Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Know of someone who's packed in UK road cycling due to safety concerns?

Have a mate who is part of our wider cycling gang; he's taken early retirement and heard he was really frustrated with the Covid restrictions as he has a small holiday flat in Germany and can't pursue his various plans.  My comment was why hadn't he gone out on some long rides etc; then I was told he'd stopped, because he was sick of UK roads (safety), and was just going to cycle when he's out in Germany (which he always raves about).  I was initially bemused but then, having almost being totalled on 2 rides recently (oncoming driver speeding on a lane and another speeding/not paying attention whilst I was trying to turn right off an A road; I've really lost my nerve when trying that manoeuvre), I kind of sympathised.  Realised that pre-WFH etc a lot of my miles were commuting on the Bristol/Bath bike path and quiet urban roads, so I was probably slightly cossetted.  I generally steer clear of A roads but, mid-week especially, the roads are like the wild-west post lockdown.  Apart from group rides I've now got front/back cameras so I could hardly criticise my mate for just being aware of his own mortality.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments