Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Holiday Cottage Booze and rating stuff on Airbnb

Photo to follow - if the host has left these sprits out, is it ok to have a light pull on them? I opened the whisky and my wife was insisting he'll know I drank some and wanted to buy a whole new bottle.

The place was very nice, but fundamentally wasn't a house as referred to in the description  - it's a duplex flat really and at over £100 per night for self-catering at this time of year, I'm not too impressed.

My wife is a bit smile and wave, leave a nice review, move on, although she agrees we should refer to it as "the flat" in our review.

One place I used to stay at for work the guy got quite upset about my 4* reviews - I think 4/5* represents a decent effort - 5/5* should be reserved for where something has blown your socks off. 

Thoughts? 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

brooksby | 2 years ago
0 likes

Remember when AirBnb was sold as being a way to let out your own home while you were away or even just a room in your home...?

Never having used it, but reading articles it seems now that instead of the average person using it as a bit of an additional income stream, it is now just used by 'professional' landlords to advertise all their buy-to-let holiday properties.

OnYerBike | 2 years ago
2 likes

Is it the host's home that is being let out on occasion (e.g. when the host is away)? Or is it a dedicated holiday let?

If it's the host's home, I would say it's poor form to help yourself to their booze collection.

If it's a dedicated holiday let, I would assume the booze is there for guests to enjoy.

brooksby replied to OnYerBike | 2 years ago
0 likes

If the host has left it out, I'd say it's fair game.

kil0ran | 2 years ago
1 like

Last time I was in Belgium I stayed in this place, it was incredible.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g661677-d3384320-Reviews-Dome...

We were the only guests, the proprietar joined us for breakfast, cooked us omelette at the table, it really was like have some minor member of the landed gentry as your host. Rooms were all unique and luxuriously appointed, amazing bathrooms, one of the best breakfasts I've ever had. The sort of place you feel Steve McQueen would have stayed at on the way to drive at Le Mans, or Edward Fox in Day of the Jackal. The full "mein host" experience, there was no way it was a budget hotel (it was cheaper than any mainstream chain by far).

Captain Badger | 2 years ago
5 likes

Take it in the spirit that it's offered.....

mdavidford | 2 years ago
4 likes

Having gone to the trouble to put it all out for you, I'm pretty sure they'd be offended if you left any.

hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
1 like

The spirits wouldn't be left out unless you were allowed to have some or there was a pricelist.

David9694 | 2 years ago
0 likes

And I like Mien Host less still because his idea of on-site parking is his Range Rover outside someone's house opposite. I'm old-fashioned enough to think that that's rude. 

Anyway, here's his Booze Corner. We found a few tins of tonic in the fridge. 

Simon E replied to David9694 | 2 years ago
5 likes

No bike in that photo. Wrong forum?

Try https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/

David9694 replied to Simon E | 2 years ago
1 like

To be fair, I've put this thread in the Tea Shop section of the Forum, although it's not very apparent when you view the main site. I do recommend Tripadvisor for the sheer sport of reading the 1 and 2 star reviews - anywhere you know will do - it's enough to put you off ever dealing with the general public.

Anyway, it was a full-time Holiday let - I find it hard to imagine ever sharing living accommodation with a host. The standard cottage sites tend to want you do 7 nights on a fixed changeover day - on Airbnb you book more like hotel rooms - the only connection to the b&b aspect is most places leave you a pint of milk, teabags and a loaf. 

Thanks for the advice - cheers, down the hatch and to wives and sweethearts...

Latest Comments