Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Powertap G3 wheel build query

Hello,

A question for wheel builders...

Would it be possible for me to use the rim from my existing Campagnolo Zonda G3 rear wheel ( 14 spokes drive side, 7 spokes non drive side ) and build said rim onto a 20 or 24 hole Powertap G3 rear hub ?

Thanks for your comments.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

cougie | 4 years ago
0 likes

I think your wheelbuilder would make that call anyway. 

You've an expensive bit of kit there - why save a few quid on a rim that clearly isn't suited ? 

srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes

No.

bramleyapples | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hello

Thanks folks for your comments. Just to be clear, I would not tackle the wheel build myself, I would be leaving that to a wheel builder and relying on their expertise.

So the consensus then is a no go... shame as the rear Zonda does not have a lot a of use. Looks like an off the shelf or customized wheel incorporating the Powertap G3 hub with appropriate rim & spokes is the solution.

Thanks...

vonhelmet | 4 years ago
0 likes

I know next to nothing about wheel building, but I'm going to say no.  You can't put a 21 hole rim on a 20/24 hole hub.  The spoke lengths would be mental as said.  I doubt you'd save any money doing it this way.

Miller | 4 years ago
1 like

At some level it must be possible but as a wheelbuild, you'd be signing up to a world of pain. The Zonda rim has G3 spoke grouping. How are you going to match the 14 driveside spokes expected by the rim to the 10 or 12 offered by the hub? And non-drive side, 7 rim holes but 10 or 12 hub holes? How on earth are you going to work out spoke lengths? 

20-hole rims are in short supply and that's a bit weedy for a rear wheel anyway. Get a 24h hub and select a nice 24h rim to go with it. Forget the Zonda. Lovely wheels but the build is highly proprietary.

Latest Comments