Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Garmin Varia Vision head-up display query...

Does Edge 1030 Plus support the Varia Vision head-up display?
The information on the Garmin product pages is conflicting: Varia Vision - Compatible Devices lists Edge 1030, while Edge 1030 - Compatible Devices does not list Varia Vision!
Does anyone have Varia Vision head-up display and Edge 1030, or Edge 1030 Plus to know for sure what works, please?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
0 likes

To perhaps state the obvious, why not contact Garmin support?

Rik Mayals unde... | 1 year ago
1 like

Yes it does, I have just ordered an RTL-515 for my 1030 Plus. It's listed on the Garmin website.

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/698001/pn/010-02377-00#devices

mark1a replied to Rik Mayals underpants | 1 year ago
1 like

I think the OP is referring to the discontinued Varia Vision head up display. AFAIK the first Edge unit to not support it is the 1040, but can't be certain it's still supported on the x30 units. Nice idea, I used to have one but found it difficult to use on Oakley Jawbreakers, plus my riding chums would rib me for having a Borg implant on my head. 

lonpfrb replied to mark1a | 1 year ago
0 likes
mark1a wrote:

I think the OP is referring to the discontinued Varia Vision head up display.

Yes, Varia Radar is a different (great) product line, which Garmin continue to evolve.

Sadly they lost their nerve with Varia Vision heads-up display so have not evolved that for new display technology like their watches or more powerfully to a lower price that more people could afford.

lonpfrb replied to mark1a | 1 year ago
0 likes
mark1a wrote:

AFAIK the first Edge unit to not support it is the 1040, but can't be certain it's still supported on the x30 units.

The Edge 1040 has had a significant update to the software and the review by DC Rainmaker mentioned that Varia Vision is not supported so that looks like a dead end for Varia Vision owners.

Having the benefit of heads-up display and investment of £350, I'm not pursuaded that some ease of use improvement is more valuable.

Edge 1040 at £520, and more for the Solar variant...

So the Edge 1030 looks like an upgrade to the battery life and the IQ application platform that Edge 1000 has fallen off.

If only it was clear that Varia Vision heads-up display is supported on Edge 1030....

Latest Comments