Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Deliberate Obstruction by Halfords!

Why do these companies alienate customers by deliberately obstructing complaints? On the Halfords Intercity Folder topic you can see that I was very complimentary about the bike. However, there is a fault on the rear tyre of a bike I collected only 5 days ago (photo to follow)- the sidewall had detached from the wire bead. I assume this would be a simple problem to solve as I have the photos. I then discovered that Halfords doesn't publish an email address for Customer Services- they require you to use 'Live Chat' in which you contact people who don't know anything about cycling and are probably in another country. The simple question I asked was 'Please give me the email address of Customer Services'. 10 minutes followed with no reply, followed by this, from 'Mehnaz':

As we do not have any updated email id right now so what best I can do for you, I will marked an email on your register email address and you can revert back on that email and I will forward it to the team.

You will all appreciate that this is a brush-off designed to achieve nothing. Halfords Customer Services Live Chat is unable to provide an email address for Halfords Customer Services, but Mehnaz is apparently able to forward an email to them from me- except I have no address to send that email to!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

67 comments

wtjs | 1 year ago
3 likes

I doubt if any on here have bought this bike, and it's been unusable up here recently because of the rain and unobtainable mudguards. However, I have obtained some now from Tredz- 20" Bluemels which are really good and stable. Fitting hints available on request. Still no decent wider tyres available, though.

wtjs | 1 year ago
2 likes

Good bike; shame about the tyres and the seller! It was like early autumn in North Lancashire today. This is looking down the Trough of Bowland- at about 3 1/4 hours it was 15-20 minutes slower than a full size bike. I kept checking the tape repair of the rear tyre, and it's holding. That's the new 11-36 silver finish cassette - a worthwhile improvement even though it's only 2 more teeth!

HoarseMann replied to wtjs | 1 year ago
2 likes

Nice. Even a bit of blue sky. Image needs rotating...

HoarseMann | 1 year ago
2 likes

I've found you a tyre - Schwalbe do one tyre in ERTO 451 size, it's 28mm wide and it's only available in a wire bead:
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/road-reader/schwalbe-one-tube-type

Rose Bikes have it in stock for a reasonable 17 EUR - but they've stopped shipping to the UK due to the B word:
https://www.rosebikes.com/schwalbe-one-tube-type-performance-clincher-ro...

A bike shop in the UK is claiming to have 10 left in stock, although the price is a bit more:
https://www.sprocketandgear.co.uk/products/schwalbe-one-perf-wired-tubed...

wtjs replied to HoarseMann | 1 year ago
2 likes

Thanks for your efforts. SJSC do have the Schwalbe 28-451 listed but not in stock. When they're in stock at the same time as the SKS 20" mudguards, I'll get them. For dry roads, the original Vee Tyres 37-451 front tyre still appears normal and the tape reinforcing of the rear is holding with only a small bump discernible while riding. I might then get away with the Vee on the rear with the narrower Schwalbe on the front

hawkinspeter replied to wtjs | 1 year ago
1 like

Had a quick look on eBay for 451 tyres and found this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304683103358

Just under £33 including postage for a pair.

There's a selection of other 451 tyres if you have a search (I searched for "Schwalbe 451"). That wheel size is typically used on wheelchairs, though I'm pretty sure I've got a unicycle with that wheelsize as I struggled to get a 20" tyre on until I found out it was a different 20" and found a tyre that fits.

2 likes

Good plan. You can't go wrong with sjs cycles. One of the best bike shops out there. They seem to have a decent selection, but as you say, worth holding out for the schwalbe if you're mainly on road, as it'll roll better than the other options.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-20-451/

wtjs | 1 year ago
2 likes

It has now reached its sad and disappointing conclusion: Halfords wouldn't respond so I had to go ahead with the money claim, which cost £35 initially. Halfords then offered 10% discount on the bike, claiming they couldn't get hold of any 37-451 tyres, or any other -451 tyres. That would have amounted to £45 only! I refused, pointing out that in addition to the £35 court fee, it would cost about £50 for me to obtain two tyres (remember they advised me to change both when they gave me 2 replacements of the wrong size). I offered to end the complaint for £100. Halfords then offered £90, describing it as a 20% discount. I could see me losing in court if I refused, so I gave in.
There is one small postscript: I had previously offered to take the pair of new incorrectly sized tyres to Halfords Lancaster if they assigned an order number, because I go into Lancaster anyway. They never answered this, and as they went to the trouble of 'beating me down by £10’, I’m just going to be bloody minded and keep them. They're no use to me but at least Halfords won't get them!

3 likes

Bung them on EBay

4 likes

So Halfords are selling a bike with odd sized wheels that they can't source replacement tyres for and the tyres supplied with the bike are far from robust in construction? What's the marketing: "Ride it 'till the tyres wear out"?!

wtjs replied to HoarseMann | 1 year ago
3 likes

"Ride it 'till the tyres wear out"?!

Yes, that seems to be the idea

1 like

I wonder if an option would be to ditch the 451 rims and get the hubs re-laced with 438 rims. Should be ok as the bike has disc brakes. Could have your pick of tyres then.

I wondered so I had a look - don't do this, 438 is even harder to source tyres for!

matthewn5 | 1 year ago
1 like

Quote:

a genuine 20 x 1 3/8 or 37-451

Oh no, I had a Raleigh Twenty with 451 sized wheels about a decade ago. Almost impossible to find tyres. I ended up with a pair of Shwalbe Duranos that fitted, and were good, but they were the only 451 tyres I could find. As for rims, forget it.

Apparently Japanese 'mini velo' bikes use this tyre size, but they're rarely found in the UK. Good luck!!

TheBillder replied to matthewn5 | 1 year ago
2 likes

I had exactly that issue with a 20" wheel child's road bike (12 kg of steel, 5 speed Huret) and paid more for replacement tyres than for the bike itself.

I sometimes see an RSW 16 being ridden in the east of Edinburgh, by a rather heroic guy who struggles against the gear ratios that Sturmey-Archer issued all those years ago. The tyres are white balloons that might well be original. The same size (305) was used for the front wheel of the Chopper so perhaps that's a possibility if 50-odd years is beyond the safe life of the rubber.

wtjs | 1 year ago
2 likes

Worse to even worse.

6 days after the deadline for me to initiate the legal court money claim, I received a phone call from Blackpool. I did not answer this, as there's no record of what was said. I then received an email from 'Resolution Expert' saying he was sure the problem could be solved and asking me to phone the dreaded Halfords number which is routed via South Africa where they have no idea what you're talking about. I gave them the simple means to resolve the dispute 2 weeks ago- send two correct-size tyres (I gave them the ERTO specification, along with that of the incorrect tyres they gave me last time) to my address and I will take the incorrect ones to Halfords Lancaster next time I'm passing. I'm not interested in traipsing to Blackpool for a third time! They chose to ignore that request, so it has had to go to the courts- could take a long time, I know!

1 like

wtjs wrote:

Worse to even worse.

6 days after the deadline for me to initiate the legal court money claim, I received a phone call from Blackpool. I did not answer this, as there's no record of what was said. I then received an email from 'Resolution Expert' saying he was sure the problem could be solved and asking me to phone the dreaded Halfords number which is routed via South Africa where they have no idea what you're talking about. I gave them the simple means to resolve the dispute 2 weeks ago- send two correct-size tyres (I gave them the ERTO specification, along with that of the incorrect tyres they gave me last time) to my address and I will take the incorrect ones to Halfords Lancaster next time I'm passing. I'm not interested in traipsing to Blackpool for a third time! They chose to ignore that request, so it has had to go to the courts- could take a long time, I know!

Are you using the small claims court for this?

wtjs replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
2 likes

Yes, it was called the Small Claims Court the last time I used it 25 years ago. Now it's called a money claim

wtjs | 1 year ago
3 likes

Still no reply from Halfords, so it may well be that I will be forced to reject the bike for the sake of Halfords refusing to provide 2 proper tyres. There was no point in me accepting their previous offer to provide a new bike, because that could well include duff tyres as well. I'm certainly not letting them force me into buying proper tyres myself!

bobrayner | 1 year ago
0 likes

Those 3rd-party live chat services are awful. I don't know who they're supposed to support; they can't help the unhappy customers (who just get extra frustrated after an hour spent with a timewaster who doesn't know the product or the problem); they can't help the actual business staff (who still get contacted by unhappy customers who are now also extra unhappy after finding an escape route from live chat limbo). Maybe some people just want a chat and don't want their problem to be solved?

I spent ages going round in circles with the live chat for a travel agent after my flights were cancelled. It achieved nothing. But I attached some screenshots to a moneyclaim case, and *that* got my money back.

Sometimes the chat service works OK for simple and routine tasks, but those are the ones which customers should be able to self-serve (ie. cancelling an order). As soon as the issue gets more unusual, the chat nitwit just flails around randomly, they can't help, it wastes everyone's time.

wtjs replied to bobrayner | 1 year ago
2 likes

they can't help the actual business staff (who still get contacted by unhappy customers who are now also extra unhappy after finding an escape route from live chat limbo)

You have not reckoned with the additional Halfords dodge: you can't phone into the store direct. Presumably, there is a secret number which can be used, but the idea is to keep complainants out and occupy them on futile Live Chat with people in South Africa who know nothing. It looks like Halfords are trying to tough it out- there has been no reply to my email to Halfords 'Resolution Expert' of 4 days ago. This is an extremely foolish ploy, as I have all the evidence to take to the Small Claims Court- including the 2 useless 'replacement' tyres.

wtjs | 1 year ago
4 likes

Bad to Worse!

Halfords cocked it up again. I appeared at the shop to find the tyres (they said I should replace both) were labelled 20 x 1 3/8 and ERTO 37-438 rather than the 37-451 I was expecting. They said it was the correct size, and the tyres on the bike have no ERTO size printed on them- only 20 x 1 3/8 and 'designed in the USA', and the bike specifications on the website merely state '20" '. As soon as I got home I could see the Schwalbe replacements were wrong- obviously too small. And so they proved! Halfords clearly doesn't know the size of these wheels, but I now know that the correct BSD is definitely 451 and not 438 or 406. The unedifying saga continues!

4 likes

Chrissakes! Now I know how Halfords has got such a bad reputation.

wtjs replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
2 likes

They're pleasant enough, bearing up under the strain of not knowing much about bikes. The bloke 'advised' me to take the two tyres and replace both - he said he had the same bike and had experienced the same problem with the bead detaching. I would have preferred just one tyre- of the correct size. Having removed the faulty rear one again, I see that other sections of both wire beads are close to detaching from the tyre

Sriracha replied to wtjs | 1 year ago
1 like
wtjs wrote:

he had the same bike and had experienced the same problem with the bead detaching.

Sounds like they should at the least be inspecting all these bikes' tyres before delivery, if not issuing a recall. Have you checked the front tyre closely?

wtjs replied to Sriracha | 1 year ago
0 likes

Front looks OK from the outside, so I'm not about to damage a fragile tyre by taking it off. Best tyre is probably best kept on the front

wtjs | 1 year ago
1 like

Well, I took it out this afternoon for a good hilly ride to see if there were any problems in addition to the duff tyre that I should mention when I visit Blackpool Halfords tomorrow. There weren't, but I discovered that the brakes were even better than expected now that the pads are 'bedded in'. The braking is astounding- a real 1 finger job, or you'll lock the rear wheel. I listened out on the quiet back roads of North Lancashire for disc brake noise (a la Chris Froome) but there wasn't any. The tyre 'repair' is holding up well, but I can detect it coming downhill fast on a smooth road.

wtjs | 1 year ago
3 likes

I think I am now at The Beginning of the End. I received several apparently disconnected emails telling me that my new bike was ready, although I had already stated it was the tyre only I was claiming. Eventually, I received one on Monday afternoon stating that my bike was 'ready to collect' (even though it was actually at my house) :

Cycle Repair     Qty: 1

ExOrder0000122 2WS External Part S/O     Qty: 1

Schwalbe 20x1.1/8-1.3/8 PRESTA (SV7A)     Qty: 2

I then received various phone calls which I didn't answer, resulting in voicemails asking me to call Halfords Blackpool. I waited a day and tried to call- you can't phone direct and have to go through what sounds like South Africa. A couple of calls failed where I could hear them but they couldn't hear me. Eventually South Africa allowed me to speak to a Scouser in Blackpool, and we agreed I would collect what I was asking for: a single tyre without inner tube . I think they should have posted it to me but it wasn't worth the effort of trying to insist on that because I have to go into Blackpool on Thursday anyway. Here's hoping it really is a tyre which fits: a genuine 20 x 1 3/8 or 37-451 and not something like a 20 x 1.5 or 35 (or 40) - 406. That would be annoying as I tried to sort it out on the phone, with no comprehension or success

wtjs | 1 year ago
0 likes

Now that Halfords has conceded the point by offering a complete replacement bike, I can't see them publically refusing to provide a tyre. The main fault lies in importing a lot of bikes without a single replacement tyre. I don't need a new tyre for now- my repair using x-ray film and Gorilla tape is working well and is undetectable while riding

4 likes

wtjs wrote:

Now that Halfords has conceded the point by offering a complete replacement bike, I can't see them publically refusing to provide a tyre. The main fault lies in importing a lot of bikes without a single replacement tyre. I don't need a new tyre for now- my repair using x-ray film and Gorilla tape is working well and is undetectable while riding

Whilst I don't doubt the quality of your repair, I'd be cautious about the rest of that tyre not being faulty - keep an eye on it.

Sriracha | 1 year ago
5 likes

It's not just Halfords. Most companies that deal with the public seem to operate like this now. I guess it's their way of managing their in-tray, by ensuring no asynchronous communication. Basically, there is no in-tray, you can't join a "queue" only to wait weeks for a reply, which would be an observable metric indicative of poor service. No in-tray, no queue, no negative metrics - customer satisfaction sorted? Also known as the "la la la I can't hear you" school of customer satisfaction management.

Pages

Latest Comments