Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Passive Aggressive Pedestrians

In the summer I often go off-road on some of the gravel trails around the Mersey. There seems to be a tutting generation of passive aggressive pedestrians who seem surprised that there would ever be a cyclist on these trails, including those clearly marked as part of the National Cycling Network (although some of those are just muddy pathways.) Even though I am slowing down to pass them and they hear my freewheel, or I even say 'excuse me' to pass them, I get some of the most panicked responses with people jumping out of my way or even stepping in front of me like they were being chased by a lion.

And then come the comments. I was going along a nice wide alternative route to a bypass road, 4m wide Network route. I go to the left of the route and a fella grabs his Golden Retriever and pulls it the full width of the route and says 'Your Welcome' loudly as I pass. This wasn't a fast process, I didn't ask you to throttle your dog. That is even before I have to navigate the horse turds there. And then there was the family on one side of the path. Dad calls out to his dog at the last moment and instead of leaving it to safely snuffle in the bushes it runs to him directly in front of me. Not only is it off the lead on a popular cycleway shouting at it is the very last thing you should be doing.

There are 10's of thousands of miles of mixed use pavements and routes in this country; however pedestrians always assume you are not supposed to be there no matter how slowly you approach them. Roads are for cars, paths are for pedestrians, don’t dare to ride on either or expect the wrath of the tutting classes.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

48 comments

grumpyoldcyclist | 3 years ago
5 likes

As a (2) dog owning, car driving cyclist these comments are very illuminating. Whilst we had lockdown (remember that) I went out of my way to say 'hi' to all the walkers, riders, joggers etc that were outside with nothing else to do, and there were LOADS of them. There are less now as some have gone back to work, but there's still more than normal.

Why did I say hi? Two reasons, one a positive spin, so that people who'd not done this sort of thing before might be surprised / encouraged that people were so friendly outside of their cars. Secondly, the cynical approach was that it might remind the daft 4x4 drivers who don't know the width of their modern vehicle that cyclists are actually human and can be polite.

Bigger picture folks.

LetsBePartOfThe... | 3 years ago
1 like

A scenario I'm now becoming very aware of ( whether I am cycling, jogging or even walking ) is pedestrians walking side by side, who then separate themselves to both sides of the path. This means my having to pass inbetween them.  And too close for social distancing. In which case I just stop to figure something else out.

So these days I tend to call out ahead of my approach, "single side of the path please".  Is this a reasonable request from me - especially in our new normal; or does it sound rude to be marshalling them so, on their walk

mdavidford replied to LetsBePartOfTheSolution | 3 years ago
1 like

Does it actually work though? Surely most of those people intend to move one side of the path anyway - it's just that they both think that it's their side that they should be moving to? I would have thought that all it's likely to achieve is them starting to go either side, and then dithering about which way to go. A 'Pass on your left|right please' seems like it would be more effective?

hawkinspeter replied to LetsBePartOfTheSolution | 3 years ago
3 likes

I think it sounds a bit rude as it's assuming that they need to be told (despite some of them needing that). Personally, I'd just go through the middle of them as it's only a second or two and I doubt that level of exposure outside is particularly dangerous.

'On your right' might be a better call.

LetsBePartOfThe... replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks both. I will use "on your right" . Achieves politeness,  but at the same time removes any latitude for them to choose to go the same way.  I should add this is not particularly a safety question - the pass is always at not much more than walking pace, and ready to stop if needed. Just an etiquette one ( me to pass considerately versus they to have default awareness that others would need to get past them with distancing )

MattieKempy | 3 years ago
4 likes

Basically we need to demonstrate the behaviour we'd like to see from drivers! What's so hard about that?

BIRMINGHAMisaDUMP | 3 years ago
1 like

Oh the tut - tutters. They're the worst. They glare and stand in front of their dogs / children to shield them as if I am a machete wielding, bubonic plague infested, son of satan hurtling past on a flaming chariot rather than a middle aged bloke on a city bike pootling along  at 5mph

Organon replied to BIRMINGHAMisaDUMP | 3 years ago
1 like

It must be the loud freewheel; they think I am a snake charmer leading a parade of rattlesnakes. I do go a bit over 5 though.

Gary's bike channel | 3 years ago
1 like

i'll just leave this here. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCL5UfCKJuY

Even with my loud ass horn, people still walk side by side then act all surprised or even hostile when they find themselves next to a bicycle. The signs tell you its not a pavement any more, its shared with bicycles- why not expect to see bicycles and keep single file? 

hawkinspeter replied to Gary's bike channel | 3 years ago
5 likes

Sorry, but pedestrians don't have to walk single file even though it'd be more convenient for others. Also, bear in mind that some might be deaf and thus not hear anything (and yes, they're allowed to walk there or ride a bike or drive).

mdavidford replied to Gary's bike channel | 3 years ago
5 likes

david rides wrote:

The signs tell you its not a pavement any more

It is a pavement - it's just a pavement where cycling is permitted. Pedestrians still have priority.

Sriracha replied to Gary's bike channel | 3 years ago
4 likes

Oh dear. And I suppose cyclists ought never to ride two abreast lest it invoke the ire of motorists? Big fleas have little fleas upon their back to bite'em, etc

Dicklexic replied to Gary's bike channel | 3 years ago
3 likes

What a fucking arrogant attitude on display by the cyclist in that video there! It's a SHARED use path between cyclists and pedestrians and should be used accordingly, just like the roads are SHARED between motor vehicles and cyclists. Whilst cycling on the road you expect cars to give you room and and give benefit to the 'vulnerable party', yet in that video the cylist is the aggressor and not deferring to the pedestrians that are by extension the 'vulnerable party'. How about trying to call out or ring a bell (in a POLITE fasion) well in advance of catching up with someone. Gives them plenty of time to see you and react by moving over, with no surprises and unnessecary aggro. Then you can thank them nicely when you pass. Riding up silently until you are right behind them, then getting frustrated is not the right way to behave. Did they honestly expect the mothers and children to dive into the undergrowth as they approached? Yes there are some pedestrians out there that like to be deliberately awkward no matter how accomodating we try to be on a shared use path, but honestly that video is a shocking display of cycling.

mtb_roadtripper | 3 years ago
2 likes

My touring/work horse has a bell as I use it mostly for working tours in Edinburgh and frankly the bell is the best most useful thing on the bike, I never realised until I started riding in a city a lot. 98% of people are appreciative of a well timed bell ding, some are stone deaf/have head phones in (some good bell dinging can usually cut through) and there is always a few that jump 10ft in the air whatever you do. 

On the roadie however I am very rarely on shared paths so I dont have a bell and it can get frustrating during the times I am but I think its a case of just reigning it in, using a jovial "beep beep" and ALWAYS expecting the worst. 

Gary's bike channel | 3 years ago
3 likes

this is my weapon of choice- 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrzYPPKrfiM

better than a bell. 

I hate shared paths. I'd rather be on the road getting beeped or shouted at. They don't work. The only time a bicycle and a pedestrian mix on a route that actually goes from one destination to another, as opposed to being a route in a town centre, is when children on little bikes use them. Thats the only time they work. Anyone else is probably going to be cycling at at least ten miles an hour. Thats three times a walking pace. So its the same as cycling on a road at ten mph with cars passing you closely and beeping at 30 mph.  If you put your speed up to whats a suggested maximum of 18 mph, its like cycling at 10 mph on a road with cars beeping and coming past you at 60 mph.  And if you remain on the shared path at 30 mph, it is exactly the same as a car coming past you as you cycle at ten mph, beeping and travelling at 100 mph right next to you. It really does not work and i loath councillors who do this. Cheap it may be, but it is good for nobody but very very slow cyclists.  You should not have to slow down for pedestrians on a shared path, it should be wide enough and marked so that you can go as fast as you like, without coming anywhere near them. Pedestrians are to cyclists what cyclists are to non cycling car drivers. They dont want us on the road with them, and pedestrians dont want us on paths with them. So dont try to mix us, put us on high speed seperated routes from both motor traffic AND walkers. 

fukawitribe replied to Gary's bike channel | 3 years ago
4 likes

You are part of the problem.

Dicklexic replied to Gary's bike channel | 3 years ago
5 likes

So if you hate shared use paths so much, and are not able to use them properly, as clearly demonstrated in your other video, stay off them and stick to the road!

HoarseMann | 3 years ago
0 likes

this approach hasn't been mentioned yet 

https://youtu.be/XXBxV6-zamM?t=4461

Cycloid | 3 years ago
2 likes

I often ride on towpaths. I don't have a bell, but try to approach pedestrians slowly from behind with a polite "excuse me" when I think it's close enough to be heard.

It's the ones with headphones that annoy me, I find myself just behind them shouting at the top of my voice, to no avail. They don't half jump though when I tap them on the shoulder!

There's always the nightmare scenario, Three abreast on a country lane with headphones, and a couple of dogs on long leads

Seriuosly though, we should know from riding in traffic that pedestrians have absolute right of way, and deserve our consideration.

bikeman01 | 3 years ago
2 likes

Covid-19 has added a new class of extra nervous pedestrian. You're riding along a road, the adjacent footpath is wide (maybe even on the opposite side of the road) yet the nervous pedestrian presses themselves as far over as they can, some even push themselves into hedges. 

I have this almost uncontrollable urge to shout 'boo'. 

Rick_Rude | 3 years ago
7 likes

Dog walkers on 'shared' cycle paths are usually pig ignorant arseholes. Took my lad out, doing about 7 - 10 mph and it's such a major inconvenience for them to put the dog back on the lead. He literally had to stop to avoid this piece of crap sausage dog going under his wheels. Obviously the owner looks at us as if we shouldn't be there.

If anything, dog walking should be banned as the owners clearly don't clear up looking at my local paths. Literal dog toilet.

PaulHerneBay replied to Rick_Rude | 3 years ago
2 likes

Toatally agree, whether I'm cycling or running dog owners take no resposibilty whatsoever and seem to feel they have a god given right to take up all available space, taking priority over everyone else. Selfish and rude and long, extendable leads should be banned !

Gary's bike channel replied to Rick_Rude | 3 years ago
3 likes

i got followed by a yapp dog on a shared path once, the owner had let him off the lead so he just followed me as i was jogging, i crossed a road to get away from him but he just ran across the road with me and all the car drivers started beeoing at me, as though it was my dog. then i just stood trying to make him go away for 5 minutes until the dumbass owner caught up and took him away. As far as im concerned, dogs should only be allowed inside houses and gardens, not out in public areas, they're not controllable, even if the owner thinks they are. 

Cargobike | 3 years ago
6 likes

Good lord, I'm not sure who's worse, the pedestrians, drivers or cyclists having read these comments.

I was always told to treat everyone on the roads as an idiot, that they are all out to kill you.

Likewise, on a shared path I always try to treat other users as actual people, you know, who can converse with each other. Use a bell if you really must, but it comes across as aggressive regardless of whether that is the intention or not.

Far better to slow down, state clearly your intentions in a calm voice, for instance "coming through on your left" and then thank them for moving over. If they are over dramatic, diving into the hedgerow give them a gentle dig, make a joke of it, we all need a laugh right now.

Obviously, it also depends on where you live and the cycle traffic on your local paths, but most pedestrians I come into contact with are absolutely fine unless you are pedalling like the clappers. There's always the odd one, usually a dog walker, but I just throw them in the river!!

However, one thing that is often overlooked in these situations is that your local pedestrian is usually one of your local drivers too. Giving them some respect may just give them the opportunity to respect you some other time on the road. Being nice, costs nothing and might work to your advantage out on the roads.

Sriracha replied to Cargobike | 3 years ago
5 likes

Bells aggressive? Depends what they are saying. If you are already coming through as you ding the bell then it's saying "move over, now". If you are still a way off when you ding it says "hi, there's a bike coming, just to let you know."
I know, not everyone hears it, yet I'm pleasantly surprised by how many, having seemingly not responded, do in fact step aside, at their convenience, but in good time for me nevertheless.
To do the same verbally, from that distance, I'd be raising my voice considerably. For whatever reason a loud bell is more accepted than a raised voice. And I think that being alerted from a distance is what makes the difference.

fizrar6 replied to Cargobike | 3 years ago
1 like

Likewise, on a shared path I always try to treat other users as actual people, you know, who can converse with each other. Use a bell if you really must, but it comes across as aggressive regardless of whether that is the intention or not.

Far better to slow down, state clearly your intentions in a calm voice, for instance "coming through on your left" and then thank them for moving over. If they are over dramatic, diving into the hedgerow give them a gentle dig, make a joke of it, we all need a laugh right now.

Crikey Crargobike, what colour is the sky in your world. Do you really believe cyclists go out their way to harrass and startle pedestrians, I'm guessing you have your bell wrapped in cotton wool so as not to sound too agressive.

Lets face it most pedestrians move over and smile but there are always the idiots who walk aimlessly into cycle lanes or refuse to make way for cyclists. If you haven't met them you need to get out more.

Saintlymark | 3 years ago
3 likes

Nothing quite as irritating as the sarcastic comment from a pedestrian assuming you should thank them for not being particularly helpful. We can all get it wrong sometimes, but I'll decide when you behaviour is requiring or thanks and when mine is needing an apology, thanks. 

srchar | 3 years ago
2 likes

Why wouldn't you thank someone for pulling their dog out of your path, even if you thought their action was unnecessarily swift?

brooksby replied to srchar | 3 years ago
1 like

srchar wrote:

Why wouldn't you thank someone for pulling their dog out of your path, even if you thought their action was unnecessarily swift?

Doesn't it depend on whether thet are pulling their dog out of your way or pulling their dog towards them (and into your way)?

srchar replied to brooksby | 3 years ago
1 like

I'd still thank them for making the effort even if the execution makes things worse.

Pages

Latest Comments