Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Any threat to health? Garmin Radar Varia

Hi guys,

considering buying Garmin Radar Varia RTL 510 bundle.

There are many reviews and opinions  around since first generation of the radar system from Garmin.  Without doubt, this is a great addition to safety.

However one aspect that is not covered or discussed is a potential influence on health after long term exposure of cyclist "sitting" on the radar beam.

Spec: Radio frequency/protocol: 24 GHz @ 12 dBm nominal/2.4 GHz @ 4 dBm nominal

I believe no one took this particular radar for any scientific test therefore concerns are more of general nature of being exposed to extra  radiation from radar 3-4 hrs a day.

Any thoughts?

Update 22.04.2019

Finally received Garmin Varia RTL510. 

On rear side of the box there is Warning from California Prop 65 saying "Cancer and Reproductive Harm". Right way to legally protect itself from Garmin. 

In supplied doccumentation there is a following text relevant to this post.

Radio Frequency Radiation Exposure

This device is a portable transmitter and receiver that uses an internal antenna to send and receive low level of radio frequency (RF) energy for data communications. The device emits RF energy below the published limits when operating in its maximum output power mode and when used with Garmin authorized accessories. To comply with RF exposure compliance requirements, the device should be installed and operated with a mimum 5 cm (2 in.) distance between the device and your body. The device should not be used in other configurations. This device must not be co-located or operated in conjunction with any other transmitter or antenna.  

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

40 comments

Drinfinity | 5 years ago
5 likes

You want my opinion? Really? Here it is. Turning up on a cycling site to promote WiFi-woo is spam. 

You are not just asking an opinion- you are pushing a WiFi conspiracy theory. As others have pointed out, WiFi is not doing us harm. Pulsed signals do not produce damage which is non-linear with dosage. Antioxidants or beetroot juice or goji berries do not protect against ‘WiFi intolerance’ - the fact that no effects being measured when they are used is suggestive of no effect of anything.

There are many pollutants to worry about as a cyclist - NOx, particulates, second hand cigarette smoke*, taxis etc. I’m not going to add radio waves to that list based on a study of military radar from 1971.

Get one of those new wave cell helmets, the wavelength of the lining is perfect for interfering with WiFi signals. People on here have lots of opinions on helmets you might be interested in.

FluffyKittenofT... | 5 years ago
9 likes

Can the intensity be turned up so as to act as a death-ray for impatient drivers behind you?  If not, then I fail to see the safety benefits.

srchar | 5 years ago
6 likes

Exposure to wifi signals can cause paranoia.

Vovis | 5 years ago
2 likes

Hi guys, 

thank you for taking time and answering.

Regarding specified frequencies, I took values from an owner's manual. See Page 4 of the pdf below

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/Varia_Radar_51X_OM_EN.pdf

For RTL510/511 radar unit  it specifies

Radio frequency / protocol --> 2.4 GHz @ 4 dBm nominal, 24 GHz @ 12 dBm nominal

For RDU (receiver, head unit) it says

Wireless frequency, protocol --> 2.4 GHz ANT+ @ 0 dBm nominal

So it means Radar is operating at 24GHz  @ 12 dBm  (there are 2 commonly used standards in automotive radar industry, 24GHz and  future 77GHz) and communication protocol between two units is 2.4GHz.

=======================================

I feel, to some extend, skepticism in your answer guys. 

Of course it is not ionizing enery spectrum.

How one would get certified ionizing radioactive device for consumer electronic sector??

No one considered smoking to be harmfull long time ago. Look how things changed and how cigarette box looks today compared to 50 years ago. But we are aware of the fact today because of Knowledge and those willing to smoke take that risk. 

======================================

@ktache,

you have very creative idea. I am not sure about it. Better metal bib shorts and jersey  1

@HoarseMann,

thank you for your consideration and showing radiation pattern. It's theoretical  pattern. There is no so sharp cut-off. Less intensity signal goes back and up to cyclist as well. There are different patterns simulated and you can find some examples below

https://www.remcom.com/articles-and-papers/em-simulation-of-automotive-r...

According to the manual, radar beam width of Garmin Varia RTL510 is 40 degrees (theta).

@Drinfinity, 

since when asking opinions is considered to be a spam? I don't spam you personally.

Don't like the thread? Move to the next one unless you have something valuable to say. Cheers. 

Drinfinity | 5 years ago
4 likes

If you turn it up high enough, will it grill Spam?

HoarseMann | 5 years ago
1 like

This is the likely radiation pattern that will be firing back down the road. Not much directed at the rider.

HoarseMann | 5 years ago
3 likes

The 24GHz radar will be highly directional and very little radio energy will be directed at the rider anyway.

The 2.4GHz is just the Bluetooth/ANT link. No different to the phone in your pocket. 

In fact the phone in your pocket will have a much higher radio energy in the 1-2GHz spectrum for the the mobile signal, but again, not a health issue. 

That's the long way of saying don’t worry about it!

ktache | 5 years ago
2 likes

Covering your arse and head in tinfoil?

Though if you really are concerned, a good luck charm and as it wiould do no harm, covering the bottom of the saddle in foil?

srchar | 5 years ago
1 like

I assume 24GHz is a typo for 2.4GHz? Which is nowhere near the frequency of ionizing radiation.

Sriracha replied to srchar | 5 years ago
4 likes
srchar wrote:

I assume 24GHz is a typo for 2.4GHz? Which is nowhere near the frequency of ionizing radiation.

I would assume the 24GHz is the radar frequency whilst the 2.4GHz would be the data transmission. Neither is in the ionising spectrum.

Pages

Latest Comments