Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sub £30 Overshoes

In preperation for the Summer.... (?) I feel I need some overshoes just in case rain falls on my event days.

In terms of sub £30 overshoes it seems you can't ever find anything that's gonna please everyone. A lot of people say yes this is great, others claim they saturate in 5 minutes. 

Any recommendations from the forum?

Right now I am considering either:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-neoprene-nylon-overshoe/

or

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-extreme-weather-neoprene-overshoe/

Both of which seem pretty much standard for sub £30 and with so many reviews and coming out over 4/5 I have to think they're the most verifiable choice.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

Dukofdeff | 8 years ago
0 likes

I own a pair of shimano neoprene Tarmac h2o and a pair of Tarmac h2o. I commute 20miles a day and will use the neoprene h2o when it is sub zero otherwise I find the h2o more than adequate and will be buying another pair when these give up the ghost...it's all about personal preference but don't restrict yourself  it's not a necessarily a one pair fix.

fustuarium | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've recently got Sugoi Zaps for exactly this not winter, water resistant, bit reflective criteria. Review on road.cc as well. AllTerrainCycles are clearing them at £27. Only down side I've found so far is there's no toe reinforcement so walking around in them might be an issue. I've used them much more than my winter overshoes this year.

MadHatter | 8 years ago
0 likes

Seems like the happy middling dhb shoes are what I want. Long lasting, water resistant and warm. Thanks for all the advice guys. Lot of good advice here if I ever want to buy any more specific purpose shoes too cheers smiley

nopants | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you want truly waterproof overshoes the only ones I've found are Velotoze. They're a pain to get on, and don't last very long, but after 100 miles on Dartmoor in torrential rain (and fog, and cold..) the only part of me that was dry was my feet. A revelation!

asdfqwerty | 8 years ago
1 like

I have the dhb neoprene ones you linked to. They're not entirely waterproof but they're water resistant and I've found them enough to keep my feet dry after 2-3 hours in rain or on wet roads.

The flaw in any overshoe (and shoe, for that matter) is the big hole in the top you put yer foot through. With that in mind, keep your bib tights over your overshoes. I find that water beads on my tights and some of it runs down the legs and over the overshoe, rather that inside it if they were tucked in.

As mentioned in other comments, they're not breathable and you'll end up with sweaty damp socks. I would rather my feet were warm and damp than cold and damp, though, so I prefer overshoes if it's cold and raining.

MadHatter replied to asdfqwerty | 8 years ago
0 likes

asdfqwerty wrote:

I have the dhb neoprene ones you linked to. They're not entirely waterproof but they're water resistant and I've found them enough to keep my feet dry after 2-3 hours in rain or on wet roads.

The flaw in any overshoe (and shoe, for that matter) is the big hole in the top you put yer foot through. With that in mind, keep your bib tights over your overshoes. I find that water beads on my tights and some of it runs down the legs and over the overshoe, rather that inside it if they were tucked in.

As mentioned in other comments, they're not breathable and you'll end up with sweaty damp socks. I would rather my feet were warm and damp than cold and damp, though, so I prefer overshoes if it's cold and raining.

Awesome sauce thanks all.

Nick0 | 8 years ago
0 likes

p.s. everything these guys do is good.

http://galibier.cc/product-category/feet/

Nick0 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've got three pairs of overshoes (I sold a pair on here last year too!) 

For properly cold (about 6-8 degrees depending on rain, and down to below zero) and properly wet, these - 

https://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=207&initcode=E0015

Really good, bonded neoprene, my feet will get warm over the stated temperatures. I think the bonding on the neoprene and maybe the zip will give way at some point, the stitching around the cleat/sole underneath is starting to wear away.  

The first pair I ever bought were Planet-X neoprene shoes, highly rated by cycling weekly, very reasonably priced and as hard wearing as they come - they close using velcro, no zips, and breathe well 

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXOSH/planet-x-neoprene-overshoes

Not waterproof but will keep your feet warm once wet, I wear these between about 8 and 18 degrees. I used these on the Pru100 in 2014 when it p!ssed it down, they did their job and I wasn't cooking when the sun came out either.

Finally I bought these last autumn, particularly for commuting. Lightweight, surprisingly good weatherproofing (not waterproof but again keep your feet warm) but fragile. First pair I got the zips broke at the first attempt. Their reflectivity is the real bonus, but since they're on your feet, get very dirty... there are links on the right hand side to others. I wear these above 7 degrees, haven't worn them in temperatures above about 12 degees yet 

http://road.cc/content/review/109993-sugoi-zap-shoe-covers

Personally if I were to choose one material and style, it would be neoprene, and a velcro closure. Try the Planet-X jobbies, they're really very good, and a very reasonable price. I don't think there's much point in wearing an overshoe in the summer, maybe a toe cover. If you get wet, then you'll dry out fairly quickly, and unless you choose a really thin overshoe, which probably won't be waterproof, then your feet will probably get too warm. 

Hope this helps! 

Jimbomitch | 8 years ago
0 likes

Take a look at Caratti overshoes, I find they work really well and do good deals.

MadHatter | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for your time there all good knowledge.

I would imagine if it was just drizzling I would stick with leg warmers and no overshoes as I've done in the past.

If it was really bucketing down I would want the waterproof shoes, and then take them off when it stops.

I think I'm pretty much sorted when it comes to guards, upper body, etc. Overshoes are like the last thing I might need in case of rain.

I guess I will go with the cheaper dhb wiggle ones as they're 'water resistant' like your Prendas just that little bit cheaper meaning I can afford a luxury like a box of eggs or bottle of beer this week :l

I guess if it rains really hard I will put my feet in carrier bags inside my socks...

bendertherobot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Waterproof ones are warm. Very very warm. You will find that your feet sweat in the spring and summer. The winter ones are also a little longer than "protection" ones. I've seen people wear winter ones in the summer but, frankly, they aren't all that suitable.

Bear in mind, in the spring and summer, that you're likely to be wearing shorts. So the rain will run down your leg into the overshoe. Eventually you will get wet. That happens in the winter, of course, especially if you have tights on as they take in water and transfer it.

If you're in a cold Northern rain storm then winter or waterproof ones will be lovely. But then the rain will stop and the sun will come out. You may want to take them off and stow them somewhere. You may want to keep them on. Depends. 

There's pretty much no one size fits all in overshoes. In terms of ducking out of riding then there are other things that matter so much more, like good upper body protection and mudguards. Overshoes are great things but don't expect them to work miracles.

MadHatter | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the recommendations. 

I'll try to provide some clarity.

I've never used overshoes before, so I've nothing to compare to. I figured if it's going to be wet enough to wear overshoes then I won't boil in them whatever the thickness as they're not gonna be non-breathable and I would only wear them in downpour.

When I say 'event days' I don't mean Paris-Roubaix, I literally just mean days where it's more than a commute and I don't want to duck out of riding. As I said before just sportives and club rides.

It's interesting though you're recommending these medium strength overshoes that don't claim waterproofing, just because it's not Winter? Fair enough as I say I've no experience and had no idea I would boil if I was to wear waterproof overshoes in a cold Northern England rainstorm. I was just thinking I would get waterproof as I don't intend on buying another pair, like ever.

MadHatter | 8 years ago
0 likes

Really poor reviws on the BBB footwear http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/overshoes/bbb-waterflex-shoe-covers not waterproof or particularly warm.

bendertherobot replied to MadHatter | 8 years ago
0 likes

MadHatter wrote:

Really poor reviws on the BBB footwear http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/overshoes/bbb-waterflex-shoe-covers not waterproof or particularly warm.

That's A review of A BBB product  3 I had the BBB hardwear for years. The heavy duty will be good for spring/autumn.

MadHatter | 8 years ago
0 likes

The Aeron Speed link says they are literally designed just to keep your shoes clean and give them aero properties. No offense and thanks for the suggestion but I couldn't care less about either of these. I just want something so that if there is a heavy downpour on club ride or sportive day I can go out and not get numb, soaked feet.

So that's why I'm only wanting one pair. BBB look nice and cheap, not available in my size though.

Any reason you would recommend the heavy duty over the waterflex? http://www.amazon.co.uk/BBB-Waterflex-Road-BWS-03-Overshoes/dp/B004M2XY9...

bendertherobot replied to MadHatter | 8 years ago
0 likes

MadHatter wrote:

The Aeron Speed link says they are literally designed just to keep your shoes clean and give them aero properties. No offense and thanks for the suggestion but I couldn't care less about either of these. I just want something so that if there is a heavy downpour on club ride or sportive day I can go out and not get numb, soaked feet.

So that's why I'm only wanting one pair. BBB look nice and cheap, not available in my size though.

Any reason you would recommend the heavy duty over the waterflex? http://www.amazon.co.uk/BBB-Waterflex-Road-BWS-03-Overshoes/dp/B004M2XY9...

What event days? 20 degrees summer rain? Ge wet, if you want to keep your feet clean get the Aeron. If you want to boil get neoprene.

If you want something to wear now get the dhb neoprene ones. If you want them for winter get the BBB, available loads of places. 

Have a look on Prendas. Their light overshoes are another good one.  http://www.prendas.co.uk/prendas-ciclismo-aqua-light-winter-overshoes.html

So, when you say event days, what do you mean?

bendertherobot | 8 years ago
0 likes
MadHatter | 8 years ago
0 likes

Well yeah I mean I'm thinking, I'm only gonna buy one pair of overshoes for if it's really cold, really wet. I'm not looking to compliment all weather types - I can't afford it!

Leviathan | 8 years ago
0 likes

These are both heavy winter weight overshoes. If you want summer weight, get some something lighter like Velotoze or Castelli Nano.

Latest Comments