Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

La Vuelta

Favourite race of the year.

No idea who to pick, such a strong field I could have picked two or three teams. Just have to see how it pans out and react accordingly. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

82 comments

Condor Andy | 3 years ago
0 likes

Transferred Cort out yesterday, Pog.

This race has been an absolute catalogue of rubbish decisions from me..

Sniffer replied to Condor Andy | 3 years ago
0 likes

Costa's relegation transformed an OK day into a poor day for me.

These last three stages have not worked for me.

Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

Longish odds for Valverde over the next three, I can't for the life of me believe he won't be looking for a stage win. This could well be his last Vuelta.

jollygoodvelo replied to Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

Certainly looking like his last Vuelta, but has he got it in him?  The finishes look too easy.

Mind you for the first 'guaranteed breakaway stage' today I have... no-one in the break.

Sniffer replied to jollygoodvelo | 3 years ago
0 likes

............and it might just be coming back together.

Sniffer replied to Sniffer | 3 years ago
0 likes

Maybe not then

Mac1937 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hello.

I cringe every time I hear a commentator (Rob Hatch mainly) say 'Yoombo' when referring to Jumbo. 'J' in French is NOT pronounced like a Y otherwise, we'd have "yolie" and "Yoomeaux" (pretty and twins), The 'Y' I suspect is because they think that as French is a Latin based language - like Spanish and Italian - then it must be correct in French : it ain't. For example, 'Jure' in Latin is pronounced Yoor - but not in French. I suspect that people like Kelly think that Rob Hatch's pronunciation is right as he claims to be some sort of a linguist. A false claim I think.

Gkam84 replied to Mac1937 | 3 years ago
5 likes

Mac1937 wrote:

Hello.

I cringe every time I hear a commentator (Rob Hatch mainly) say 'Yoombo' when referring to Jumbo. 'J' in French is NOT pronounced like a Y otherwise, we'd have "yolie" and "Yoomeaux" (pretty and twins), The 'Y' I suspect is because they think that as French is a Latin based language - like Spanish and Italian - then it must be correct in French : it ain't. For example, 'Jure' in Latin is pronounced Yoor - but not in French. I suspect that people like Kelly think that Rob Hatch's pronunciation is right as he claims to be some sort of a linguist. A false claim I think.

What is French about Jumbo being a Dutch supermarket?? He is pronouncing it correctly. Listen in this video how it's said https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyif93zqkxo

Rendel Harris replied to Gkam84 | 3 years ago
1 like

You've had a shocker there fella, if you're going to be a smartarse on t'internet always best to use said internet to check your facts. J is invariably pronounced Y in Dutch and Flemish, and as noted above Jumbo is a supermarket chain in Holland and northern Belgium.

nortonp replied to Mac1937 | 3 years ago
3 likes

If Jumbo were French you would be correct.

But it's not, so you're not.

Simon_MacMichael replied to Mac1937 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Mac1937 wrote:

I suspect that people like Kelly think that Rob Hatch's pronunciation is right as he claims to be some sort of a linguist. A false claim I think.

I was watching the opening stage of last year's Giro d'Italia on TV and my partner, who is from Milan, asked who the commentator was.

I told her it was Rob Hatch, and she said he pronounced Italian words better than any foreigner she had ever come across, she was absolutely amazed.

For UK commentators, he probably has the best pronunciation across a range of languages. 

lesterama replied to Mac1937 | 3 years ago
1 like

Je hebt net het internet gewonnen.

Aragonite replied to Mac1937 | 3 years ago
0 likes

You are inorrect in this instance, but I do have a problem with Rob Hatch's 'correct pronunciatrions'.  What is the point of giving foreign riders their corrct pronunciation if it gives your target UK audience a problem knowing who you are referring to? If the guy spent as much time keeping up to date with recent race resu,ts, as he does on riders 'correct' surnames, and place of birth he might just become a much more informative commentator.

Stebbo replied to Aragonite | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hatch never pronounces German, Polish, Russia or Irish names with his over the top accents. You are correct about his poor race result knowledge.

Dr Winston replied to Aragonite | 3 years ago
0 likes

To be fair he's from Accrington. Even folk like me from Blackburn next door think the Accrington dialect is a bit hard work. 

Anybody who comes from somewhere where they say "Go far what do down t'pit" isn't gonna be great with their Dutch J's...or any other J's.

Mac1937 replied to Mac1937 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks to all commenting on my 'Hatch Dig', I didn't think anyone would take any notice, as my comment was a knee-jerk due to Hatch's constant over-pronunciation of foreign names/words; I cracked and I wrote. I also have to accept that Jumbo Vista is a Dutch company - thanks to the folks who informed me, I thought it was French. I do not withdraw the implication that Hatch enjoys grand-standing. I believe he wrote an article stating that the biggest trap commentators fall into is tripping over their ego - I'm paraphrasing but the words reflect his sentiments. He sounds pretentious, and I end with his pronunciation of AG2R; it's meaningless to a lot of people listening/watching who don't speak French. Thanks for 'listening'. 

jollygoodvelo replied to Mac1937 | 3 years ago
2 likes

You're entitled to your view that it's pretentious.  I would agree he does slightly overdo it sometimes, e.g. Ganna only has two Ns in it although Italian and other similar languages often separate the pronunciation of double consonants ('mil-lion' instead of English 'milion').

However, count me in as another who thinks it's right that commentators, even English ones talking to an English-speaking audience, should pronounce names as they are said in the language they come from unless there's a common 'English' translation (e.g. saying Paris and Milan rather than Par-ee and Mil-ahno).  AG2R is Ah-jee-duhz-air in French.  Consider it a learning experience.

Mark B replied to jollygoodvelo | 3 years ago
0 likes

I agree, but isn't G in French more like zhay, and in particular doesn't have an ee sound (but J does, confusingly).

Mac1937 replied to jollygoodvelo | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm sorry, but you missed the point, too subtle for you perhaps, so I'll spell it out just for you. Actually, it's Ah-Zhee-Deux-Air, and it's Hatch's party piece, which goes over the head of anyone who does not understand French.  If that isn't grand-standing, then I'm a Dutchman (think about it). Hmmm. But as you say, we're all entitled to our view ... and our pronunciation I suppose. I'll still turn the sound down when Hatch is warbling. It's a pity they've put Liggett out to grass, he and Sherwen were the best by a street. They're missed.

Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

Is stage 12 a double scoring affair?....Is it the climb scored separately from bottom to top for KOM  pts?

Condor Andy replied to Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

Correct, it's not a normal summit finish and people will be targetting it and taking it easy for the rest of the TT.

It's only a cat 3 so it won't score highly.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 3 years ago
0 likes

A cat 3 that definitely would need a 1st gear in the old 2CV.  That's a tough climb. 

jollygoodvelo replied to Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

A cat 3 that definitely would need a 1st gear in the old 2CV.  That's a tough climb. 

I love that story, especially as it's so blatantly made up.

Condor Andy replied to Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

Well so much for consistency, they binned what they did in the Tour and just did the finish line. I've done it now so I have to score it, but how hard would it have been to put a check at the base of the climb??

stevemarks | 3 years ago
0 likes

Last minute change, already done my transfers, but thought this is not for Wellens, should be Soler or Gauda, really wanted both but could only do it by taking out Roglic or Carapaz, not on your nelly! Plumped for Soler and won the stage. Nice feeling and helped to offset the misery of another lockdown. Also I'm up to 3rd overall haven't flown this high so late in a GT for a few years. Going to get a nose bleed at these altitudes.

Sniffer replied to stevemarks | 3 years ago
0 likes

Not many had Soler. Well done.

stevemarks replied to Sniffer | 3 years ago
0 likes

went unchanged today, wanted to bring in Vlasov but had to take out Carapaz G Martin or Roglic and in the end didn't think it was worth it. Have Vlasov as favourite to win today and a few will have hime so swings and roundabouts.

11waterloo replied to stevemarks | 3 years ago
0 likes

I bit the bullet & took out polka dot Martin for Vlasov. I will be watching the break form from behind my sofa! 

Sniffer replied to stevemarks | 3 years ago
0 likes

We all had a Vlasov dilemma today.  Either giving up all those GC points or the gamble on Martin and KOM points was the only way to get him in.

In the end I stuck with what I had from Saturday leaving out Vlasov.

Martin was top pick today.

11waterloo replied to Sniffer | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm still behind the sofa after Martin's performance! What a brilliant stage though - absolute beast of a climb.

Pages

Latest Comments