Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Folding Tyres vs Non-Folding Tyres

Aside from the ability to fold them, what are the pros and cons of folding tyres?

Recently bought a new tyre (Schwalbe Durano Plus), it comes in folding and non-folding versions. Wasn't sure what the difference was, and I don't need to fold it, so I bought the non-folding one as it was cheaper (£30 vs £33). Wondered if I'd missed something - I would have thought it rare to carry a spare tyre with you, so folding tyres seems like a bit of a niche thing.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

wtjs | 3 years ago
0 likes

I can't agree with some of the comments. Tyres from all but the worst (are there any crap manufacturers?- I haven't come across any) brands are very accurately made and are no trouble to get on the rim. I find the wired tyres easier to fit - tube on rim (why are they always too long?!), fit the bottom inside the 'stands up on its own' wired tyre, wiggle the entire wheel inside both beads, bead on one at a time- usually without levers, even on my new excellent Marathon Plus 700C 35mms. Modern tyres are great!

TheBillder | 3 years ago
2 likes

I do get the ease of levering the bead back onto the rim but when new to fitting folding tyres they are horrible floppy things that turn inside out while you watch them and your hands get colder and colder at the roadside.

Like trying to tie the thread on a Christmas tree bauble but without the large glass of something agreeable nearby to take the edge off the fury.

Perhaps it's just me.

Tom_77 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies. I managed to install the tyre, although it certainly wasn't easy. I'll go for a folding one next time if it's going to make fitting it less of a struggle.

Simon E replied to Tom_77 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Tom_77 wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I managed to install the tyre, although it certainly wasn't easy. I'll go for a folding one next time if it's going to make fitting it less of a struggle.

I'm not sure buying a folding version will make any difference.

The difficulty is getting the fixed length of bead over the rim. As this bead is designed to sit inside the rim it is made slightly smaller than the cicrumference of the rim. The material used, whether wire or aramid/kevlar fibres, doesn't make any difference to it's linear flexibility, only its ability to fold (which is not relevant to getting it over the rim).

IME folding tyres can be floppy but once it's been inflated it will keep its shape better when you next remove it.

I was told that the difference in RRP between wired and folding versions of the same tyre is related more to the claimed benefits of a folding tyre (less weight, easier to store and transport) than the material used.

Hirsute replied to Tom_77 | 3 years ago
0 likes

It is more about technique and whether the tyre and rim are suited than folding/ non-folding.

Check youtube for techniques on getting tyres on as it is hard to describe it in a forum in plain text.

Tim Ward | 3 years ago
0 likes

In the case of the Durano Plus, there's no material difference in the contruction and quality of materials used between the folding version and the wired bead version. It's purely a cost and weight differential. Wire bead being considerably cheaper than the aramid cord used for the folding tyres.

Joe Totale | 3 years ago
1 like

Unless you're wanting super cheap tyres, always get folding tyres and not the wire bead ones. 

Wire bead tyres are usually of a lower quality, weigh more and are more difficult to fit. £30 for a wire bead Durano Plus is taking the mickey, spending £3 more is definitely money well spent. 

EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
3 likes

Unless cost is a concern, always go for the folding version - lighter, better road feel, easier to get on and off (you'll want that while fixing a puncture at the side of the road in the cold and rain).

don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have Continental GP400 folding. No tools needed for getting the tyre on and off the rim, which is probably a benefit because of the suppleness of not having a stiff bead.

Nick T | 3 years ago
0 likes

Weight is the main difference if everything else is equal, but manufacturers often also use a lesser construction for the wire bead compared to the folding version - less threads on the casing, less supple rubber etc as a wire bead will never be "premium"

EdelmiraDimucci | 3 years ago
0 likes

Yes, non-folding ones which are also called wire bead tyres are cheaper as compared to the folding ones. Also, the weight of non-folding tyres is higher due to which rider would have to spend more rotation to run a cycle. 

Latest Comments