Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Trying to keep up with my friends on road bikes

Having ridden a 3x mtb for quite a while (well over 5 years....) I'm on the market for a gravel/cx one.

I tried some and, while I'm definitely after a light carbon frame bike, the biggest difference I noticed came from the gears. And here's the point: as I understand it, many a road bike have a 52-36 crankset and 11-28 cassette. This gives you a ratio of 4.72/1.28 which in gear/inches translates as 35.8-132.16 ({Gear/Inches} =wheel diameter in inches X n° of teeth in front chainring divided by n° of teeth in rear sprocket}}...if I understand it right. Great for speeding, not so when climbing (I live in the South of France and climbing cannot be avoided).

I noticed that, for example (similar price bracket):

1)The lovely White Essex One has a: 44 (1x) & 10-42cassette= 4.4/1.04 , i.e. gear/inches:  29.2 - 123.2

2)The new Giant Revolt Advanced2: 48-32   & 11-34cassette = 4.36/0.94, i.e. gear/inches: 26.3- 122.1 

3)The new Orro Terra C Adventure:   48-32       11-30                  = 4.36/1.06                                    29.7- 122.1

and so on...

Am I doing it right? Because from this it appears that, for ex, the n°2 climbs more easily and it is not that much "slower" when speeding.. 

Basically: can anyone advise on a carbon frame bike, in this price bracket, that I can (also) take offroad on steep paths but that would allow me to keep up with my friends on road bikes....?

For reference, my old Giant 3x mtb: 42-22         11-30                 = 3.81/0.73                                    19 - 99.1 (insanely easy for climbing but makes me pedal like crazy when speeding on flat asphalt road...!!).

Any comment would be appreciated!

Huck.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

43 comments

Huckfinn | 5 years ago
0 likes

Ok,

So I found what I was originally looking for and thought would have been quite hard to find.

This one:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcx-advanced-1-2014

And it seems to be in almost new condition at a great price.

The original one, the colour I was looking for.

So one question: you guys reckon I can swap the original 11x28 10 speed cassette for an 11-36, right?

Thanks!!

Huckfinn | 5 years ago
1 like

Excellent, thanks!!

Just looked it up on youtube. 

Now I sent an email to these guys to make sure their Carbon wheels 

@rdmp2: thanks for the advice!!

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Possibly.  If the derailleur wont clear the biggest cog on the cass, it will require a long cage derailleur/or fot a lomg cage yourself.  Else it will need a ''road link" or "Wolf tooth' derailleur hanger extension.

You know how to adjust the B screw on a derailleur?

rdmp2 | 5 years ago
1 like

Are you overthinking this? Buy a bike that you like and fits you- the gearing can always be adjusted later (at cost though). THe weight difference between carbon + 105 and Alu + ultegra/dura ace will prob be small. You seem set on carbon- get the carbon bike, 105 is great. Alternatively with a 40c tyre any lack of comfort from alu won’t be noticeable at all. If you are a person who would upgrade components then go for the carbon frame. Personally I’d rather have the hydro brakes and alu frame. Ride the bike, decide whether the gearing needs altering and change it over time

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

If  the aluminium is 11 speed the largest cassette will be 11-34, not a problem if that is enough for climbing?. 

11-36 cassette only came in 10 speed.  If you want even more then its MTB groupsets, but that brings issues with there are no road shifters to match unless you go full electronic Shimano Di2.

It looks like there will be associated costs to improve gearing.  

I refer you back to the 2019 Boardman ADV 8.9. 

Its 10 speed with 48/32 cranksetset. (could change inner ring to 30t)https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/fsa-pro-road-120-90bcd-chainring-2003198...

You could fit a 11-34 10speed cassette(10-speed Cassette CS-HG500 11-34 £25) or try a 11-36 with a long cage Tiagra derailleur.  

So for less than £100 pounds upgrade this new Boardman with a cassette and inner chain ring

By far the simpliest and cost efficient route to a an allround bike you want

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2138-adv-8.9.html

Huckfinn replied to CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

11-36 cassette only came in 10 speed.  ...

Do you reckon this road one from Sram in 11/36 would not be compatible?:

https://www.evanscycles.com/sram-powerglide-1170-11-speed-road-cassette-...

Huckfinn | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hey, 

Thanks!

-Max tyre size is 40c for both models, which is fine

-The Carbon one has a 105 11 speed 36/46-11/28, TRP Spyre Discs,

-The Aluxx has Dura Ace 34/50-Ultegra 11/34 (I could put an 11/36 on this one I think), Hydraulic Discs,

I seem to prefer carbon, but as the frame I wanted to buy to build a bike is not my size and any other decent one seems quite expensive, I started looking and second hand bikes...I'm not sure if the listed bikes have a long or short derailleur. I have a friend that could change that, I guess..

And I guess the second one has better highs and lows, doesn't it...?

I was simply concerned about an aluminium frame...I mean, I've done 110k km on my Giant Aluminium MTB. Ans it looks kind of new..So I guess they do good frames. Just that everybody seems to think carbon's better. And also the weight issue with aluminium....

Anyway: the first one is this: https://www.leboncoin.fr/velos/1551180746.htm/

The second one is "similar" to the link you posted, except the guy changed groupset, wheels and it has full hydraulics... 

Huckfinn | 5 years ago
0 likes

So,

I found two used Giant TCX bikes. I'm quite "particular" towards the TCX. I tried it and liked it. The ones I found for sale, alas, are rather different from each other: 

- The first is full carbon, dates back to 2017, is a 2x Shimano 105 BUT has Spyre TRP Disc Brakes & average quality Giant PX-2 wheels.

- The second is 2X mix of Dura Ace and Ultegra, full hydraulic disc brakes BUT has an Aluxx frame + Carbon fork, is a 2016 model and has better CXR-1 wheels.

Similar price range (800/900 Euros).

The first is basically spanking new, the second just a bit more used......

NOW: what do you all think? ....I need some advice!!

Basically, which is the less devil: Spyre TRP brakes or aluminium frame.....? (I really would not upgrade the aluminium frame but, looking at the negative feedback I see on the net,  I guess I could get rid of the Spyre and update to hydraulics....?)

Thanks!

CXR94Di2 replied to Huckfinn | 5 years ago
0 likes

Huckfinn wrote:

So,

I found two used Giant TCX bikes. I'm quite "particular" towards the TCX. I tried it and liked it. The ones I found for sale, alas, are rather different from each other: 

- The first is full carbon, dates back to 2017, is a 2x Shimano 105 BUT has Spyre TRP Disc Brakes & average quality Giant PX-2 wheels.

- The second is 2X mix of Dura Ace and Ultegra, full hydraulic disc brakes BUT has an Aluxx frame + Carbon fork, is a 2016 model and has better CXR-1 wheels.

Similar price range (800/900 Euros).

The first is basically spanking new, the second just a bit more used......

NOW: what do you all think? ....I need some advice!!

Basically, which is the less devil: Spyre TRP brakes or aluminium frame.....? (I really would not upgrade the aluminium frame but, looking at the negative feedback I see on the net,  I guess I could get rid of the Spyre and update to hydraulics....?)

Thanks!

Need to go back a step and confirm a few requirements.

What maximum tyre size?

What gearing on groupset, chain ring sizes and cassette range?

Brakes, confirm disc and hydraulic?

frame type, you seem set on carbon.

The bikes you listed which models and list their spec re gearing and rear derailleur type(long cage or short)

Edit What I can find is https://road.cc/content/review/173646-giant-tcx-slr-1   

Groupset 46/36  11-28 cass.  Is that low enough and high enough gearing?

Huckfinn | 5 years ago
0 likes

Cool,

Thanks for that!

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

1)Any suggestion for an "aero" handlebar" with internal cable routing?                                                          2)Also: what do you think of the AbsoluteBlack 48/32 sub-compact chainring?                                            3)And the ShockStop Suspension Stem?

P.S.: I now see what you mean: I basically could install an FSA 50/34 or 48/32, the first with an 11/36 cassette, the second with a 10/40 one?

Reply to your questions above

1) Aero bars or complete assy bar stems need to be perfect width and reach or it could be an expensive mistake.  You could try cheap aluminium bars and stems to get the best comfortable setup then upgrade to a integrated stem/bars after-just a thought

2) A couple of my friends have swapped out their 50/34 rings for these Absolute Black sub compact rings and love them  1

3) Shockstop, Id never heard of them until you posted.

What size tyres are you thinking of using, are they going to be tubeless or not?

Virtually all suspension comes from the tyres, so if you are using 28/32/35/38mm tubeless tyres with just the right amount of psi, they will feel super smooth and comfy

Here is a review of the stem

https://road.cc/content/review/249893-redshift-sports-shockstop-suspensi...

Huckfinn | 5 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2, somehow I didn't see your last comment, and prepared the following list. Now I'll check your comments......:

-FRAME:         Cube Agree C:62 SLT     (which I could find at a good price)                                                            -FORK:            Cube Axial WLS C:62 SL                                                                                                                               -GROUPSET: Sram Force 22 or Ultegra Hydro 2x: at least a 48/32-11/34 (or better 50…)                          -WHEELS:       three out of a few that seem good:                                                                                                                                                 1) https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/cero-ar24-evo-alloy-wheelset-2017                                                         2) https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-V-shape-36mm-depth-hand-built-carbon-r...                                                                                                                                                                                3) https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fr/fr/roues-a-disque-prime-pro/rp-pr...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              -TIRES:             Terrene Elwood 700x40: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYTEREW7/terrene-elwood-700c-tyre                                                                                                                                                                                       -HANDLEBAR:         3T Ergoterra Carbon: https://www.evanscycles.com/en-fr/3t-ergoterra-team-carbon-cyclocross-ha...                                                                                                                                                         -BAR TAPE:               Specialized BG Phat: https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specialized/BG-Phat-45mm-Bar-Tape/DI8

.............what do you guys think?   

+

1)Any suggestion for an "aero" handlebar" with internal cable routing?                                                          2)Also: what do you think of the AbsoluteBlack 48/32 sub-compact chainring?                                            3)And the ShockStop Suspension Stem?

P.S.: I now see what you mean: I basically could install an FSA 50/34 or 48/32, the first with an 11/36 cassette, the second with a 10/40 one?

Thanks!!

Huckfinn | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for that.

I just don't get "Make sure the spec you want gearing IE . 21"-115"

Can you pls explain what you meant?

0 likes

Huckfinn wrote:

Thanks for that.

I just don't get "Make sure the spec you want gearing IE . 21"-115"

Can you pls explain what you meant?

I thought you wanted easy gearing for climbing, but also enough top end to stay with your friends,.  You talked in gear inches so i talked that way . 21" equates to having minimum gearing of 30t chainring and 36t cog on the cass.   115" is 48t chainring with an 11t on the cassette.   FSA do an Adventure series of chainsets 50/34, 48/32 46/30.    SHimano do 50/34 which has a BCD(bolt centre circle) 110mm so can only take a 33t inner ring smallest.  FSA Adventure crankset are 90mm so can go smaller in the inner ring down to 30t.

Youre quite light, so a 48/32 FSA sub compact crankset would probably suit you very well. Get a 10speed, 11-36 cassette and you have a good range of gearing 23" on the easy end 115" top end

Huckfinn | 5 years ago
0 likes

...."why does the bike have to be carbon framed...?"

1) weight                                                                                                                                                                                     2) whenever I tried an aluminium vs carbon (for ex: Giant TCX) I much preferred the second...

@kevvjj : Looks like quite a cool bike, thanks! Altough, for that price, I would prefer the (even heavier) Giant Revolt with a 48/32-11/34.

@rdmp2 : budget mid-2k euros. Thanks for the Checkpoint suggestion! that's also a good one!

One thing though: why are they all so "heavy"? I mean, following the suggestion from CXR94Di2 I stopped at my lbs this morning. They'd charge 150-200euros to install a bike. Basically I could buy a Cube Agree C:62 frame + fork, Ultegra or Sram 22, these wheels:                                 https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fr/fr/roues-a-disque-prime-pro/rp-pr... or even:   https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-V-shape-36mm-depth-hand-built-carbon-r..., carbon ones which seem to have a good reputation, and the guy at the lbs said the bike would certainly not be heavier than 8kg and quite possibly lighter than that.....

Where is the catch? I don't get it..

0 likes

Huckfinn wrote:

...."why does the bike have to be carbon framed...?"

1) weight                                                                                                                                                                                     2) whenever I tried an aluminium vs carbon (for ex: Giant TCX) I much preferred the second...

@kevvjj : Looks like quite a cool bike, thanks! Altough, for that price, I would prefer the (even heavier) Giant Revolt with a 48/32-11/34.

@rdmp2 : budget mid-2k euros. Thanks for the Checkpoint suggestion! that's also a good one!

One thing though: why are they all so "heavy"? I mean, following the suggestion from CXR94Di2 I stopped at my lbs this morning. They'd charge 150-200euros to install a bike. Basically I could buy a Cube Agree C:62 frame + fork, Ultegra or Sram 22, these wheels:                                 https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fr/fr/roues-a-disque-prime-pro/rp-pr... or even:   https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-V-shape-36mm-depth-hand-built-carbon-r..., carbon ones which seem to have a good reputation, and the guy at the lbs said the bike would certainly not be heavier than 8kg and quite possibly lighter than that.....

Where is the catch? I don't get it..

Make sure the spec you want gearing IE . 21"-115"  wide tyre 40mm capacity and hydro disc brakes are possible on the frame you like.  

Once you've built one bike you quickly realise, its not difficult at all.  For a LBS making up bikes all the time, its a doddle for them and done with speed, so quite cheap.  If you want that gear range please ensure lbs confirms 

rdmp2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Budget?

Trek Checkpoint?

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Ive edit my post to look at the Genesis bike

Your frame design dictates whether internal or external cable routing.  You have the option to think about electronic shifting Di2, costs rise alot.  I suggest you stick with 10 speed because of the available 11-36 cass to give climbing gears,  mated with a 48/32 crank

Just out of interest, why does the bike have to be carbon framed, when running large tyres?  

Huckfinn | 5 years ago
0 likes

What a coincidence!!

That's exactly what I was looking at now!

Never built one myself, so finding websites who sell at reasonable prices components that I'm not 100% sure what are needed ....is tricky.

Of course, I need: 

1)a carbon frame and fork

2)a hydro groupset

3) quality wheels + handlebar

But what about all the bits and pieces............?

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Have you thought of building up a bike?   Get the frame, gearing, groupset and tyre clearance.

Here is a carbon frame bike,  it will need different groupset/BB and cassette to achieve gearing range you desire.  Its wide tyre and disc braked

Genesis Datum 10 2019 - Road Bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnxaq1dpKVc

Huckfinn | 5 years ago
0 likes

....Any suggestion for a carbon framed one? 

By the way, thanks for the Rose suggestion Peted76.

kevvjj replied to Huckfinn | 5 years ago
0 likes

Huckfinn wrote:

....Any suggestion for a carbon framed one? 

By the way, thanks for the Rose suggestion Peted76.

Have a look at the GT Grade in carbon. Tyre size is limited to about 34c but a very capable bike on and off-road.

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

CX/gravel/adventure bike can do it all, if it has the right gearing and tyres.   I own a Kinesis Tripster titanium adventure bike.  It has wide tyre capacity, so I run 40 mm G Ones most of the time to do club rides, 100 mile sportives.  In this setup I can ride over 21mph solo for 10 miles, do 19 mph 70 mile club runs.  If I swap my wheels to the aero set, I have used the above bike >21 mph on closed road 80 mile sportives.  Then if I swap my wheels to mountain setup, I can ride up any climb at a high cadence because it has very low end gearing.  It's not the lightest or raciest geometry but the difference between a race bike and adventure bike isn't so great.  Just need to accept all the marketing about sub category bikes is bull-one bike can do most of it.

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

FSA adventure crankset do 50/34 .48/32 46/30.  They use a threaded bottom bracket

peted76 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Rose have a configurator.. and I hear good things about them.. 

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bikes/gravel

Also you can choose a 46/36 crank.. with an 11/34 rear cassette on.. that's about as good as it gets gravely/roady wise I reckon. 

Huckfinn | 5 years ago
0 likes

The Boardman looks lovely..pity it's not carbon!!

I had a look at the carbon ones but there doesn't seem to be any 2x

I'll use one set of tires, probably 38 or 40c.

48/32x11/34, or 50/36x10/42 I think would be absolutely perfect

rdmp2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Are you planning to just use one set of tyres or change depending on terrain? Only ask as a larger tyre increases the gearing slightly. 48x11 gearing with a 45c tyre is marginally bigger (practically equal to) 50x11 with a 25c tyre. Personally I think 48/32 chainset is fine for me but there aren't many options (and they aren't exactly aesthetically pleasing). Most long cage road mechs are now fine with a 34t sprocket so you can get 1:1 gearing with a compact chainset (albeit with some slightly larger jumps than from a tight cassette). IMHO anything much over 110 gear inches isn't worth it- I'd rather duck and tuck. But I have occasionally been grateful for my 28 gear inch low gear

Huckfinn | 5 years ago
0 likes

@Daveyraveygravey: you put it right when you say "CX/gravel/adventure bikes are a compromise...... They can mix some road riding and some gravel riding, but at the extremes of either they just won't be as good."

I suspect the title of my post should have been more like "Trying to keep up with my friends on road bikes: which wide-tire bike could I buy". That could have made clearer I guess.

And by wide I mean 38 to 45c......, with discs, .....and low gears :-))))

0 likes

Huckfinn wrote:

@Daveyraveygravey: you put it right when you say "CX/gravel/adventure bikes are a compromise...... They can mix some road riding and some gravel riding, but at the extremes of either they just won't be as good."

I suspect the title of my post should have been more like "Trying to keep up with my friends on road bikes: which wide-tire bike could I buy". That could have made clearer I guess.

And by wide I mean 38 to 45c......, with discs, .....and low gears :-))))

Have a look at the Boardman ADV 8.9 .It comes with 10 speed 11-32 Cass and 48/32 crankset.  It takes 40 mm tyres standard.  I would change the inner ring to 30t because FSA adventure crankset has also a 46/30 crank on the same BCD.   Then I would fit a 11-36 Cass, these are available in 10 speed.  

That would give you gear inches 21.96 to 115" .Is that enough range?

Boardman from Halfords plus discount if have vouchers and or British cycling membership

Only it's alloy frame, but it won't matter on 40 mm tyres, it will be Uber smooth

alansmurphy | 5 years ago
1 like

I'm also of the camp that doesn't put too much weight on the 53/11 gearing. How much of our cycling life do we spend spinning out, i'd suggest not much. Having closer ratios in the middle of the cog and the more comfortable climbing gears will be much more efficient over a reasonably long ride...

Pages

Latest Comments