Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

La Vuelta

Favourite race of the year.

No idea who to pick, such a strong field I could have picked two or three teams. Just have to see how it pans out and react accordingly. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

82 comments

Dr Winston replied to stevemarks | 3 years ago
0 likes

My brother is one place below you before today's stage....he's never been anywhere near this high before. We won't talk about my disaster.

11waterloo replied to Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

Great win for 'our' Hugh though! Was willing him on over the last few kilometres - I'll swear he was wrestling his bike at one point! 

Dr Winston replied to 11waterloo | 3 years ago
1 like

Fantastic. He battled every single metre of that climb. 

Sniffer | 3 years ago
0 likes

Difficult stage to read today.  Kind of spreading my bets.

stevemarks replied to Sniffer | 3 years ago
0 likes

pleased I got yesterday right bought in 5 sprinters, almost left them all in but in the end only kept Bennett. went Arunbaru and Cort bought back Wellens and Roglic.

jollygoodvelo replied to stevemarks | 3 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

pleased I got yesterday right bought in 5 sprinters, almost left them all in but in the end only kept Bennett. went Arunbaru and Cort bought back Wellens and Roglic.

Similar for me - Aranburu and Martin back in, kept Bennett just in case he makes it up there.  Mind you Ackermann was climbing well the other day so they might have a rematch.

It wouldn't be the Vuelta if there weren't hilarious 20% climbs that aren't on the profile though!

11waterloo replied to Sniffer | 3 years ago
0 likes

So many different scenarios possible, not helped by any clear information about uphill run to the finish. Looks to be 1.5 km at just under 6% but the Vuelta seem to have liberal interpretations of the unclassified climbs! Watched a video of finish from 2008 Vuelta and it looked quite tough but the stage had apparently been raced really hard so all the sprinters had been dropped and.......... I really need to get a life! 

Dr Winston | 3 years ago
1 like

What a damned good stage that stage 8 turned into. Half way through I thought the peleton had all but decided to go on a club run until the end...well done Movistar.

jollygoodvelo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Just occurred to me that after a harum-scarum couple of months... this is it, the Vuelta is the end of the season. 

I suspect that much more weather like the last couple of days will result in quite a few riders deciding that their season is over and getting on the first bus home, so it might be a case of last man standing.

And let's not forget it could end any day anyway - certainly think that truncations and re-routing of stages will continue to happen.

11waterloo | 3 years ago
1 like

A properly mad stage today. Virtually impossible to know what was going on at the end (especially as I was flicking between Giro & Vuelta). To think that it should have been Paris-Roubaix as well today. Not sure I could have coped with a MvdP WvA battle as well! 

0 likes

What's going on with my home town boy. Hugh Carthy showing a clean pair of heels to Carapaz and Roglic....what a man. 

0 likes

Not the prettiest of 'sprinters' but emerged from the murk in good shape! Being in Southport we still count him as one of our own-ish.

0 likes

Something really endearing about him. We've done well for riders in the NW. I ride, when I can, between Preston and Southport...wide open and endless wind....I love it. I've seen Bradley Wiggins riding around a couple of times. 

0 likes

I ride out as far as Hesketh Bank occasionally but the wind is always in my face coming home - true for most rides starting in Southport! If I get the chance, Parbold Hill and its surrounding area is my favourite local cycling spot. 

0 likes

I don't bother with hills at all. I used to live at the other side of Preston which was always a bit easier to access the hills, I really don't like riding through Preston though. Riding solo in relentless wind on the flat lands can be quite the challenge...no respite whatsoever. I also like to ride retro so I'm on pretty damned heavy restored bikes, which adds to the pain. 

0 likes

In my heart I enjoy the hills but my head would say bombing down the coast road with a raging tailwind is better! 

stevemarks | 3 years ago
0 likes

How to raise the energy to "give a duck" after the Giro.

This seems like the top 3 are already cast in stone Roglic Carapaz Mas....Its a shame as it's a pretty nice route. but it all seems anticlimactical now. roll on 2021.

Dr Winston replied to stevemarks | 3 years ago
0 likes

* Carapaz, Carthy, Martin.

Condor Andy | 3 years ago
0 likes

I forgot to make subs here as well.....Oh no.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 3 years ago
0 likes

I went for a thin day with Philipsen and two others but chose the wrong two cheaper ones....at least Magnus Cort should have a chance tomorrow.

Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

Just a heads up for anybody unaware. Stage 6 has changed...

Condor Andy replied to Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

Tried to upload a new profile, but the database said no...

0 likes

Going off the blurb it sounds pretty much like similar riders needed on the new stage. 

Gkam84 replied to Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

Daniel Felipe Martinez and Simon Geschke DNS

That'll be my first loss from purist team, better than stage 1 I guess...

Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

How many fantasy points at the intermediate sprints for this one. 

Also 

How many actual race pts towards the pts Jersey on intermediates and on the line?...

0 likes

Looks to be 4, 2 & 1 at intermediate with 25, 20, 16 etc down to 1 for 15 th at the finish. All stages the same so harder for sprinters to win the points jersey. In the game it says 6,4 & 2 for the intermediate but I'm sure there are people more qualified to confirm that.

0 likes

Thanks. Always so hard to find that information and it changes so much. Makes a big difference to the game. Sprinters have no pigging chance.

0 likes

Fantasy intermediates are as normal, 6-4-2 because only 3 riders score points.

0 likes

Thanks Andy. Btw. I've had a couple of new lads playing in a little league. They find the wording a bit confusing on the stages. Dunno if that's something to look at in the off season...I'm sure they mustn't be the only ones. They play a lot of fantasy football so they're well versed in interpreting rules. Just thought I'd bring that up. 

0 likes

Ah okay. Can you find out which bits are the most confusing please? I'll make a note of everything for next year. I can't change the notes the are built in, only Dave can do that. I can add in extra notes when scoring differs from the norm though, but that's usually only for the GTs.

Pages

Latest Comments