Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Loch Ness Century

We're considering taking the Caledonian Sleeper to Inverness (bikes go free, I was pleased to discover) and having a crack at the 100-miler around Loch Ness, possibly/probably with a ride up to Aviemore the day before as a warmup. The thing is our next available window for such a trip is October half term (week commencing October 23rd), I was wondering if anyone who has tried the ride around then, or if any locals are on here, could advise as to whether the weather at that time of year is propitious? Any other tips on the ride also gratefully received, we've both done a number of centuries, the toughest of which had 2500m of climb, so it's nothing we haven't done before but obviously if it's howling gales and biblical winds might be better left for spring? Thanks in advance for any information you might care to share.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

Oldfatgit | 4 weeks ago
2 likes

As assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups... you've taken Etape Loch Ness in to account with your date selection?

essexian replied to Oldfatgit | 4 weeks ago
4 likes

Etape Loch Ness is the end of April... I should know I've booked to do it for the fourth time.... this year I might actually be illness/injiry free.

Best I get training for it! 

Rendel Harris replied to essexian | 3 weeks ago
1 like

Phew - didn't actually consider that at all! Thanks for the info and OFG for raising the issue.

OnYerBike | 4 weeks ago
4 likes

I see you've now booked, but in case it helps:

May is probably the best bet weather wise, although there are never any guarantees. I got caught in a snow storm in early May in Aviemore a few years ago. It can go the other way too, in which case the usual sun/heat advice applies, with the additional warning that you can be more remote and so harder to find a petrol station/convenience shop if you need to top up on water (and opening hours can be more sporadic). Most likely is somewhere in between - cool/grey/breezey is fairly typical. Probably comfortable at low altitudes whilst cycling, but can feel cold if you stop anywhere exposed at higher altitudes. 

I wouldn't worry about midges if you're road cycling and staying in a hotel. You'll be fine whilst you're moving and fine whilst you're inside. But I have sworn off camping during midge season - being stationary in a grassy field at dawn/dusk is not fun.

Rendel Harris replied to OnYerBike | 4 weeks ago
0 likes

Thanks for this. We've booked last week in May so sounds as if that'll be giving ourselves the best chances. Good tip re water, we'll have four 1L bidons plus my 2.5L Camelbak so hopefully we should be alright and the shops at Fort Augustus, roughly the turnaround point, should be open. Always mountain streams at need as well!

jaymack | 4 weeks ago
3 likes

Mid-September 'till the first week of October at the latest. Otherwise it's May next year until the end of June (that's if you're lucky). Yes the weather may be kind at the tail end of October - and in this context 'may' means somewhere between very unlikely and not at all - I'd not take the chance and save your adventure for 2025.

Rendel Harris replied to jaymack | 4 weeks ago
2 likes

Thanks, we are now - booked for the end of May so fingers crossed!

wtjs | 4 weeks ago
2 likes

Well, after many years braving the Scottish Midge Season, it's my opinion that they're not at all the same as mosquitos, and my guess that the suggested repellent will have no effect at all. A misty wet evening with no wind will soon answer the question! Late May/ Early June 2023 was the best Skye No-Midge season I have ever experienced (starting June 71), owing to the dry conditions and good breezes, and even camping at Loch Coruisk was enjoyable. I think it's the weather, not the shower gel which decides

chrisonabike replied to wtjs | 4 weeks ago
5 likes

They like it wet (and around lochs...), they like it calm, they like it warm ... (and maybe previous year too) - but they can get you any time!

One of my worst experiences with them was doing the Ride To the Sun some years back (also a recommended ride if not done - a DIY ethos Carlisle to Cramond (Edinburgh) through the night around the summer solstice).  Admittedly a (mostly) warm night and still.  Was fine all the way up and over the Devil's Beeftub, then a brilliant descent down towards Tweedsmuir.  There was a water and bananas stop set up so despite feeling great (after the climb...) I pulled in with everyone else - and despite no more than a couple of minute stop and then a rapid escape in the light of day my legs looked like I'd got a terminal case of smallpox!  Just that hollow of the hill, it seems (I stopped before / after with no assaults).

pockstone replied to chrisonabike | 3 weeks ago
3 likes

Had two completely contrasting experiences on the RTTS. First time not a sign of them until we got over the top of the beef tub climb, then the descent was thick with them, especially at the Crook Inn banana stop. Second time they were all waiting for us at Moffat, with hardly any over the hill. I seemed to find it very easy to make friends at Moffat on account of the can of Smidge I was carrying! (Highly recommended product.) Avon Skin so soft moisturising spray was always highly recommended but I heard a rumour that either the recipe had changed or the mossies had become inured to it. I've heard it said that the Avon ladies of Hereford had trouble keeping up with demand from a certain section of the local population. Enjoy the ride Rendel.

Rendel Harris replied to pockstone | 3 weeks ago
0 likes

Thank you!

chrisonabike | 1 month ago
1 like

Not much useful info for you sorry, but an excellent choice!

I've done Fort William to Inverness a couple of times (once mostly on trails passing Loch Ness to the North, once mostly on-road taking the old Military Road to the south). Both as a 2-dayer (allowing time for train up / back from Edinburgh) camping at Fort Augustus.

Can't remember exactly what time of year but be prepared! Had a day and a half of very cold rain one time which made it an unexpected challenge. If not sticking to roads beware of forestry - a blocked off section on my more "gravel" trip needed a fair bit of portage.

The pull up out of Fort Augustus is a bit stiff!

Have also covered the section from Aviemore to Inverness. In reverse I wouldn't call it a warm up! (OTOH was on a loaded tourer that trip).

Don't be tempted to follow any cyclists onto the A9 (no idea why people do), there are paths / alternate routes.

Lots of places that might tempt you to pause (Falls of Foyers, on the shores near Dores, Clava Cairns ...) but it's all scenic (apart from Inverness. And Aviemore. Oh and Fort William).

Rendel Harris replied to chrisonabike | 1 month ago
1 like

I rarely disagree with you but on this occasion I will, all of that is useful info, thank you! Don't like the sound of the cold rain, we're thinking maybe (end of) May half term instead, is that in midge season?

chrisonabike replied to Rendel Harris | 1 month ago
2 likes

They can start in May certainly, but it's very variable / weather dependant. Sorry can't remember exactly when I was passing that way, was about a decade back (time's a'passing. Scary...)

Second essexian's comment about the A82. Were you thinking of something like this (just discovered the site, think my two trips covered most of that route):

https://lochness360.com/

That would avoid the bad road.

Thanks - have enjoyed a revisit of the memories. Good trips!

Rendel Harris replied to chrisonabike | 1 month ago
1 like

We were thinking of following Chris Sidwell's route from his 100 Mile Bike Routes book, looks to be mainly quiet roads and also most of the climbing comes in the first half which is a bonus. Thanks to your advice about cold rains in October we have somewhat impulsively this evening booked train and hotel for the end of May - cheers for the tips!

Dnnnnnn replied to Rendel Harris | 4 weeks ago
2 likes
Rendel Harris wrote:

end of May

As has been mentioned, there are never any guarantees but I'd say this was about the best time of year for the Highlands. Often better than summer (although that's because summer is often a letdown!)

Spangly Shiny replied to Rendel Harris | 1 month ago
6 likes

A word about the midges, as I recall they are in the same camp as mossies. They do not like the smell of Avon's Skin So Soft shower gel. I first came across this little nugget while serving in Belize and subsequently (successfully) applied that knowlege to my native land. Just start using it about 2 weeks before going (to Scotland).

I am not sponsored by, nor have any connection to Avon. I just know what works.

Rendel Harris replied to Spangly Shiny | 1 month ago
0 likes

Thank you, that's a very useful tip, I shall take some!

essexian | 1 month ago
5 likes

I would just like to warn that while bikes go free on the sleeper, there are times when "they" insist that your bike goes in a bag, rather than in the raw. It will normally say so when booking. 

It might not be a problem: there is bag storage lockers at Inverness Station but then again, might be a bit of a hassle getting your bike to the station in England. 

If you are going on road around the Loch, then beaware that A82 along the north bank is NOT a nice road to cycle on.... its not nice to drive on! Too many cars driving far too close and too quickly.

You may enjoy this video of the "Hill" on the south bank. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mzphYZEe0k

Enjoy.

Rendel Harris replied to essexian | 1 month ago
0 likes

Thank you, that's well worth knowing!

Latest Comments