Canyon CF Paint Finish

A friend has just purchased a new Canyon 7.0 CF bike directly from Canyon. He received it at the weekend and was assembling it ready for the maiden voyage when he started to notice a few paint defects.

A number of the defect appear to be thin paint and you can see the Carbon fibre weave, but the defect on the down tube are extremely prominent and look to be abrasions or actual defects.

He has contacted Canyon and they have said:

" Extraordinary surface design on black carbon frames

Canyon uses an innovative manufacturing method and coating process which guarantees a direct view of the carbon fibres on every bicycle frame. This is how we make the carbon fibre lay-up visible and every chassis therefore gets its own unique finish. Depending on the angle of the light shining on the frame, the appearance of this finish can change. This does not represent a flaw in the frame or its outer coating"

The above does explain the visible weave near the BB but in my opinion doesn't even come close to the marks on the down tube.

Are there any Canyon owners out there who have experienced similar?
I noticed Road.cc recently reviewed a CF Canyon. Did that bike have similar marks.
What are peoples general opinions? I know if it was me I wouldn't be satisfied with Canyon fobbing me off, the paint marks are so prominent that they actually looks like a second. If I had spent that much money on the bike I would want it perfect!!

Hopefully the pictures have attached correctly.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments

• HarrogateSpa 4 min 9 sec ago

For context, the members of Harrogate District Cycle Action are polite, patient and determined to work in a positive way with local authorities. It...

• brooksby 13 min 47 sec ago

Bl00dy h3ll!  Really? That's about the size of my mortgage...  

• brooksby 22 min 8 sec ago

In their defence, they did do quite a lot of repairs through lockdown while the roads were quiet.  The problem they have is that so many of the...

• rob39 24 min 22 sec ago

Looking at it closely it does look like a scratch 🤞

• wtjs 30 min 54 sec ago

As I said previously, some serious re-education of the F***h would be necessary, probably a brainwashing of the entire force. This is from Sgt L of...

• armb 33 min 15 sec ago

Same thing you would if two white males were reported as suspects and you saw two white males with absolutely nothing beyond that to link them to...

• eburtthebike 44 min 3 sec ago

Why did the gorilla mum go to the bank with a penny when her baby was born with no knees? To change it for two ha'pennies. I'll get my coat.  

• Joe Totale 55 min 25 sec ago

I'd have a look at Rose. Another German brand without the shops but I've heard only good things from others about them unlike Canyon and they allow...

• Joe Totale 1 hour 2 min ago

The 35's should be fine for anything this country can throw at you and should be significantly faster than the 47's. ...

• timbodevans 1 hour 31 min ago

It's the totally unneccessary attitude that riles me. I believe there is a dual prejudice by the police against non-white people and cyclists in...