Building a gravel/do it all bike

Hi all,

I'm looking to build a gravel/do it all bike bike for linking up road and bridal ways.

Material and geometry: I'm thinking old school steel, mostly because I've always wanted a steel frame. It will need to be something like Reynolds 531 butted or similar to keep the weight down. I want it to be relatively slack to handle the rough stuff but I don't understand the dinner point of a geometry diagram
I know what feels right to me but will probably buy online. I will be using some tiagra 4700 that I have in my bits box so may have to cold set the seat stays but I'm prepared to do that. Wheels and tyres I'm thinking wide like hunt 4 season or similar and some fat rubber.

Braking: bosses would be preferable so that cantilever or long reach options can be used.

Price: I don't have the deepest pockets (twins have reduced my bike funds) however I do have a bit of dad points from upgrading the wife's bike to 6800.

Parts: groupset is mostly 4700 but might swap the cranks for 1x or put a smaller inner ring.

Please give me some advice on frames and bargains you might of seen. Also the pros and cons of cantilevers and long drop brakes.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments