Updated: A 'respect ride' due to have been held this Sunday in memory of a cyclist killed in a collision with a double decker bus at the end of November has been cancelled at his family's request.
We reported how David James, 35, was hit on his way to work at 4am on Saturday November 30th, on a stretch of road campaigners say is dangerous.
The ride had been due to take place on Sunday December 15 at 10.00am, starting at Newcastle Civic Centre and finishing with a minute’s silence at Cambourne Place, where the collision happened.
A neighbour told Sky Tyne and Wear David was a: "hard-working, lovely lad"
The crossing of Cambourne Place and Durham Road, where the incident happened, has a bus lane and a partial cycle lane. The road was closed until 9am yesterday.
David’s cousin wrote on Twitter: “My cousin got hit by a bus in Gateshead this morning and died. RIP David.”
Katja Leyendecker, of Newcastle Cycling Campaign, said: "It is a tragedy that a young man has been killed.
"The A167 is a really, really bad road for cyclists.
"Basically; everything is wrong with it. There are partial cycle lanes in some sections, some sections with bus lanes for cyclists to share, and on other sections there is no provision at all.
"Traffic moves quickly and some drivers can be aggressive. It does not feel safe.
"The section where he has been killed, near the five bridges roundabout, is very, very difficult for cyclists to negotiate.
"It is a place we are calling for better provision. Every road in Newcastle and Gateshead that has a speed limit of 30mph and above should have a cycle specific space on it."
Tom Dodds, for the bus company Go North East, said a full investigation would be carried out.
A Northumbria Police spokesman said: “Enquiries into the collision are ongoing and officers are appealing for anyone that may have been on the roads in the Shipcote Lane or Cambourne Place areas around 3:30am on Saturday morning and who saw anything to contact them with any information.”
The police can be contacted on 101.
Editor's note: This story was originally published on 8 December 2013 but has been updated and republished to reflect the ride being cancelled.