Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycling holiday in Tenereife

I went to Tenerife last year in December for a cycling holiday, loved it, and im the middle of this summer I booked my flights again for this December.

last year I stayed in Peurto de la cruz on the north side, it's very hilly, there was almost no flat stuff. I think the flattest route we did was up along the coast to punta el teno, but a lot of that was dual carrigeway...

anyway, I've had an injury since about July that I just can't seem to get rid of, it's seeming to get better very solowly but I am not doing much elevation in my rides now and basically just pottering about on the flat, i'm failrly certain if I start doing 1-2000m of climbing 4 hour rides it will not stand up to it and i'll be in pain.

does anybody have any knowledge of the island, is there any flatter parts of the island to go and stay at? and even better, any reccomendations of where to stay and where to hire a bike from?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

fenwick458 | 4 years ago
0 likes

damn. thought that might be the case. better get cracking with the rehab and hope for the best!

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dont crash on volcanic soil. One of our team had £40k reconstructive surgery on his face after crashing badly

rogermerriman | 4 years ago
0 likes

Tenerife is a volcanic and thus it doesn’t do flat bar in the crater! Though is some flattish bits nr The Airport and some nice smaller less nightclub places, even so not really flat though!

You can hire E-MTB plenty of gravelly tracks and what not, I took my Gravel bike last time and explored said stuff, though do have to take care, as easy to slice tires there.

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

I go to Tenerife twice a year for the last 4 years cycling. There is very little flat on the island. I normally stay at Los Cristianos in the south. Staying around the coast for riding will limit ft climbed, but a 30 mile ride could see 1500ft of climbing. You could limit how far you ride up Tiede, but that might not suit

Because I weigh nearly 100kg I use a triple and 11-40 cassette. so I can spin all the way up Teide

Latest Comments