Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Exercise off the bike

I'm mid-50s and have cycled for as long as I can remember; however recently I've been aware that it's my only form of exercise which could be a bad thing.  There's no shortage of articles that bang on about maintaining strength and flexibility as you get older (ie you'll be sorry if you don't!).  If we weren't in a pandemic then there would have been some dinghy racing and perhaps an odd windurf session over the summer.  I'm pretty active at home; garden, DIY etc.  I did do a weekly circuit training session a few years ago but stopped as I was getting plenty of aerobic exercise from commuting by bike and it often tweaked my back (in hindsight that felt like a bad decision as it did provide some strength training).  Age put paid to sport like rugby and the days of just being able to do a half marathon without any training are long gone.  I did swim competitively years ago but it's a real hassle to get to a decent pool, often annoyingly busy and a bit of a non-starter with CV19 at the moment.  Pre lockdown I did do a weekly yoga class at work but I'm the worlds worst gym person and often start clock-watching half way through; weights etc and I'm bored after 20min.  Noting that post working from home cycles are going to be harder in the winter, I went for a 5km jog (+ some stops for exercises in the park) but it just reminded me how much I hated running and I felt bloody sore the next day.  I don't have space for a home gym but was vaguely looking at some home weights (that could be easily put away after use); even considered a personal trainer as dropping some cash would force me to concentrate for an hour.  If I could muster even half as much enthusiasm for some complementary training as I do for a bike ride, then it would be a major step.  Shorter sessions?  On-line stuff?  Anyway it's not raining; get the bike out!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

It's probably just me, but I think that people who say that they hate running are just doing it wrong. Unless there's a genuine physical reason why.

Just because we're bike fit doesn't mean we're run fit.

You went for a 5k jog, but hate running. These two things are different. I hate jogging, but love running (when I can, I have a bad back). I absolutely love running in the rain.

If you want to run, use the couch to 5k program, it breaks you into running gently and is not, unless you want it to be,  jogging. Put youself up against the clock for 5 and 10km runs.

Running should offer the same mental stimulus and challenges as cycling, and many benefits too.

But there are those who genuinely can't get on with running, which is fine.

Luca Patrono replied to don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

I used to run. It's a high impact activity with a higher exertion threshold than cycling if you want to maintain any decent speed. Because of my feet, I can't run with any frequency any more, and it's one of the reasons I took up cycling to begin with.

Oberon | 3 years ago
1 like

Take a look at Concept II's SkiErg. When wall-mounted, it requires very little space, so might even work if you don't have space for a home gym. I have used their rowing machines for years, but started using the SkiErg more recently. Getting older myself and wanted an exercise that didn't involve sitting (cycling, rowing) in addition to long days at may desk.

andystow | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've got great results from workouts that I can easily do in 20 minutes (although I usually fiddle around a bit and they take about 30.) I started after reading Grant Petersen's Eat Bacon Don't Jog. Grant, if you don't know, is the guy behind some classic Bridgestone bikes, and now Rivendell.

At nearly fifty, I've gained significant strength and put on a noticeable 10-15 lb of upper body muscle. I'm working with heavier weights now, but got great results with bodyweight and 15-40 lb dumbbells. Grant likes kettlebells and medicine balls, but I don't have any.

The basics:

• 8-10 sets a day
  • 5-25 reps a set
  • No sets to failure
  • 4-6 days a week

Gains will be slow, compared to optimized lifting at the gym, but I'm in it for the long haul and because I can do it all at home in minimal time, I've actually stuck with it.

For sets, I mix up:

• Planks (call 60 seconds a whole set by itself, no reps)
  • Push-ups (several kinds)
  • Pull-ups/chin-ups
  • Dips
  • Grip exerciser (Captains of Crush)
  • Dumbbell flies, rows, curls, arm strikes, overhead press, shoulder raises, ...

Then do some light stretching and you're done! Follow up with a protein shake or high protein meal to ensure you get benefit. I also take creatine HCL before my exercise. Because I seldom go to failure, I am not sore the next day.

Latest Comments