Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Stage 6 - Epernay to Metz

Another sprint stage and another chance for Goss to show us he's the third fastest man in the world or is it another chance for Tyler Farrar to take out half the field?

Cast iron sprint finish again, four in the escape:

- Davide Malacarne (ITA) EUC
- Romain Zingle (BEL) COF
- Dave Zabriskie (USA) GRS
- Karsten Kroon (NED) STB

One sprint and one cat 4 before the finish.

I think pretty much everyone will have a broadly unchanged team today with an eye on the shake up that will be Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Mine is:

Cavendish
Goss
Sagan
Van Hummel

Arashiro
Ladagnous
Levarlet
Boeckmans
Izagirre

Plan is to ditch Cav, Goss, Ladagnous and Boeckmans tonight but not 100% on who I'll bring in, still deliberating between starting to bring in TTing climbers or to go full out on breakaway riders and try hoover up a load of points on Sunday.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

61 comments

Wig_Billy | 11 years ago
0 likes

My team for tomorrow has taken a beating here. I don't think any of my star riders are in the leading group.  20

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Schleck 2'00" behind first peloton
The group that includes Cavendish, Brajkovic, Valverde, Rolland and Schleck is 2'00" behind the Orica-GreenEdge led bunch that is now just 11" behind the four stage leaders.

Sounds like Goss and GreenEdge are caning it to try and keep Cav out of the sprint. Two minutes is surely far too much to make up in 15km and if Wiggins and Sky decide to the up the pace Schleck, Rolland, Valverde and anyone else in that group could lose even more.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Le Tour reporting that Cav and EBH in the second group although no time check, Schleck and Gesink at around 2:30, Danielson and Vigano have now also abandoned.

chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes

Chavanel is right near the front, is he gonna have another go?

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Not sure where they are though as i dont think he is in the second group  39

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

anyone seen Cav in the lead group?

Poels abandons, Cavendish and EBH in the second group  20

That's Karma, I was feeling far too smug about Griepel not sprinting today  14

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Chaos, gutted for Hesjedal, Schleck and anyone else who's lost time through crashes. It's not nice but it can happen to anyone and it's nice to see Sky have learned from last year and had Wiggins right at the head of the peloton.

0 likes

anyone seen Cav in the lead group?

0 likes

Ah TER, I though Moncoutie might be your Frenchman  3

TERatcliffe26 replied to chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes
chrisdstripes wrote:

Ah TER, I though Moncoutie might be your Frenchman  3

He is....

I just found a way of getting in casar for sunday as well.

0 likes

Bloody hell. Safe sprint - there's only about fifty guys left!

Hesjedal also losing time, could be interesting to see the GC after today...

0 likes

Think Casar and Hesjedal in there too....may change my plans (casar wise)

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yet more crashes, Shrek is down, so is Petacchi.

Is this the end of Shrek's attempt on yellow?

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Friere and Farrar have been dropped. Without those two odds are we should have a safe sprint today.

0 likes

Shame about Greipel. Today was always going to be average for me as all my DS riders are the ones I wanted for the hills, but still need some points from somewhere! A Goss win is my best hope...

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Huzzah

Quote:

Frison: Greipel won't sprint today
France Télévision has just interviewed the directeur sportif of the Lotto-Belisol team, Herman Frison who explained the injuries sustained by André Greipel today. "He has pain in his shoulder," said the Belgian about the rider who has won the last two stages. "And he won't take part in the sprint today."

This is likely to mean that Greg Henderson will be given the chance to sprint for himself instead of doing the lead-out as he's done in the last couple of days. The 35-year-old New Zealander is riding the Tour for the first time this year. He's previously won a stage of the Vuelta a España and he switched teams - from Sky - largely because he wanted to race the Tour before the end of his career.

Obviously it's unfortunate, but from a fantasy news it's bloody great.

0 likes

Greipel wont sprint today....

0 likes

Could be - according to commentary, Lotto are saying that Greipel won't be contesting the sprint due to his injuries  2

0 likes

that 49 includes the 5 for the cat 4 too, forgot to say that...

A Cav, Sagan, Goss, Veelers top 4 and the stage could be mine?....

0 likes

"Today's stage features a tight right-hander just before the 2km to go sign that the peloton is going to have to slow down significantly for. Then comes a gentle left turn and a gentle right hander... with about 1,400m to go there is a 90 degree left turn that leads riders to a 300m downhill stretch (with a gradient of about three per cent) and under a railway bridge.

The speed is going to be up around 70km/h and then, there's another 90 degree turn (to the left) with about 850m to go. And, from there it's flat and straight all the way to the line."

0 likes

You made up 27 on me then TER...

0 likes

49 points at the intermediate sprint  1

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Griepel and Gesink on the floor again.

Garmin are quoted as saying that Farrar won't contest the sprint because he's too afraid of crashing. I predict there will be no crash today purely because Farrar isn't there, he seems to cause most of them.

0 likes

Van Hummel said yesterday he was feeling good, so I'm hoping he's saving himself for the finish...

silas chime | 11 years ago
0 likes

31 at the intermediate for me from Cav,Tourminater,Impey and Boeckmans  16

Just considering my transfers for tomorrow.....actually I've already made 3 and am waiting for the finale to decide whether to take Sagan or Greipel out for my last star transfer.

transfers:
1)Cav for the 'Yankee Dutchman' DONE
2)Cooke for the 'Mayor's Son' DONE
3)Impey for the 'nearly man of Paris-Nice' DONE
4)Greipel(or Sagan) for a 'well named man' although I'm considering Veelers out for 'Aussie Buck'

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sprint points:

1. Kroon (STB) 15pts
2. Zabriskie (GRS) 14pts
3. Zingle (COF) 13pts
4. Malacarne (EUC) 12pts
5. Goss (OGE) 11pts
6. Cavendish (SKY) 10pts
7. Sagan (LIQ) 9pts
8. Boeckmans (VCD) 8pts
9. Boasson Hagen (SKY) 7pts
10. Hutarovich (FDJ) 6pts
11. O'Grady (OGE) 5pts
12. Impey (OGE) 4pts
13. Popovych (RNT) 3pts
14. Albasini (OGE) 2pts
15. Bak (LTB) 1pt

No Van Hummel  2

You have to wonder what Greipel is playing at if he wants the Green jersey, Goss can happily finish second or third and still out score him every stage while he's pikcing up 10 intermediate sprint points.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Report on the crash:

Quote:

Dr. Florence Pommerie: Greipel has significant injuries

The medical team of the Tour has recently offered an appraisal on the state of the riders who fell at the 35km mark. “About 20 riders came past our car after the fall, including many team leaders,” said Florence Pommerie. “The crash victims included Sandy Casar (FDJ), Jean-Christophe Peraud (ALM) and Andre Greipel (LTB). Most have abrasions and contusions. “These are minor injuries, but they hurts all the same. André Greipel seems to have some significant injuries including and a wounded finger. He must have landed very heavily.”

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Crash in the bunch, Griepel, Gutierrez and Westra are down, no report on any injuries although Gutierrez seems have come off worst.

silas chime | 11 years ago
0 likes

Captain America Running away from something perhaps?

Same team as yesterday starts in 2nd place on the tour overall (1st premium)

Cavendish
Greipel
Sagan
Veelers
Cantwell
Boeckmans
Impey
Morkov
Cooke

0 likes

Monday is why Dave is still in my team...

same as yesterday

Cav
Sagan
Goss
Veelers

Lancaster
Edet
Arashiro
Izagirre
Zabriske

Pages

Latest Comments