Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

How does Strava's "Local Legends" work?

Just curious, how on earth does this feature work? Just received an email saying I am the "Local Legend" on Battersea Park's "BMF to park exit" segment with six efforts in the last 90 days. The reason I'm curious is that I go through there twice a day in that direction virtually every working day, so in the last 90 days I'll have probably done the segment 80+ times, and judging by the number of commuter cyclists in the park many of them will have done the same and some of them at least must be on Strava. Just wondering why I'm only recorded us having six goes at it and why six goes in 90 days is enough to be the local legend!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Jem PT | 1 year ago
0 likes

Whenever I get awarded a Local Legend, it's always for having completed the segment 9 times in the last 90 days, never less, never more. It is a weird calculation.

The Accountant | 1 year ago
1 like

You're the local legend with 6 goes, because everyone else in that hellhole had their bike and phone pinched before their sixth attempt at riding through the park.

Now as I've helped you, please can you give me a steer as to which Turbo Trainer to buy? https://road.cc/content/forum/turbo-trainer-options-299653

Daveyraveygravey | 1 year ago
1 like

There's something odd about this, I've lost a couple of Local Legend segments on commutes, and whoever has taken it from me has definitely done it less times than me.

I'm looking at an Italian Alps segment for the summer.  The Local Legend has done it once, but isn't the KOM.  The KOM as posted the same time twice ?! https://www.strava.com/segments/4394844

Brauchsel replied to Daveyraveygravey | 1 year ago
2 likes

Local legend is the person who's done the segment most in the last 90 days. That might (or might not) explain it. 

Kapelmuur | 1 year ago
4 likes

Local Legend is the daftest thing, I hope Strava aren't wasting resources on it.

I ride in rural locations and frequently get notifications that I'm a legend for riding a segment twice.   A great achievement.

Brauchsel replied to Kapelmuur | 1 year ago
5 likes

Ah, I don't mind it. For those of us them who have very little chance of troubling the real leaderboards, it's nice for me them to feel very marginally rewarded for persistence and not ability. 

JustTryingToGet... replied to Brauchsel | 1 year ago
2 likes
Brauchsel wrote:

Ah, I don't mind it. For those of us them who have very little chance of troubling the real leaderboards, it's nice for me them to feel very marginally rewarded for persistence and not ability. 

I would use strava for running rather than cycling. Because of injuries and also because I would run at night, I would do loops round my house, usual route about 2.5 miles so I would do 2-5 times depending on how far I wanted to do. I loved racking up the local legends, I also enjoyed the competition... not unusual to lose and gain the title a few times a month. Silly but fun.

Brauchsel | 1 year ago
4 likes

I *think* that the GPS mapping can be quite odd/precise for some of the segments, and if there's a sticky point somewhere it can throw you off and not count your effort. 

One of my local ones (running) steers you through a small thicket when you view it on a map. In reality, I'm credited with having done it if I cut inside the lamppost 20 metres away, but not if I go outside it. Naturally I now go inside every time. 

peted76 replied to Brauchsel | 1 year ago
4 likes

Brauchsel wrote:

One of my local ones (running) steers you through a small thicket.

You're the jogger who keeps bumping into me!  

Rendel Harris replied to Brauchsel | 1 year ago
3 likes

Ah thanks, that would make a lot of sense, the Battersea segment is on Carriage Drive North which is a very wide closed road on which one often has to move around to avoid other cyclists, skaters, joggers and dogs, so maybe one is only recorded as having completed the segment if one follows exactly the same line as the person who created it.

Secret_squirrel replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
1 like

I think this is the case.  My LL segment is near the end of 90% of my routes (and everyone elses) yet for some reason I've only ridden it 3 times.  Must be a very precise track needed. 

Latest Comments