Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Evans cycles grrrrrrr

Has anyone else had trouble with these lot regarding refund/exchange.My daughter bought me a pair of Louis Garneau shoes in a 44.I already had a pair of the same make shoe. The new ones are narrower so didn't fit.They were returned to the nearest store hoping to just exchange them.They didn't have any in stock and wouldn't return money to her account.They did however say they would get a pair sent to the store, and email her when in.Now this is a 40 mile round trip to the shop.She asked if they would post out as in original order,and she would pay postage this time.They said no you have to collect.Then we got an email to say bring passport/driving licence,and the invoice.We dont have a printer and she hasnt got either a driving licence nor passport yet.She mailed them to say her brother (my son) would collect them show his licence and have her debit card.They wouldn't accept that.IShe asked for a refund as was sick of this.They agreed but as yet she hasn't got her money back 2 days later.This whole thing has taken over a week.Oh and they say the shoes are out of stock yet I could still get them online as of 5 minutes ago.I won't be using these again that's for sure and have spent quite a bit over the years with them.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

Angry Egg | 8 years ago
0 likes

Either way the shoes are fabulous no? Got mine for £118 with an extra 10% off. Which I promptly spent the money on some castelli quindichi socks!

flyingpitman | 8 years ago
0 likes

OK a few replies to people here.Maybe I wasn't clear on a few things or some need to go to spec savers  1 

1st she got her refund after 1 week so that's solved.Maybe a bank issue,so no blame to evans.

2nd @ rjfrussell as I said above, I ALREADY  have a pair of Louis Garneau shoes.So I didn't think I would need to try them on.These shoes were returned next day to store,Wishing for exchange.Refund took a WEEK.

3 @ mortbone I have spent a lot of money (into £1,000+) with evans over the years so I didn't hate them.I still don't but wont use again my choice.They are not a patch on Wiggle mind (no wiggle didnt have these ones).

4.@KidColgan We didn't want a refund though.My son did have her card with him,she cant go to store 20miles away because of work.We wanted an exchange,otherwise would have posted them back.He also had the receipt.He asked if they would post the exchange shoes out at our expense they said no they cant do that?? Surely they could see in their orders and on the receipt the method of payment.It wasn't a cash refund wanted.The ID issue was they wanted her ID to pick up shoes that were already paid for.It's the same surname and address so why couldn't he just show his ID and the email through his phone.As an example you get a pair of shoes for xmas,they are too small and you want an exchange.You have the receipt from the person who bought them for you.They cant get to store.So what do you do?

5 @Angry Egg it was same pair of shoes you got.They said they would exchange them and send email to collect from store.They wouldn't post back out,even at our cost.This is where the problem lay.My daughter cant get to store so it would have to be my son,she hasn't got a driving licence nor passport yet (which they asked for).He was going to show his licence her debit card,and the order/email response on his phone.Then we got email saying now out of stock.They were and still are in stock at the size we wanted.I have since had an apology from evans saying It was a misunderstanding on their part as they wouldn't turn away custom.Hence wanting a refund.I should have got her to do what you did and ring them up.cheers

It's very rare I have had to send kit back to any company as do my homework before hand.Having the same manufacturer's shoes I thought they would fit the same,silly me.

The mistake I made was we should have checked to see if they had stock in the store.Then if not post back.Lesson learnt.

Kid Colgan | 8 years ago
2 likes

If your daughter bought them for you using her card but then you returned them to a store it's obvious that you wouldn't get a refund. To issue a card refund you would need to have the original debit/credit card with you. If you didn't have it that's your fault not the stores. If you had a receipt then you could have been given store credit.
As for the matter of needing ID to collect an order, this is very clearly explained on the website and in the email you get from the store when your order is ready to collect. Standard procedure for your security.
Your issues certainly don't appear to be representative of the company as a whole

rjfrussell | 8 years ago
2 likes

So, you have bought a pair of shoes, without trying them on first.  They don't fit.  Within a week, when asked, Evans agree to a full refund, but, after two days, the money has not hit your account yet. 

And now you are going to boycott Evans?

Not sure that you are getting the sympathy vote here.

mortbone | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've purchased and returned many items from Evans without any problems and issues raised by others on this thread. I think people like to hate Evans but I've found them to be better than other major bike retailers, Smaller chains and LBS for returns or exchanges.  

Bikebikebike | 8 years ago
0 likes

I repaired two punctures with a repair kit from them. Different bikes. Both were flat the next day, not something that's ever happened to me before. I took it in really just to make a point: the few quid it cost is nothing compared to the annoyance of waking up to a flat tyre (twice) but thought they should refund me. The guy said I had to bring the tube in to show him that I had used the kit properly. Truly amazing. 

Angry Egg | 8 years ago
0 likes

I brought a pair of Louis Garneau course air lite with evans recently (online), the first pair came and they were not in great condition so sent them back and got an immedate refund, brought another pair of the same product on the same day. I did this so i didnt have to wait for evans to get the shoe back and then send another as a replacement, which is would have taken more then a week.

I spoke to their customer services over the phone before doing the above and they were helpful and friendly. Which is simular to most of the big online chains i dealt with.

Just another quick point, a couple of months ago a brought a leyzne strip pro rear light from the reading evans store, the light came off my bike and was lost on my 2nd ride. At the time i was pretty annoyed and wanted to claim a manufacture warrenty but evans just sent a replacment. And these things were like £40 a pop. So I got nothing bad to say about them.

Back to the OP's post, when i wanted to return the first pair of shoes, when i was arranging the refund i was given the option of posting it back or dropping it in the nearest store. So I don't understand why on what basis they wouldnt accept a refund, unless the shoe was worn or used? 

But I'd imagine having your son going to the store with your daughter's ID wouldnt be enough. It would be simular if I give someone else's my ID to go collect a parcel in the post office, they would just be turned away. 

Tjuice replied to Angry Egg | 8 years ago
1 like

Angry Egg wrote:

But I'd imagine having your son going to the store with your daughter's ID wouldnt be enough. It would be simular if I give someone else's my ID to go collect a parcel in the post office, they would just be turned away.

Not necessarily.  Because of my commuting/working times, it is always my wife who has to do the post office parcel collection for me.  I give her one of my credit cards to take with her and she has not yet had any problems.

AKH | 8 years ago
0 likes

My local store, Chester, has always been pretty good with regards to returms/exchanges. They even let me exchange a saddle that was outside the normal return period a few weeks ago.

As ibr17xvii said, I'm normally not even asked for ID when I go to collect an order, although I was last night, probably because it was a faily expensive item.

The last time I had a refund, it was almost instant, but that was with a credit card, which I believe has different rules regarding the time the transaction has to clear.

I'm having some issues with a Tacx Satori Smart I bought from them recently so I'll let you know how the experience goes when I contact them.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have ordered a few times and it always send the parcel to the local branch some 40 miles away. I then have a song and dance trying to get it redelivered. Wiggle and Chain reaction, first then German sites next. Sorry Evans

ibr17xvii | 8 years ago
1 like

Whenever I've ordered online & collected in store they've never asked for ID.

You shouldn't need to print out your invoice either, they've always just seen the email on my phone.

kenyond | 8 years ago
0 likes

Bought loads from them as well never had an issue with refunds or anything, one thing I have noticed is just because somethings available online doesnt mean it is in the store, most online orders will be dispatched from a warehouse and not the store.

As for refunds they can take 3-5 days to process, its the banks that take the time not the business. So if 2 days ago they were asked to do the refund its on its way...

emjay49 | 8 years ago
1 like

Same as amazon22 really. Have bought quite a bit from them and have received excellent service when returning items either direct in the post or via in store. Just followed the rules as advertised. 

amazon22 | 8 years ago
3 likes

Bought quite a lot from them over the years - never had an issue with returns and they're very quick to refund - 2 or 3 days.

Toekneewood | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi, check out their return policy. They should give you a complete refund. http://m.evanscycles.com/delivery

Latest Comments