Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Brake pad advice

No discs, no arguments  1

The good lady has a Planet X tiagra and I think the brakes are tetro, the stopping power ain't great which can dampen the confidence.

Aftsr some advice on brake pads that won't break the bank and slow her down until the life insurance is upped...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes

Clarks CPS 240. I commute on them in all weathers. Really good braking on not so great Tektro long-drops. Cheap as chips and last around 3,000km.

Xenophon2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Another for the koolstop salmon pads, especially in the wet.  But they wore down quickly, certainly if you ride in gritty conditions.

ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

I really liked the Swisstop greens, until I couldn't get them anymore, then tried KoolStop Salmons, wished I had tried them decades ago.  Works especially well in the wet and good in the dry.  Doesn't wear the rims too much, sort of.  Cantilevers for me, but pads is pads.  

kevvjj | 4 years ago
0 likes
Simon E | 4 years ago
0 likes

Presuming they are caliper brakes then...

If the Tektro pads are one-piece items then replace with cartridge pads and holders. Kool Stop salmon or dual compound salmon&black pads are very popular and with good reason. The dual compound ones are currently £20 at Tredz per pair including cartridge holders. road.cc review.

Plain salmon colour are intended for wet but I have used both type all year round.

Otherwise you could do worse than Shimano R55C3 cartridge pads and holders (Tredz). These will accept Kool Stop cartridge pads if you decide to try those at a later date.

Latest Comments