1. Assos is the brand that road.cc readers think most likely to take over from Rapha as clothing sponsor to Team Sky in 2017.
2. The world’s longest bicycle measures 35.79m (117ft 5in).
3. Peter Sagan can ride a scaled down penny farthing 12 feet in the air.
4. Women’s Podium Pants exist.
5. There are plans for robots to work autonomously to inspect and repair potholes in the road.
6. There are a helluva lot of yellow jerseys allegedly signed by Lance Armstrong out there.
7. Chris Froome has been cracking into burgers and beer.
8. Maple syrup is the next big thing in sports nutrition.
9. The world’s lightest folding bike weighs 6.5kg and it’s made in the UK from carbon-fibre.
10. The oldest professional bike racer is 49 years old.
11. Boardman Bikes is planning a new performance centre featuring a cycle-specific wind tunnel.
Mat has been in cycling media since 1996, on titles including BikeRadar, Total Bike, Total Mountain Bike, What Mountain Bike and Mountain Biking UK, and he has been editor of 220 Triathlon and Cycling Plus. Mat has been road.cc technical editor for over a decade, testing bikes, fettling the latest kit, and trying out the most up-to-the-minute clothing. We send him off around the world to get all the news from launches and shows too. He has won his category in Ironman UK 70.3 and finished on the podium in both marathons he has run. Mat is a Cambridge graduate who did a post-grad in magazine journalism, and he is a winner of the Cycling Media Award for Specialist Online Writer. Now over 50, he's riding road and gravel bikes most days for fun and fitness rather than training for competitions.