Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pricing a bespoke bike for sale?

I'm considering selling my Bowman Layhams as a full bike. This was a self-build using a mixed group (mostly Tiagra/105). Finished to a high standard, even if I do say so myself, and fully serviced. Sitting on Vision 35 wheels with Veloflex Master 28s. Plenty of length left in the steerer for adjustment if needed. All in would cost around £2500 to build up new, including labour.

Frameset is three years old, it's not seen a huge amount of use because I changed jobs and then COVID hit. Mostly riding MTB now so it's sat in the shed doing nothing. Only cosmetic issue is some minor chain scuff to the chainstay.

Thoughts on pricing? I'm thinking £1500 on eBay based on what the Genesis Volare sells for.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Nick T | 2 years ago
1 like

What's bespoke about it, is the frame custom built to your geometry?

Youd be better off breaking it down and selling the parts tbh

Recoveryride | 2 years ago
2 likes

I've found BIN listings for full bikes or high value items tend to struggle on ebay; they seem to attract a ton of watchers, but few bidders. I would either auction it with a reserve - though you'll get charged if it doesn't sell - or set your starting price at what your effective reserve is. That said, you lose nothing from listing it at BIN/BO for a week and seeing if there's interest. 

I have a feeling that 1.5k will be perceived as top end on ebay for not full 105 & alloy IMO, though the Visions are nice. You also have the kind of bike that would do better on somewhere like LFGSS, I reckon.

You may find that the worldwide parts shortage means you'd get more from splitting. I have done this twice in the last year; on both occasions,  I couldn't get what I considered a fair price at BIN/BO, but got top end of what I was expecting when I divvied everything up.

kil0ran replied to Recoveryride | 2 years ago
0 likes

I'll keep an eye on the spare part prices. Currently up as a complete bike but you're probably right - and it would be a bigger market because I'd be able to post it. Definitely not entrusting it to a courier...

David9694 replied to kil0ran | 2 years ago
0 likes

Photo? 

All my experience is as a buyer and I think if you pack it in a proper bike cardboard box and ensure it can't move around therein, it gets treated ok - it's too big and heavy for them to chuck around. (detach rear mech and pedals, turn handle bars, obvs). Some frames arrive with me in little more than plastic sheeting wrapping.

I get the impression there are some PITA tyre-kicking "buyers" out there who bid/offer, but can't pay.  I prefer BIN myself. I'm suprised vendors bite on an offer at 20% below the price with the shortages and lovely spring weather. 

Personally, I'd rather distance sell.  You need to get your search terms and meta data right - e.g.  I have ebay searches on 531c and on Viner for example. Yours is a bit of a niche brand in the wider scheme, with boring old unbranded steel, I think - what are the bike's capabilities? 

Latest Comments