Trying to keep up with my friends on road bikes

Having ridden a 3x mtb for quite a while (well over 5 years....) I'm on the market for a gravel/cx one.

I tried some and, while I'm definitely after a light carbon frame bike, the biggest difference I noticed came from the gears. And here's the point: as I understand it, many a road bike have a 52-36 crankset and 11-28 cassette. This gives you a ratio of 4.72/1.28 which in gear/inches translates as 35.8-132.16 ({Gear/Inches} =wheel diameter in inches X n° of teeth in front chainring divided by n° of teeth in rear sprocket}}...if I understand it right. Great for speeding, not so when climbing (I live in the South of France and climbing cannot be avoided).

I noticed that, for example (similar price bracket):

1)The lovely White Essex One has a: 44 (1x) & 10-42cassette= 4.4/1.04 , i.e. gear/inches:  29.2 - 123.2

2)The new Giant Revolt Advanced2: 48-32   & 11-34cassette = 4.36/0.94, i.e. gear/inches: 26.3- 122.1 

3)The new Orro Terra C Adventure:   48-32       11-30                  = 4.36/1.06                                    29.7- 122.1

and so on...

Am I doing it right? Because from this it appears that, for ex, the n°2 climbs more easily and it is not that much "slower" when speeding.. 

Basically: can anyone advise on a carbon frame bike, in this price bracket, that I can (also) take offroad on steep paths but that would allow me to keep up with my friends on road bikes....?

For reference, my old Giant 3x mtb: 42-22         11-30                 = 3.81/0.73                                    19 - 99.1 (insanely easy for climbing but makes me pedal like crazy when speeding on flat asphalt road...!!).

Any comment would be appreciated!

Huck.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments