, even on 100km+ rides, plus you can walk without going flying on slippery / shiny surfaces. 

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-sport-rbx-road-shoe-EV195670?esv...

Simon E | 7 years ago
0 likes

Would you consider single-sided pedals? Could then commute/do casual riding in normal shoes on flat pedal and clip into SPDs when you want a 'proper' ride.

nniff | 7 years ago
0 likes

Mavic for me, and very comfy and easy to walk in they are too.

Latest Comments