Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Junior gears on new shimano 12-speed groupsets

I was wondering how to get the gears of the new groupsets from shimano (12-speed Ultegra or Dura Ace) to fit inside the junior regulation of gear rollout. For example the hardest gear cannot be more than 52-14.
But I can’t find any 12-speed cassettes that have the smallest cog 14. Any suggestions?

Thank you 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

alan sherman | 2 years ago
0 likes

If racing abroad, and they won't let you block off only via the limit screws, then an alternative is to bench grind the teeth off the higher gear gogs!

Jimmy Ray Will | 2 years ago
1 like

Lol, someone's a lucky boy / girl.... 

Liam Cahill | 2 years ago
0 likes

The only 12-speed junior cassette I know about is a Campagnolo model made by Miche. I'm pretty sure UK comms allow you to simply lockout the mech at the 14T, but right now, if you have to have the full spread available, then smaller chainrings would be the way to go, though fitting a 40T chainring is likely to leave the lad/lass struggling on the hills.

NikolajGregoric replied to Liam Cahill | 2 years ago
0 likes

A friend of mine used a campagnolo 12 speed cassette with the new ultegra and said it works just fine.

Do you think that's ok?

MiserableBastard replied to NikolajGregoric | 2 years ago
0 likes

SRAM makes a 10-36 12sp cassette. I've no idea if the spacing's compatible, but with a single 37-tooth chainring that would yield a legal gear range. I'd be amazed if the 12sp Ultegra and Dura-Ace derailleurs couldn't handle it, given how cautious Shimano always is about the nominal capability of their derailleurs.

MiserableBastard replied to Liam Cahill | 2 years ago
0 likes

Liam Cahill wrote:

fitting a 40T chainring is likely to leave the lad/lass struggling on the hills.

They'd still potentially have a 40/34 (31-inch) low gear, which is lower than the 36/30 (32-inch) I'd expect someone with a double (52/36) chainset to use for racing, but I don't race so may very well be talking out of my arse.

MiserableBastard | 2 years ago
0 likes

Fit a 40-tooth single chainring?

Latest Comments