Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best Cycling Friendly Hotels in Mallorca

I'm off to Majorca on my hols in September and wondered if other Road.cc members have a favourite cycle friendly hotel. I would prefer it not to be kid friendly and to be very quiet. A pool and close to the hills would be nice. Any recommendations welcome. Many thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

PRSboy | 5 years ago
1 like

Don't go in or close to school holiday time, there will likely be no kids.

I would suggest a bigger issue are stag/hen dos which frequent some areas nr Alcudia, Magaluf etc.  I'd rather kids dive-bombing the pool than some lot singing Vindaloo at 3am in the corridor.

redspear999 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hotel Astoria in Alcudia is worth a look. Adults only when I stayed there last year and would assume it still is. Had on site secure bike storage. Rooms/food was good. 

darrenleroy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the tips. 

Luv2ride | 5 years ago
0 likes

I think I'm staying here in October (not 100% though as other half arranged it):

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1028722-d290454-Reviews-Hoposa_Hotel_Apartments_Villaconcha-Port_de_Pollenca_Majorca_Balearic_Islands.html

They have a bike garage with washing and airing facilities, and close to the marina in Puerto Pollenca.  Looking forward to it....

shutuplegz | 5 years ago
1 like

I personally prefer the South Western end of the mountains - and you don't have to stay in Magaluf! I do like cycling around the Northern end of the island but once you have done the ride out to Formentor Lighthouse and a couple of loops into the mountains from Pollenca to Lluc and maybe the Sa Calobra climb you either have to up the mileage/elevation significantly to do bigger loops, e.g. Soller, or mix in some flatish rides. I normally go late August/early September so it is usually still 30-35 degC so I am often limited by how much fluid I can carry or where I can guarantee to pick something up en-route and I am always on my own. If you are a more capable rider than me, or in a group and 80/100 mile rides with >15000ft elevation in 30+DegC heat is no issue for you then fine (one of my favourites  around Andratx is 50 miles, 11,000ft of climbing and about my limit with two bottles, 35degree heat and a couple of energy bars. I usually don't go out until later in the afternoon though so sometimes also limited by daylight. I could go further, on a full day ride, with planned stops for food/drink but I am also on a family holiday so have to rein it in a bit!).

On the other hand, at the SW end of the Tramuntana Mountains the roads are both more numerous and quieter, with less traffic than the popular routes to the north, where coaches in particular can be a bit scary on the hairpins on the bigger roads (or getting in your way on the downhill sections!). The main coastal route all the way down to Andratx can be busy at times but it is quieter than the northern end and inland from this there are loads of quiet routes, and whilst maybe not the headline climbs like Sa Calobra or Puig Major they are still much more 'climby' than anything here in the UK and so much quieter. I can easily fill two weeks with varied routes, sometimes the same climb or route in reverse, down in the SW of the island whereas I think I would have a bit more repetition at the northern end as there just aren't so many roads to chose from, without going on the flat - which I can do at home!

I think one of the Stephen Roche cycling holiday hotels is in Palmanova which is an ideal base and much closer to the airport (and Palma for wet days) than Alcudia/Pollenca. I see lots of other cycling groups around this area too, particularly German and Dutch so I think pretty much where-ever you go on the island you will find hotels geared up for cyclists.

Mungecrundle | 5 years ago
1 like

Playa Mar in Port Pollenca. Stuart Hall operate out of there. Allow cycles in rooms. Great buffet and near the best routes. Just come back from a week cycling, first time in Mallorca and already saving for next year.

darrenleroy replied to Mungecrundle | 5 years ago
0 likes

Mungecrundle wrote:

Playa Mar in Port Pollenca. Stuart Hall operate out of there. Allow cycles in rooms. Great buffet and near the best routes. Just come back from a week cycling, first time in Mallorca and already saving for next year.

I think it has kids. Did you notice kids? I would prefer no kids. 

graybags | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've always stayed at Club Pollentia, very cyclist friendly and good value, also very popular with triathletes so always plenty of crazy people doing lengths at 6.30am. Not the sort of place that you would go with a family and can't actually recal having seen any kids there on my previous visits. It is a little isolated, so cabs needed if you want to go to Alcudi or Pollentia in the evening. half board is a good choice, evening buffet is very extensive with huge choice of food

Latest Comments