Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cassette Chainring wear - and spares availability

One perhaps for Cycling Funnies - "the great thing with cassettes over freewheels is that the whole thing comes apart so you can replace individual cogs when they wear out; works out cheaper." 

A whole bunch of chain skipping in mid gears under load - checked the mech alignment, lockring, recently replaced chain, only one thing left. Another upgrade - from Ultegra to a Miche 13-30t 10s cassette.

Maybe if I surfed hard enough, I'd find more around, but you have to wonder even at £5 a time whether it would be economic. This was the best selection I found:

https://www.highonbikes.com/collections/cassette-spares?srsltid=AfmBOoq2...

pucture coming up

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

David9694 | 5 days ago
0 likes

If I put the micrometer on the tips of the cogs on a new cassette or the unworn smaller cogs, they're about 3.5mm across. I was getting readings of less than 3mm on some of these teeth. 

ktache replied to David9694 | 5 days ago
0 likes

Rohloff do a cassette checking thing. I only found out about it when I got my Rohloff, so don't really need it, same with the Pedro's vice whip and the Abby Crombie.

Someone may have experience of it's real world usage, mark1a might have one?

mark1a replied to ktache | 5 days ago
3 likes

I have the Unior sprocket wear indicator tool, around £20 I think, and it takes a bit of the guesswork out of whether to change a cassette or not. Basically, with the wheel off the bike, you wrap the chain part around a sprocket (like a chain whip), leaving the last link raised. Then apply some turning force to the bar and drop the last link into the gap. If it drops in with no interference, it's good, if the link sticks on a tooth, it's time to change. It's the closest thing available to a "go no-go" type check I've found. Has possibly paid for itself by not changing a serviceable cassette prematurely at some point, or conversely indicating a change is due and saving the chain.

David9694 replied to mark1a | 4 days ago
0 likes

My Christmas 2024 list is now open. 

I guess the party trick there is to simulate some torque - better than a problem you can only detect under load. 

Have you (or anyone) tried changing out individual cogs?  Given that a new 105 cassette, assuming I can find one, isn't going to be less than £45 it sounds like changing 3 or 4 worn cogs might be worth doing. Don't even ask what 10s ULTEGRA costs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355666306926

mark1a replied to David9694 | 3 days ago
0 likes

I've always replaced the whole cassette, and not the individual cogs, I wasn't really aware of the individual ones being available as spares until reading this. TBH I'll probably still change the whole unit, as I record distance/usage on all components for all bikes, and I don't want to start tracking individual cogs, I get fairly long use from cassette & chainrings as I keep the chains in good order and tend to stay on top of the chain wear.

don simon fbpe replied to mark1a | 3 days ago
0 likes

Miche cassettes are made up of individual cogs.

john_smith replied to David9694 | 3 days ago
0 likes

Did it with a Record cassette at one point. I bought a cheaper cassette and took the sprocket or sprocket pair or whatever it was from that.

Latest Comments