Home

Yeah....time to go climbing and rolling. Fields are getting stronger and stronger, no idea where to even start to try and unpick this one after the TT...

127 comments

Avatar
Dr Winston [839 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes
Gecko-cyclist wrote:

Looks very strong Minardi.  My team:

 

YATES

IZAGIRRE

POGACAR (Will he work for Dan?)

DE MARCHI (Will he go again?)

LANDA (Has he found his legs yet this year?)

MARTINEZ

KONRAD (Will he play second fiddle to Buchmann?)

MARTIN D. 

 

I dropped Mas after he and most of his team crashed and Schachmann as the profile looks too hard.  Bad planning and crash marred tour for me so no transfers left - Worried moi? no

 

 

 

I went for a Landa over Buchmann in the end as well. Not even sure why...Schachmann speaking this morning saying he intends to try and keep his jersey put doubt in my mind about who was leading who in BOH and then just had to decide. Landa with no form at all in a year apart from one win against a poor GC field is a big risk...on the plus side he looked ok yesterday.

Avatar
MinardiM189 [694 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes

Crazy start, 50km & break hasn't gone yet.

Demarchi picking up mountain points as they go along.

Avatar
Dr Winston [839 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes
MinardiM189 wrote:

Crazy start, 50km & break hasn't gone yet.

Demarchi picking up mountain points as they go along.

I thought it may turn out to be a strange one today. That Cat1 is very well placed and really tough. That’s where they try to ditch Schachmann and maybe the end of De Marchi’s fun for today.

Avatar
MinardiM189 [694 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes
Dr Winston wrote:
MinardiM189 wrote:

Crazy start, 50km & break hasn't gone yet.

Demarchi picking up mountain points as they go along.

I thought it may turn out to be a strange one today. That Cat1 is very well placed and really tough. That’s where they try to ditch Schachmann and maybe the end of De Marchi’s fun for today.

Looks like the fun has begun even earlier, QS going hard on the Cat3 before the first Cat1

Avatar
Dr Winston [839 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes
MinardiM189 wrote:
Dr Winston wrote:
MinardiM189 wrote:

Crazy start, 50km & break hasn't gone yet.

Demarchi picking up mountain points as they go along.

I thought it may turn out to be a strange one today. That Cat1 is very well placed and really tough. That’s where they try to ditch Schachmann and maybe the end of De Marchi’s fun for today.

Looks like the fun has begun even earlier, QS going hard on the Cat3 before the first Cat1

Can’t see Landa...has he gone already?

Avatar
Dr Winston [839 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes

Madouas still in. If he does well these next two days he’s announcing himself as a real GC rider.

Avatar
MinardiM189 [694 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes
Dr Winston wrote:

Can’t see Landa...has he gone already?

All the main contenders there I think.

The next climb will probably thin things down a bit.

Avatar
Dr Winston [839 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes
MinardiM189 wrote:
Dr Winston wrote:

Can’t see Landa...has he gone already?

All the main contenders there I think.

The next climb will probably thin things down a bit.

Sanchez is an absolutely beautiful rider. Technically he is the best rider in the peleton...completely flat back, totally still, and an effortless pedal style about him. Fantastic.

Avatar
Dr Winston [839 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes

Schachmann clinging on...just..

Avatar
MinardiM189 [694 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes

Astana getting this wrong.

They should have attacked with Fuglsang earlier.

Avatar
stevemarks [623 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes
MinardiM189 wrote:

Astana getting this wrong.

They should have attacked with Fuglsang earlier.

Looks like Bora have got their tactics right as Buchmann goes solo. 

Avatar
Dr Winston [839 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes
stevemarks wrote:
MinardiM189 wrote:

Astana getting this wrong.

They should have attacked with Fuglsang earlier.

Looks like Bora have got their tactics right as Buchmann goes solo. 

Never even entered my head that he would go solo. Never seen him do that before.

Avatar
Dr Winston [839 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes

Well they won’t bring back 1’30 on a climb against Buchmann. Astana have blown this.

Avatar
MinardiM189 [694 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes
Dr Winston wrote:

Well they won’t bring back 1’30 on a climb against Buchmann. Astana have blown this.

A complete mess up by Astana. Looks like bringing Buchmann in was a good decision for me but for completely different reasons.

At least it means Astana will have to go crazy tomorrow.

Avatar
MinardiM189 [694 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes
Dr Winston wrote:
stevemarks wrote:
MinardiM189 wrote:

Astana getting this wrong.

They should have attacked with Fuglsang earlier.

Looks like Bora have got their tactics right as Buchmann goes solo. 

Never even entered my head that he would go solo. Never seen him do that before.

I don't think it was tactics by Bora, just bad by all the other teams letting a leading competitor ride away from them without chasing until it was too late.

I think Buchmann was just marking Sanchez and nobody followed them & Sanchez helped him get away, then had a puncture.

Avatar
stevemarks [623 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes
MinardiM189 wrote:
Dr Winston wrote:

Well they won’t bring back 1’30 on a climb against Buchmann. Astana have blown this.

A complete mess up by Astana. Looks like bringing Buchmann in was a good decision for me but for completely different reasons.

At least it means Astana will have to go crazy tomorrow.

 

And there lies the difference, I don't have Buchmann

 2

 

Avatar
Condor Andy [810 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes

Jesus Minardi, you do make some great decisions!

Avatar
Dr Winston [839 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes
MinardiM189 wrote:
Dr Winston wrote:
stevemarks wrote:
MinardiM189 wrote:

Astana getting this wrong.

They should have attacked with Fuglsang earlier.

Looks like Bora have got their tactics right as Buchmann goes solo. 

Never even entered my head that he would go solo. Never seen him do that before.

I don't think it was tactics by Bora, just bad by all the other teams letting a leading competitor ride away from them without chasing until it was too late.

I think Buchmann was just marking Sanchez and nobody followed them & Sanchez helped him get away, then had a puncture.

Did he puncture?..i thought he was just called back. Looks like quite a few avoided Buchmann possibly due to confusion about how Bora would play it...or maybe already booked up wih Schachmann and Konrad. Landa was definitely the less confused pick. I'm absolutely mazed that the peleton just let Buchmann ride away from them like that....maybe, like, me, they just had him tagged a grinder on climbs and not a danger in the way he was today.

Avatar
MinardiM189 [694 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes
Dr Winston wrote:

Did he puncture?..i thought he was just called back. Looks like quite a few avoided Buchmann possibly due to confusion about how Bora would play it...or maybe already booked up wih Schachmann and Konrad. Landa was definitely the less confused pick. I'm absolutely mazed that the peleton just let Buchmann ride away from them like that....maybe, like, me, they just had him tagged a grinder on climbs and not a danger in the way he was today.

I just saw him slow up and thought his back tyre looked flat but was probably wrong.

Did Astana and Sanchez think it was Muhlberger and not Buchmann until too late?

I chose Buchmann over Landa because the final climb wasn't from the difficult direction and I thought Buchmann would hang on.

On reflection I should have dropped Martinez too.

Avatar
Sniffer [692 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes
MinardiM189 wrote:
Dr Winston wrote:

Did he puncture?..i thought he was just called back. Looks like quite a few avoided Buchmann possibly due to confusion about how Bora would play it...or maybe already booked up wih Schachmann and Konrad. Landa was definitely the less confused pick. I'm absolutely mazed that the peleton just let Buchmann ride away from them like that....maybe, like, me, they just had him tagged a grinder on climbs and not a danger in the way he was today.

I just saw him slow up and thought his back tyre looked flat but was probably wrong.

Did Astana and Sanchez think it was Muhlberger and not Buchmann until too late?

I chose Buchmann over Landa because the final climb wasn't from the difficult direction and I thought Buchmann would hang on.

On reflection I should have dropped Martinez too.

Missed the Buchmann opportnity.

In reality holding Schachmann for the day won't be a bad decision.  GC points for 3rd, must still be holding points jersey, best young rider to go with 9th on the stage and a team mate bonus.

I did consider Buchmann, but went Fuglsang and Pogacar instead.  The best play would have been dropping Martinez, but I doubt many would have done that.

Avatar
MinardiM189 [694 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes

KoM points stage 5

The offical site has got Van Rensberg as coming 4th on IXUA GAINA cat1 climb.

Van Rensberg was knowhere in site, it was actually Pogacar.

They took the KoM as shown in the pic

Sanchez, Izagirre, Landa, Pogacar, Buchmann, Gaudu

Avatar
MinardiM189 [694 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes
Sniffer wrote:

Missed the Buchmann opportnity.

In reality holding Schachmann for the day won't be a bad decision.  GC points for 3rd, must still be holding points jersey, best young rider to go with 9th on the stage and a team mate bonus.

I did consider Buchmann, but went Fuglsang and Pogacar instead.  The best play would have been dropping Martinez, but I doubt many would have done that.

I never considered dropping Martinez, he was unfortunate at the end, he got left behind by the front few and dragged everybody else to the finish before they all jumped him.

Working out what to do with my 3 remaining transfers isn't going to be easy.

Avatar
stevemarks [623 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes
MinardiM189 wrote:
Sniffer wrote:

Missed the Buchmann opportnity.

In reality holding Schachmann for the day won't be a bad decision.  GC points for 3rd, must still be holding points jersey, best young rider to go with 9th on the stage and a team mate bonus.

I did consider Buchmann, but went Fuglsang and Pogacar instead.  The best play would have been dropping Martinez, but I doubt many would have done that.

I never considered dropping Martinez, he was unfortunate at the end, he got left behind by the front few and dragged everybody else to the finish before they all jumped him.

Working out what to do with my 3 remaining transfers isn't going to be easy.

At least I saved myself that problem Lol!

Avatar
Condor Andy [810 posts] 7 months ago
1 like
MinardiM189 wrote:

KoM points stage 5

The offical site has got Van Rensberg as coming 4th on IXUA GAINA cat1 climb.

Van Rensberg was knowhere in site, it was actually Pogacar.

They took the KoM as shown in the pic

Sanchez, Izagirre, Landa, Pogacar, Buchmann, Gaudu

Roger that, I'll keep my eye on it and update later.

Avatar
MinardiM189 [694 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes
Condor Andy wrote:
MinardiM189 wrote:

KoM points stage 5

The offical site has got Van Rensberg as coming 4th on IXUA GAINA cat1 climb.

Van Rensberg was knowhere in sight, it was actually Pogacar.

They took the KoM as shown in the pic

Sanchez, Izagirre, Landa, Pogacar, Buchmann, Gaudu

Roger that, I'll keep my eye on it and update later.

It looks like Van Rensberg is keeping his KoM points, the race site and UCI have him still listed as 4th on that climb.

I guess someone wrote the numbers down wrong, 134 instead of 104.

Avatar
Dr Winston [839 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes

Nineteen riders in the break. Anybody of any significance?

Avatar
MinardiM189 [694 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes
Dr Winston wrote:

Nineteen riders in the break. Anybody of any significance?

No-one a GC threat but Movistar have 3 riders  & UAE 2.

Gap isn't very big though.

I have a feeling it is going to be all back together soon.

Avatar
MinardiM189 [694 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes

My team for the final day -

YATES A.
IZAGIRRE I.
BUCHMANN
FUGLSANG
MARTIN D.
LANDA
POGACAR
QUINTERO

Dropped Martinez for Landa & brought Quintero in for Bravo.

Still have one transfer left.

Avatar
Dr Winston [839 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes
MinardiM189 wrote:
Dr Winston wrote:

Nineteen riders in the break. Anybody of any significance?

No-one a GC threat but Movistar have 3 riders  & UAE 2.

Gap isn't very big though.

I have a feeling it is going to be all back together soon.

I need De Marchi to rack some pts up to have a chance at the purist

Avatar
MinardiM189 [694 posts] 7 months ago
0 likes
Dr Winston wrote:
MinardiM189 wrote:
Dr Winston wrote:

Nineteen riders in the break. Anybody of any significance?

No-one a GC threat but Movistar have 3 riders  & UAE 2.

Gap isn't very big though.

I have a feeling it is going to be all back together soon.

I need De Marchi to rack some pts up to have a chance at the purist

He has picked up 3+3+3+1 so far

but will probably drop down to 3rd overall by the end of the day.

Pages