Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

105 10 Speed cassette with 11 speed shifters

Morning all,

My road bike was serviced at weekend. I was informed of a difference in parts, which I wasnt able to deduce how it happend. I have a 105 10 speed cassette with 11 speed shifters(maybe an 11 speed chain)? Now when I stand up and apply pressure to the pedals the chain slips, happens in all gears and can be a nightmare in the little ring going up 20% hills.

I understand the shifters pull different cable tensions but would this cause massive chain slip?

Any advice would be massively appreciated

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

fukawitribe | 5 years ago
0 likes

I'm more intrigued in how a cassette gets accidently fitted to a bike without anyone realising...

mancsi | 5 years ago
0 likes

I havent smiled so much reading responses for a while haha!

So for like £57 it should stop this issue!?

Bike shop did check the chain rings and said theyre ok. Its not particulaly a worn cassette its just 10 speed, the chain is stretched but its not outrageous.

kil0ran replied to mancsi | 5 years ago
0 likes
mancsi wrote:

Bike shop did check the chain rings and said theyre ok. Its not particulaly a worn cassette its just 10 speed, the chain is stretched but its not outrageous.

Plus labour. Probably worth doing the rear shifter cable too, that's easy enough even if it's under the bar tape, you won't need to unwrap the bars. 30 minute job tops.

mancsi replied to kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:
mancsi wrote:

Plus labour. Probably worth doing the rear shifter cable too, that's easy enough even if it's under the bar tape, you won't need to unwrap the bars. 30 minute job tops.

The cables were all changed 2 weeks ago with the initial service. Thanks.

The 10 speed cassette may of been fitted in a rush, easily done in the bike cellar! haha

Anyone at the bike show this weekend?

kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

11-speed cassette and chain, sorted. Might need the limit screws adjusting and will definitely need re-indexing but that's easy enough to do. Did the LBS check your chainrings for wear? If the cassette and chain are that bad they might also be damaged.

vonhelmet | 5 years ago
0 likes

Get an 11 speed cassette for like £40. Job done.

aegisdesign replied to vonhelmet | 5 years ago
1 like

vonhelmet wrote:

Get an 11 speed cassette for like £40. Job done.

And a new chain. False economy putting a worn chain on a new casette.

mancsi | 5 years ago
0 likes

Sorry I havent had chance to respond ive been away.

My wheels are FFWD F5R and are 11 speed compatable. The shifters are 11 speed, the brake cable runs under the bar tape and through the Deda handlebars. I bought the bike new with all 11 speed. Somewhere over the past 2 years a 10 speed cassette has been fitted(no idea where or how). The deraileur I presume is 105 as thats never been changed. The chain is worn but in every gear if I stand the chain slips.

Would an 11 speed cassette and new chain stop this? I need the cheapest option really and need to get a shift on as im doing the RNLI Rhosneiger bike ride in 2 weeks! 3400ft in 40 miles! Ill needto be standing to grind some of the climbs. All advice is a huge help and I appreciate it massively!

vonhelmet | 5 years ago
0 likes

I’m not clear on which parts you actually have.

Are the shifters definitely 11 speed? Do they have the cables coming out of the shifter body or is it all routed under the tape? If it’s under the tape, they’re 11 speed. If the shift cables come out of the side then they are 10 speed, or they could be less, though that seems unlikely.

If you have a 10 speed cassette, it will not work with 11 speed shifters. No, not even, and never. Do not pass go, do not collect £200. You could set it up to work in literally one gear, but then every other gear would be out to an extent, more so the further you moved across the cassette from that one gear. Your description of the problem - the chain slipping in every gear - matches up with that.

The chain should also be the same speed as the cassette, as the fatter 10 speed cogs could stick in an 11 speed chain or a fatter ten speed chain could stick on the skinny 11 speed cogs, whichever way round things go.

If you have 11 speed shifters, you need to go back to the bike shop and get them to put an 11 speed cassette on.

Don’t change the mech yet, not until you’ve ascertained what’s going on elsewhere.

kil0ran replied to vonhelmet | 5 years ago
0 likes

vonhelmet wrote:

If you have a 10 speed cassette, it will not work with 11 speed shifters. No, not even, and never. Do not pass go, do not collect £200. You could set it up to work in literally one gear, but then every other gear would be out to an extent, more so the further you moved across the cassette from that one gear. Your description of the problem - the chain slipping in every gear - matches up with that.

A ten speed cassette and derailleur can work with 11-speed shifters, but only if the rear mech is Tiagra 4700 - because the cable pull is the same for 105/Ultegra/DuraAce. You'll just need a longer limit screw to prevent the final click from chucking the chain in the spokes.

vonhelmet replied to kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

vonhelmet wrote:

A ten speed cassette and derailleur can work with 11-speed shifters, but only if the rear mech is Tiagra 4700 - because the cable pull is the same for 105/Ultegra/DuraAce. You'll just need a longer limit screw to prevent the final click from chucking the chain in the spokes.

Ok, but assuming OP already has the 11 speed shifters - the expensive bit - they may as well get the 11 speed mech and cassette.

kil0ran replied to vonhelmet | 5 years ago
0 likes

vonhelmet wrote:

kil0ran wrote:

vonhelmet wrote:

Ok, but assuming OP already has the 11 speed shifters - the expensive bit - they may as well get the 11 speed mech and cassette.

Unless his wheels are only 10-speed compatible. It's one of the main reasons I run ten speed - pretty much any wheel will work, and it opens up choice particularly in disc-brake wheels. Less of an issue now but a couple of years ago 11-speed stuff was certainly carrying a small premium and there was less choice.

VeloUSA | 5 years ago
0 likes

Measure your chain. Sounds worn and needs to be replaced.

srchar | 5 years ago
1 like

Sounds like you need to visit a different bike shop. One that knows what they're doing.

A109 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Confusingly 105 10speed shifters have an 11th click. I dont really know why this is the case but the pull length is different to an actual 11 speed shifter.

Did the bike shop fit an 11sp cassette to your bike? That would explain why no gears are indexed correctly, you will need to go back to a 10 speed and then you should be able to get it working.

Dnnnnnn | 5 years ago
0 likes

An 11 speed chain should be OK on a 10 speed cassette, certainly not the cause of serious slipping. Have you checked it for stiff links? Is it very worn? 

Odd that you have 11spd shifters and a 10spd cassette... they shouldn't work well together, although I wouldn't have though catastrophic slippage would result across the cassette.

Couldn't be that a mysteriously new 10spd cassette has been fitted alongside a worn 11 spd chain...?

http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-...

kil0ran | 5 years ago
1 like

Was it shifting properly before servicing? If so, they haven't serviced it properly

Chain won't be the issue but cable pull will be. What rear derailleur is it running (post a picture if you can, the model number isn't easy to find because it's on the back of the inner parallelogram link)

If you need to stick with 10-speed then the best option is probably to buy the Tiagra 4700 derailleur - less than £20 and uses the same cable pull as 11 speed.

Latest Comments