Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Squeaking in certain gear combos

Any tips for tracking down squeaks? Very high pitched chirruping coming from somewhere when using big chainring combined with bigger half of cassette (bigger sprockets). Completely silent for big chainring with smaller sprockets and also small chainring all the way across the cassette.

Thank you

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

rdmp2 | 4 years ago
3 likes

If anyone interested- upper jockey wheel was culprit. Corroded around bushing & cover. Replaced and now beautifully silent

hawkinspeter replied to rdmp2 | 4 years ago
1 like

rdmp2 wrote:

If anyone interested- upper jockey wheel was culprit. Corroded around bushing & cover. Replaced and now beautifully silent

Called it!

AfterPeak | 4 years ago
0 likes

Jockey wheels is my guess. I get this when they have got wet and washed oil out and then dry and they sqeill. The reason for I am guessing it happens with the gear combination is the faster chain travel (just a guess). Anyway I remove both jockey wheels clean them, relube and reinstall them and it sorts it. 

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

Weird B-screw adjustment?

rdmp2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks again.  New jockey wheels ordered and will update after trying that (with wd40 application if no improvement). Hirsute- Will try to check position of rear cage but not 100% sure what I’m looking for! 

Khaostik- 407mm chainstay, kmc chain. When it wears out I’ll try a different brand

khaostik | 4 years ago
0 likes

If by chance you have chainstays with 405mm lenght not every chain brand will work OK.

I have a giant tcr advanced sl and a grinding noise appeared as described when I replaced the original kmc chain by a shimano chain. I've then putted a kmc chain again and the noise went away.

Cheers,

Filipe Dias

generationally | 4 years ago
1 like

Sounds pretty similar to what I have experienced - I can especially relate to this "chirruping" sound.

I took my jockey wheels off and they had pretty much gunk stuck to the sides of the wheels. Since the top jockey wheel needs to be able to move sideways (on shimano at least) then I believe the stuck gunk prevented that movement from happening freely. Whether this caused the sounds or they were just worn out, I don't know. 

Instead of cleaning the wheels, I just replaced them as they had already seen some 12000km. The chirruping sound has been gone since.

Your issue might be different but I thought that I would share my experience anyway.

madcarew | 4 years ago
0 likes

If it's a high pitched squealing/ chirruping I'd be going for jockey wheels. Chain under extra tension/ particular angle causing rubbing on some part (perhaps the squared washers they fit in?). To eliminate it I'd try a spray of wd40 around the jockeys and their bushes.

Hirsute | 4 years ago
1 like

If it is fine on the smaller chain wheel across all sprockets, then not sure the angle is the issue.
Big to big might be worth checking the position of the rear cage.

rdmp2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all. Hard to track down as completely silent in workstand.

Hawkinspeter- Chain definitely right length. Jockey wheels done 4000 miles and still look fine.

Ktache- Will re-grease seatpost but is that likely given that it depends on what gear is selected?

Hirsute- what do you mean? Incorrectly adjusted? Rubbing?

Lonelyone- definitely seems to be related to angle of chain. I tend to be quite sparing with lube so will see if liberal application does anything.

TheFatAndTheFurious | 4 years ago
1 like

You're describing a cross-chaining scenario. I had a similar effect after I'd cleaned a cassette - totally stripped it of all oil and residue - and it was the inner plates of the chain rubbing against the cassette teeth as the angle of the chain increased. A temporary squirt of WD40 on the cassette silenced it, and then giving the chain a (probably excessive) coat of lube fixed it for good.

Hirsute | 4 years ago
0 likes

Take off and nuke it from orbit - it's the only way to be sure.

Rear derailleur sounds a good bet.

ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

Remove seatpost, clean it, the tube and the fastener, lube everything and put it back together.

This has stopped what I had always assumed was a creak in the bb or chainset.

And it's never a bad idea, chatting to a bloke unlocking an Orange mtb ouside the supermarket the other day, lovely bike, there was such disappointment in his voice about the seatpost cold welding itself into the frame.  LBS could do nothing.  It reminded me, and I will be doing this to my everyday bike this long weekend.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

That the noise only happens with big/big cogs, then I'd be thinking about chain tension and rear derailleur (as the front derailleur has already been checked). Is the chain long enough and are the jockey wheels in need of replacement?

rdmp2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks both- good suggestions. Definitely not fd rubbing on chain. Chainring bolts are as tight as I can get them (recommended torque?) but can’t rule that out. Fact it’s only in certain gear combos (and fine in small chainring) makes less likely? Worth cleaning and retorquing bolts?

Podc | 4 years ago
0 likes

Check chainring bolts are nice and tight.

Spangly Shiny | 4 years ago
0 likes

First check for chain rub on the front derailleur. If it isn't that invest in one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Auto-Mechanics-Stethoscope-Car-Engine-Block-Dia...

Latest Comments