Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Latest price rises...

I've been looking over the last few months at getting an aero bike. Pretty much at the start and now I'm set on an Orro Venturi but still, I've been looking at others..

A bottom of the range Cannondale Systemsix has gone from £3500 to £4500

A bottom of the range Trek Madone has gone from £3900 to £4600 (actually I'm sure it was aRound £3500 a year or so ago)

Canyon Aeroroad from £2500 to £3000 (that's the old rim brake model, the new model starts at £3700)

And now the bottom of the range Cervelo S3 has just jumped from £3800 to £4400

All in the space of around 6 months

Didn't even bother looking at Specialized as they are way out of range (all the above were too but I was dreaming..) Plenty more brands have done the same. Decent mid level bikes are now super bike prices.

Lower end bikes haven't escaped of course. 

Am I just getting old? People used to moan about this when I first started cycling in 2012, the latest prices are crazy. Someone must be buying these I assume

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

28 comments

Madteclind | 3 years ago
1 like

It's the same issue here in Denmark, it's absolutely rediculous. Even the second hand markets are seeing 20-30% increases, even in moderate at best builds..

David9694 | 3 years ago
0 likes

KMC chains seem to be level pegging with Shimano these days. 

jn46 | 3 years ago
1 like

I was shocked by the cervelo price hike. It's a grand on the higher end models, which weren't cheap in the first place. However manufacturers can put prices up as much as they want when they have no stock to sell. Giant seem to have decent levels of stock but I think if you ordered a 2021 model from other big brands where there is no stock, the 2022's will likely be available at the same time you might receive the 2021. My understanding is it's the Shimano parts shortage as much as the shipping delays and brexit issues. Probably best to stock up on basics likes spare chains and brake pads etc, just to be safe for summer!

jollygoodvelo | 3 years ago
1 like

Prices are definitely on the up, to such an extent that I wonder whether custom-made hand-built frames might almost be price competitive now, as opposed to selling a premium product at a premium price.

Bit tricky to get a 'quick' quote from a builder, and obviously you can't get a full aero bike made out of round or slightly-shaped tubes, but personally instead of hankering after a SystemSix I've gone back to thinking I might get a steel or titanium bike (Laverack, perhaps).

Dingaling replied to jollygoodvelo | 3 years ago
0 likes

My touring bike is a custom built aluminium frame (incl. carbon fork) and cost me 1100€. The rest of the build cost nearly twice as much again. (I bought the parts, ordered hand built wheels and assembled the bike). I found it was well worth doing because when I later looked at touring bikes in magazines mine was cheaper and a lot lighter. 

Podc | 3 years ago
0 likes

This thread prompted me to check the price of a Cube bike that I've been interested in for a while but no one has had in stock. The RRP has gone up 23%  Won't be getting one of them then.

Sniffer replied to Podc | 3 years ago
0 likes

I suspect that Cube bikes are made outside the EU, imported into the EU (Germany) and therefore subject to further 14% tarif when re-exported to the UK.  Just like Canyon.  Throw the COVID supply and demand premium (which seems to be around 10% across the board) and the double whammy of Brexit and COVID and a 23% rise is maybe not a huge surprise.

Podc replied to Sniffer | 3 years ago
1 like

Sniffer wrote:

... a 23% rise is maybe not a huge surprise.

It was. 

alan sherman replied to Podc | 3 years ago
0 likes

Even the decathlon RC 520 has shot up to a grand. I was considering one, but not at that price.

Sniffer replied to alan sherman | 3 years ago
0 likes

Decathlon are French owned.  If they are importing non EU bikes to France and then exporting to non EU UK they will have an extra 14% tariff.

Joe Totale | 3 years ago
1 like

The prices have gone so silly that I'm not planning to buy any more bikes and am happy to stick with what I've got! At least Mrs Totale is happy that I'm not thinking about N+1 right now.

Even the second hand market is mad. I bought a Kona Paddywagon for £250 s/h with a bunch of nice parts on it 3 years ago. I replaced those parts with cheaper ones and abused it as my everyday commuter/run around. I sold it recently on another forum very quickly for £250!

cyclefaster | 3 years ago
0 likes

It seems to be the same in the second hand market as well. I like to look at the UK road marketplace on eBay to see what's selling and prices on there are sky high for some quite average kit.

If I was in the market for a bike right now. An Orro Venturi would be to of my list.

Gossa | 3 years ago
2 likes

You have to factor in that bike spec's can change quite a lot year on year and therefore affect price. For example the Cannondale SystemSix Ultegra went from having a semi shallow alloy Fulcrum wheel to a full carbon Vision wheelset so we're not comparing apples with apples as thats a £1000 upgrade at least. However, bike prices have recently increased substantially due to the numerous reasons.

Firstly new duties, non e-bikes bikes coming in from Europe are attracting a 14% duty.

Secondly bicycle and bicycle component manufacturing factory prices have risen due to the higher cost of raw materials due to global demand of more 'stuff' (not just bike stuff) we want to buy, mostly originating in Asia.

Lastly freight issues. There are far less empty containers in Asia to ship 'stuff' around the world. This means that container prices have increased 5-10 times the usual cost and have been seen recently selling at auction for 16-20k euros (normally price is between 2-3K) so these charges which have been absorbed by brands over the last few months are now being shared across the supply chain. Before this, a brand bringing in a 40ft container of 'normal' bikes (£500-£800) would have been losing money on those bikes, at a time when there is unprecedented demand.

In this time, dealer margins have not risen, however one might argue that through the last year a lot of them have been able to sell bikes and gear at little or no discount (instead of going out of business which was the trend), and manufacturer/distributor margins have been impacted through absorbing the price and freight increases. 

I know a lot of normal cycling punters feel they always end up footing the bill but like all relationships...this one is complicated!

EddyBerckx replied to Gossa | 3 years ago
0 likes

Didn't know that about the spec change on the cannondale, though they did add £500 for the exact same model overnight as have the other brands I mentioned (or more).

yhe freight one is a difficult one, surely it's not dependant on the bikes orignal price though, it costs the same to ship a £500 bike as a 5k one.

im not in with all the conspiracy theories about everyone trying to rip us off all the time btw, I've just been left open mouthed at the overnight price rises on same spec bikes. Will be interesting to see what happens when the boom and pandemic calms down a bit

Gossa replied to EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
1 like

Yep costs to ship a bike are the same(ish) but you normally insure the more expensive ones due to the higher value so there are some variances. However if you're banking on X cost per bike and its 5 or 10 times X then that does impact all the way up the supply chain, those costs are real but hopefully will come back down, maybe after Chinese New Year later this month.

The price increases you're seeing currently are due to this perfect storm of increased cost out of the factory, additional shipping and tariffs if they come via EU. I dont see any brand jacking up prices due to the increased demand, its still a fiercely competitive market.

Who knows, prices may come down again when some of these issues change? Brands that buy from the EU will now resource from Asia if they can, shipping costs will stabilize but the cost of raw materials might settle down. This could be a blip.  

the little onion | 3 years ago
4 likes

Brexit creating supply chain problems and exchange rate issues. Disrupted logistics chains lowers supply. Rising demand for bikes during lockdown. Add that all together, you get increased prices.

BIRMINGHAMisaDUMP replied to Lance ꜱtrongarm | 3 years ago
0 likes

My word. Brexthick comments are even on this website. 

Simon E replied to the little onion | 3 years ago
0 likes

the little onion wrote:

Brexit creating supply chain problems and exchange rate issues. Disrupted logistics chains lowers supply. Rising demand for bikes during lockdown. Add that all together, you get increased prices.

I don't think we can blame Brexit (except maybe Canyon's latest prices for the direct sales model). Most of these price hikes already affected 2020 models, I've seen 10% is roughly across most models and not only in the UK. Covid has impacted massively on production of frames and components but also further down the line and coincided with a spike in demand.

A 105 disc-braked aluminium bike like the Giant Contend SL 1 discussed by a beginner on the forum yesterday costs £1,600 while the Trek Domane AL 5 Disc, a direct competitor, is £1,775. These are well-specced bikes but that is a lot of money for a bog-standard road bike!

Rim-braked models are still cheaper at the moment but even they have gone up. A bike that was £700 3 years ago is now £999.

Gossa replied to Simon E | 3 years ago
1 like

Simon E wrote:

I don't think we can blame Brexit

[/quote]

But Brexit has created a 14% duty rate on bikes coming in from the EU, how can you not factor that into price rises?

the little onion replied to Gossa | 3 years ago
0 likes

I wasn't blaming brexit entirely for the logistics issue - clearly Covid has had a massive, probably bigger, impact, particularly on parts from the far east. But Brexit has sent shipping rates through the roof on trade between GB, NI and the EU.

On exchange rates, bear in mind that the bigger importers will have hedged and ordered in advance where possible, so the increases we see today may be the legacy of changes in exchange rates a year ago.

Rich_cb replied to Gossa | 3 years ago
0 likes

Because the vast majority of bikes don't come from the EU and those bikes that definitely don't have also seen price rises.

Gossa replied to Rich_cb | 3 years ago
1 like

Rich_cb wrote:

Because the vast majority of bikes don't come from the EU and those bikes that definitely don't have also seen price rises.

You'd be surprised, Specialized, Trek, Scott, Cannondale, Giant, a lot of these are assembled or warehoused in the EU.

Price rises are not brands or distributors (or retailers) jacking prices up due to demand. I can imagine factory prices are rising due to raw materials but also PPE and covid compliant working which has never been 'a thing' in bicycle manafacturing (or anywhere i guess). The shipping and duties seem to be the short term issues, who knows, prices in the summer might come down as brands resource outside of the EU and the container shipping returns to some sort of normaility? Fingers crossed.

Rich_cb replied to Gossa | 3 years ago
0 likes

There was an interview with a specialized representative on road.cc who specifically said that they imported directly to the UK so would be unaffected.

Doubt the other big brands would sit back and accept a 14% price hike compared to a competitor.

Edit: Bikeradar did a nice article on this recently, the tariff busting Cotic sounds like the start of a trend. https://www.bikeradar.com/features/long-reads/pandemic-brexit-bike-prices/

Sniffer replied to Rich_cb | 3 years ago
0 likes

The link does suggest the tariffs have an impact on Specialized. Where before they could move stock between European and UK markets, that will not be so easy. Another example of a barrier to trade and a negative impact for the consumer.

Rich_cb replied to Sniffer | 3 years ago
0 likes

Not a huge issue though is it?

May even lead to greater end of year discounts in the UK as they'd be better off knocking an extra 10% off UK stock and selling it here than copping the 14% tariff to move it to the EU.

There are also ways around the full tariffs as the interview with Cotic demonstrated.

Sniffer replied to Rich_cb | 3 years ago
1 like

in itself.... no.  Maybe more likely than discount bikes in the UK market is that a cautious stocking approach will reduce availability.

As we agreed on a previous thread, at the moment, the bike consumer is worse off due to Brexit.  You may think that is temporary, I am less sure.

Time will tell.

Captain Badger replied to Gossa | 3 years ago
0 likes

Gossa wrote:

But Brexit has created a 14% duty rate on bikes coming in from the EU, how can you not factor that into price rises?

Sunlit uplands dear boy, sunlit uplands.....

Simon E replied to Gossa | 3 years ago
0 likes

Gossa wrote:

Because, as I stated in the post you responded to, most models had gone up in price by around 10% before the end of 2020.

Latest Comments