Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cannondale CAADX 105 or Giant TCX SLR 2......?

OK, so after months of research, I'm now being hassled by my partner to make my mind up and choose my new bike.......

I have narrowed down my choice, as I'm after a CX bike for around £900-£1000, to:

• Cannondale CAADX 105  £900
  • Giant TCX SLR 2  £999

I can't find any credible reviews of the 2016 Giant TCX SLR 2 anywhere, but of course the Cannondale is a stock choice and has plenty of fans, particularly as a base for upgrading over the years ahead.

So the weekend question....... Cannondale or Giant?

Or perhaps the Rose Pro DX 2000 - around £1050 but with perhaps a better spec than both the above, just a 4 week wait to get it!  The Pinnacle Arkose 3 is a nonstarter - I hate the hydraulic brake levers on it and the frame is reported to be very dull and hard-riding.

I just can't convince myself what to do..........ideas on a postcard please........

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Recarobob | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'd agree with the previous comments about the CAADX 105, the brakes are good as disc brakes vs. rim brakes for all the usual reasons but after a year the adjustment on the Promax rear brakes seized so I changed it for an Avid BB7 which is much better. Same for the wheels in that I've been through 2 rear freehubs so have changed the wheels to Mavics. That said I've really enjoyed the CAADX as a great all rounder in all seasons.

TypeVertigo replied to Recarobob | 7 years ago
0 likes

Recarobob wrote:

I'd agree with the previous comments about the CAADX 105, the brakes are good as disc brakes vs. rim brakes for all the usual reasons but after a year the adjustment on the Promax rear brakes seized so I changed it for an Avid BB7 which is much better. Same for the wheels in that I've been through 2 rear freehubs so have changed the wheels to Mavics. That said I've really enjoyed the CAADX as a great all rounder in all seasons.

The brakes seem to be the Achilles' heel of the CAADX. I have yet to find a favorable review of the Promax Render R brakes. One major reason why the TCX was an easy sell for me was because they came with the well-reviewed TRP Spyres back when nobody even heard of them.

That said, I would recommend a third option in terms of bikes - maybe the Merida Cyclo Cross 500? That has most of the TCX's spec but at a slightly lower price. It has a nice round seatpost too so swapping it out for another is actually an option (Giant's D-Fuse seatposts are nice but shackle you to the company for replacements).

jonnythepanda | 7 years ago
0 likes

personally I'd steer clear of the TCX, I did two festive 500s and lots of winter commuting on mine (4000 miles). I found it was a horrible bike to ride. I'm probably spoilt by my TCR but the sight of the TCX waiting to ferry me to work filled me with dread every morning. I even took my zesty once because I could not face taking the TCX. I ended up giving it to a work collegue just to be rid of it. I only used it for Tarmac and fire road so I suppose if you intend to hit up some rough stuff then you might have a different experience. 

Got another TCR instead and slapped some guards on. My new winter commuter is so much nicer to ride.

Hth 

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Happy owner of a 2014 TCX SLR 2. The 2016 models use essentially the same frameset, but use 11-speed 105 5800 and Maxxis mud tires. I've turned mine into an all-weather light touring commuter/audax bike. It's a bit of a faff to fit a rear mudguard (no seat stay and chain stay bridges so I had to bodge those) but otherwise it's as adaptable as I wanted it to be.

The CAADX is very common where I live. Lots of happy owners as well, but I've heard too many horror stories about BB30 to consider it. The TCX uses BB86, which is still a press-fit system, but I haven't had any problems with creaking or bearing walk-out ever since I had the bike.

OhYesWell | 7 years ago
0 likes

went from a CAADX 105 to a Rose CDX3000 and can highly recommend their value for money; you get decent kit from the start. Four weeks is nothing, get your order in...

Oh, and the bike is great by the way.

the little onion | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have the 2015 Caadx. Good frame, shocking wheels and brakes. But these are easy to upgrade.

the little onion | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have the 2015 Caadx. Good frame, shocking wheels and brakes. But these are easy to upgrade.

easilydistracte | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have the 2016 TCX SLR 1, and have had the 2016 TCX Adv Pro 2. Love them both, with the addition of slightly lighter tyres they are happy commuters and 1-bike-to-rule-them-alls. I'd plump for the TCX SLR 1 over the Adv Pro 2, and the SLR 2 is essentially just as tidy. Surprisingly quick on turn-in. 

Latest Comments