Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Repairing cracked seat post collar

My carbon frame has a crack around where the thin piece of carbon under seatpost clamp meets the seat tube. It's not a crack that could lead to the frame cracking critically but it does allow the seatpost to hinge back and forth so does need sorting.

I've got a 27.2mm seatpost and a shim so I was wondering if a good way to fix this could be to epoxy the shim into the seatpost?

Or should I get some carbon tape and repair the crack like that?

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/FwFgif4bAosT61cb6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ubFtXc9TKJGP3C9V9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MA86WJN2APjLbBhY9

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Sniffer | 4 years ago
1 like

Had a chainstay repaired professionally a few montbs ago. Wasn't expensive and you can't tell now.

Originally told the wife it had ended the bike's life and bought another. The repaired one is now permanently in the pain cave.

matthewn5 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Get a professional repair and relax. Carbon can be repaired, but I wouldn't recommend trying it yourself.

steve hill | 4 years ago
1 like

BIN IT

Tristan.xg replied to steve hill | 4 years ago
0 likes

steve hill wrote:

BIN IT

How wasteful

BBB | 4 years ago
0 likes

Personally I'd bond a seatpost shim in place and use smaller dia seatpost. 

Tristan.xg replied to BBB | 4 years ago
0 likes

BBB wrote:

If possible this is my preferable route to take given I've got the shim, seatpost and glue for it. So I'd simply epoxy the shim in and it should be fine?

srchar replied to Tristan.xg | 4 years ago
1 like

Tristan.xg wrote:

BBB wrote:

If possible this is my preferable route to take given I've got the shim, seatpost and glue for it. So I'd simply epoxy the shim in and it should be fine?

Yes, do this.

Drinfinity | 4 years ago
1 like

Seems like a very thin collar, looks like it is asking to crack all the way round. Might as well cut the whole thing off and smooth down the edges so you don’t get any stress risers. Then glue a seat post in permanently. 

Probably best to get a pro frame fixer look at it rather than take my random opinion though. 

kevin_smith1970 | 4 years ago
2 likes

My Orbea Orca cracked in pretty much the same place. Sent it back under lifetime warranty. The replacement they sent also had a crack in the seat post clamp area due to someone at the factory overtightening the clamp so waiting for another replacement.

I'd get it fixed properly if it's not underwarranty.

Tristan.xg | 4 years ago
0 likes

Last picture

Tristan.xg | 4 years ago
0 likes

Next picture

ped | 4 years ago
0 likes

<blockquote>It's not a crack that could lead to the frame cracking critically ...</blockquote>

You hope! 

On your own head, or rather near your own balls be it, but I think I'd leave any repair to the professionals. 

Tristan.xg replied to ped | 4 years ago
0 likes

ped wrote:

<blockquote>It's not a crack that could lead to the frame cracking critically ...</blockquote>

You hope! 

On your own head, or rather near your own balls be it, but I think I'd leave any repair to the professionals. 

The crack doesn't go into the actual seatpost material at all, it's just around the thin collar bit. If it was to spread the worst that could happen is the seatpost would be able to rotate  - hardly a critical failure. The seatpost clamp would even stop it dropping into the frame.

That said if I was to go the carbon repair route I would look into getting it done professionally.

Latest Comments