Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Getting used to TT position

I recently started using clip on aero bars with the intention of getting used to the position for future triathlons and time trials.  Although I've had a bike fit for my normal riding I've not had one for the aero bars.  I've done a few rides in the aero position and found that the back my neck and shoulders are quite sore after 10 minutes or so, leading to me fidgeting for the rest of the ride. 

Would a decent bike fit alleviate this soreness or is it more a case of spending time in the aero bars and getting used to the different position?  I get the feeling that the aero position isn't exactly the same as a comfy Sunday bimble but should/could I be coping with it better?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

I am a human | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advice folks.  I've been moving the saddle much further forward than normal to keep my hips open but it sounds like I need to try bringing the bars closer.  I'll see how far in I can bring the bars and maybe add a spacer under the stem and see how I go with that.

Judge dreadful replied to I am a human | 7 years ago
0 likes

I am a human wrote:

Thanks for the advice folks.  I've been moving the saddle much further forward than normal to keep my hips open but it sounds like I need to try bringing the bars closer.  I'll see how far in I can bring the bars and maybe add a spacer under the stem and see how I go with that.

Be careful if you've entered a UCI accredited TT. They have a minimum distance between the front of the saddle, and the line down to the BB rule ( and some horseshit about ratios of aero to bike or some old crap) if it's just club TT riding, no worrys. If it is UCI, you may want to invest in a 'back to front stubby' saddle.

I am a human replied to Judge dreadful | 7 years ago
0 likes

Judge dreadful wrote:

Be careful if you've entered a UCI accredited TT. They have a minimum distance between the front of the saddle, and the line down to the BB rule ( and some horseshit about ratios of aero to bike or some old crap) if it's just club TT riding, no worrys. If it is UCI, you may want to invest in a 'back to front stubby' saddle.

That's a good point but I've got an ISM saddle and I'll mostly be doing triathlons where the UCI have no authority!

jimt | 7 years ago
0 likes

Just slapping aero bars on will stretch you forward and as you have found out this will strain back and neck. Please do not just try to ride on through this pain without change. I have met young athaletes with major back injuries form doing exactly this.

For a simple adjustment try moving your saddle forward to compensate. This obviously will have other impacts on you fit. Normally aerobars will usually have the effect of rising your front end over standard riding on tops. (assuming they are positioned correctly and not too far out in front)

I would considder getting a fit to get you comfortable.

On a road bike swapping out the stem for when using aerobars is very easy, practical and cheap way of maximising your aerobar experience.

Judge dreadful | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've never found the most efficient TT position ( as determined by a proper fitting) comfortable. I guess it can't be. If a human body is forced into a 'shitting dog' position, it's not going to be comfortable.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I find I can increase my power in the TT position, opens up my hip angle, but it slightly compromises my breathing. Overall I am faster and able to hold this position for and hour or so. More than enough for the events I do

mtbtomo | 7 years ago
0 likes

I don't think a bike fit will help.  Aeor bars contort the body into a position they're not used to.    A higher position may be more sustainable.  Or move the saddle.  Its totally different to road riding, so what you sacrifice in power and comfort, you should gain in aerodynamics.

Much more that can be done before paying for a bike fit

What distance time trials are you doing (how long do you need to sustain the position)?  

Simon E | 7 years ago
0 likes

I generally find the tri-bars more comfortable than riding in the drops though I don't have a particularly low position.

You could try moving your saddle forward/back as that can make a difference. Are your extensions adjustable? If so then you could slide them fore and aft through the bracket. You could try changing the angle they tilt too, some people are happier with them pointed up a bit, others are dead flat while some riders can't get on with straight or S-bend and prefer J-bend bars.

How flexible are you? Some core strength work (plank and/or side plank) might help as well, though practice riding (hard) in the aero position is the main thing.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

If you're an older rider, getting into a flat back position can be difficult. I don't see many riders 40+ in age who can get into these Aero positions. Accept a more comfortable setup, something you could hold for an hour or more (25mile TT)

fenix | 7 years ago
0 likes

It's a very different position really.
When we were young and tri bars came out we would just slap them on and be fine. I suspect age makes that a bit harder. If you're suffering after just 10 mins you need a bike fit.
My mate had tri bars so comfy that he'd catch himself nodding off.

Latest Comments