Home

First time hopping on trainer soon, having that I live in area with drastic climate changes and me wanting to continue with my cycling/triathlon goals I decided to hop on trainer for the first time.

Question is - for easier and painless change between trainer/outdoor instead of changing the tire i wanna buy a spare cheap 2nd hand wheel on which I can put my trainer tire and keep my original wheel with the original tire on side so I can swap easily.

Question is next:

I ride a Bianchi Aria 105 Disc, 11-speed cassette at back with disk breaks and 28" wide tires, having know that:

Will I be able to fit any kind of rear wheel as long as its thru axle and inserting spacers in the disk breaks so i don't damage the clips ? Also, do I have to use the 105 11-speed cassette on the wheel or I can use any 11 speed cassette on the wheel used for trainer? There is an option to buy the dedicated adapter for tacx thru axle which costs around 30EUR which is the price for old used rear road wheel here..

13 comments

Avatar
CXR94Di2 [2761 posts] 4 weeks ago
0 likes

If your current hub is thru axle then yes you just need a similar hub wheel. Fit a small size tyre and run high pressure 100psi to reduce wear, any road tyre will do. Buy a cheaply for tyres. The cassette, I would stay with 105 or Ultegra CS6800. Ive found the cheaper cassettes can be noisy- expensive cost and you will only find out once using cassette.

You don't need to even fit a disc rotor, not necessary for spare wheel on turbo.

Avatar
Stratman [174 posts] 4 weeks ago
0 likes

I'd be tempted to fit a disc rotor though, just in case you accidentally squeeze the brake while you're on the trainer, and push the pistons out (or remember to put a spacer in)

Avatar
viktorapo [7 posts] 4 weeks ago
0 likes
Stratman wrote:

I'd be tempted to fit a disc rotor though, just in case you accidentally squeeze the brake while you're on the trainer, and push the pistons out (or remember to put a spacer in)

yeah i would be using spacers for sure

Avatar
CyclingInBeastMode [134 posts] 4 weeks ago
1 like

Buy a second bike for indoor training, doesn't have to be anything special and probably less than the cost of a replacement wheel and tyre. does even have to be disc braked so increases your options even more

Avatar
viktorapo [7 posts] 4 weeks ago
0 likes
CyclingInBeastMode wrote:

Buy a second bike for indoor training, doesn't have to be anything special and probably less than the cost of a replacement wheel and tyre. does even have to be disc braked so increases your options even more

 

good idea but the fact that finding a decent similar and symetrical size to my bike bothers me? i dont want to end up riding a bike that has totally different geometry and feeling.. i might be speaking nonsense, new into road cycling 

Avatar
nug8321 [23 posts] 4 weeks ago
0 likes

Do you have a turbo trainer already? If not, I'd really recommend trying to pick up a used trainer with a direct mount so that completely negates the need for a spare rear wheel. 

 

Good luck!

Avatar
vonhelmet [1485 posts] 4 weeks ago
0 likes

28" tyres?  Your frame must have mad clearances.

Avatar
CyclingInBeastMode [134 posts] 3 weeks ago
1 like
viktorapo wrote:
CyclingInBeastMode wrote:

Buy a second bike for indoor training, doesn't have to be anything special and probably less than the cost of a replacement wheel and tyre. does even have to be disc braked so increases your options even more

 

good idea but the fact that finding a decent similar and symetrical size to my bike bothers me? i dont want to end up riding a bike that has totally different geometry and feeling.. i might be speaking nonsense, new into road cycling 

That should be the least of your worries, you can adjust most bikes pretty easily to suit, there are tens of thousands of bikes out there for every size and shape, nose of saddle to bar(maybe a shorter/longer stem or moving the saddle back/forward, top of saddle height to cranks, saddle tilt (if any) bar width, that's pretty much it isn't it?

Doesn't even need to be a racing frame, nor even have the same number of gears, you're training for fitness not how to use gears, brakes, cornering, right so it could be almost anything that's in the ball park fame size wise and just make the usual minor adjustments.

I don't know how much you'd be paying for a wheel but taking bike on/off continually would do my head in after a while, I'm sure it works for some people but I reckon most people simply go with a turbo bike and be done.

 

Avatar
viktorapo [7 posts] 3 weeks ago
0 likes
nug8321 wrote:

Do you have a turbo trainer already? If not, I'd really recommend trying to pick up a used trainer with a direct mount so that completely negates the need for a spare rear wheel. 

 

Good luck!

 

yes, I ordered the tacx satori and should be here soon. i live in region where turbo trainers are not that easily found 2nd hand and ordering from abroad to my country is even more pain  1

Avatar
viktorapo [7 posts] 3 weeks ago
0 likes
CyclingInBeastMode wrote:
viktorapo wrote:
CyclingInBeastMode wrote:

Buy a second bike for indoor training, doesn't have to be anything special and probably less than the cost of a replacement wheel and tyre. does even have to be disc braked so increases your options even more

 

good idea but the fact that finding a decent similar and symetrical size to my bike bothers me? i dont want to end up riding a bike that has totally different geometry and feeling.. i might be speaking nonsense, new into road cycling 

That should be the least of your worries, you can adjust most bikes pretty easily to suit, there are tens of thousands of bikes out there for every size and shape, nose of saddle to bar(maybe a shorter/longer stem or moving the saddle back/forward, top of saddle height to cranks, saddle tilt (if any) bar width, that's pretty much it isn't it?

Doesn't even need to be a racing frame, nor even have the same number of gears, you're training for fitness not how to use gears, brakes, cornering, right so it could be almost anything that's in the ball park fame size wise and just make the usual minor adjustments.

I don't know how much you'd be paying for a wheel but taking bike on/off continually would do my head in after a while, I'm sure it works for some people but I reckon most people simply go with a turbo bike and be done.

 

 

that means that i can use my other commuter bike - specialized sirrus to put it on the trainer and just spin ? are there no side effects due to the different shapes and geometries like for example building up different muscles or the same muscles on different parts from which i would not benefit when i get on my race bike ? really amateur here and want to know it all  1 thanks for answering my questions tho

Avatar
mikemelbrooks [5 posts] 3 weeks ago
0 likes

I have used a smart trainer for several hundred virtual miles and have  never used a trainer tyre  my current trainer bike is using GP4000s  on carbon rims with latex tubes!

Avatar
EddyBerckx [722 posts] 3 weeks ago
0 likes
mikemelbrooks wrote:

I have used a smart trainer for several hundred virtual miles and have  never used a trainer tyre  my current trainer bike is using GP4000s  on carbon rims with latex tubes!

 

While I agree you can use any normal tyre (within reason) for trainer use...you should use a different tyre to the one you use on the road. Basically the tread squares off easily and I know more than one person who's had an off (in the wet from memory) after making that mistake

Avatar
Boatsie [537 posts] 3 weeks ago
0 likes

I spent hours chatting away endlessly with a mate about bikes the other night. I hadn't even thought of rollers prior yet now they're very appealing. I have a fixie, having listened to a mate; rollers are very appealing.
Not interested in bolting the bike to a trainer, more so interesting to me is basic rollers enabling practice towards balance and strength. Measurements not required, just effort instead.
(Another mates brother-in-law was an Olympian and that was said to be lots of effort. Everyday prior work he'd ride my equivalent of an entire day fresh, up and down the hills.

Wishing you best luck Viktorapo, I can't assist yet while topic here.. Much of muchness if I was to look at rollers. Currently looking at Cyclops, Minoura, Lifeline. Flattening tyre tread wear aye.. Doh. Always a catch..
Any roller recommendations ? Road bike use. Probably prefer to keep it going and use the fixed track bike, I love the resting feel after rides on that.. I found that used at 2/3 the price of the near new wheels on such..
I'm no expert yet like mentioned, if buying another set of wheels, a used single speed or fixed gear might be useful instead.
IMO that'll discipline cadence and gear wear is reduced.