Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Issues with Evans Cycles and my Pinnacle bike

In October 2015 I purchased a Pinnacle Arkose 3 from Evans Cycles and have been immensely impressed with both it and the Evans service, until a few weeks ago.

Whilst cycling home, without warning, the rear hanger snapped and sent the rear derailleur through the spokes of the rear wheel. As there was nothing I could do at the scene I was forced to push my bike the remaining miles of the journey. When back, the first thing I did was get online and order a new rear hanger (I already had a spare derailleur so this was not an issue).

A few days later the hanger arrived in store and I picked it up so that I could fix the bike and continue my daily commute by bike. Upon return home with the supplied hanger however, I discovered that it did not fit my bike! I checked the code on the side (BGRD-4) and it was correct but the hanger did not match shape of the broken one or the image on the Evans website.

I contacted Evans online for assistance in this matter as I was very confused to say the least. After a lot of back messages and images sent and forth over several days (and being forced to commute by train) I finally got the correct hanger.

More poignantly, I learnt during this time that:

• In 2011 Evans changed the shape of the BGRD-4 to the one I had
  • The old shape then became BGRD-1
  • I had somehow received old (pre 2012) stock of the BGRD-4
  • The BGRD-4 had been recalled in December 2015
  • The replacement hanger was BGRD-4. (full stop at the end)

This means that the hanger breaking was possibly not just a freak accident but a flaw in the item itself!

The email for the recall had slipped through the cracks and escaped my notice, however in May 2016 my bike was booked into an Evans Cycles store for a "Silver Service". I believe that as part of this service the recalled hanger should have been identified and replaced, Evans are of the opinion that as "The Silver Service that you booked was five months after the recall. This would not have been looked at".

I believe that it does not matter if it is 5 days, 5 weeks, 5 months or 5 years. If the item that they sold me was defective and they had the opportunity to resolve this then they should have done. As they did not I think that they should compensate me for the damage to the derailleur and wheel but I seem to be getting nowhere.

Am I wrong, should I just accept that it was my fault for not seeing the recall notice within a period of less than 5 months?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

55 comments

Welsh boy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Ok, so you try to convince everyone that the gear hanger snapped all on its own without you doing anything then you suddenly remember that you crashed because of a fault with the bile, a minor point which escaped your memory until someone pointed out this potential problem with the bikes. M, I don’t think we are getting the whole truth in the original post are we

ClubSmed replied to Welsh boy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Welsh boy wrote:

Ok, so you try to convince everyone that the gear hanger snapped all on its own without you doing anything then you suddenly remember that you crashed because of a fault with the bile, a minor point which escaped your memory until someone pointed out this potential problem with the bikes. M, I don’t think we are getting the whole truth in the original post are we

You are actually.

The hanger did snap in the normal course of my commute home,  at the time that the hanger snapped I just put it down to experience and if the correct replacement had arrived I would never have questioned if the hanger should break or not. I came on here with this question and discovered that is is designed to be a disposable part. I accepted this and was happy that it did what it was meant to do but still unhappy that:

1. It was not replaced during a "Full Safety Check" carried out within 6 months of the recall
  2. I had to deal with numerous correspondance over more than a week to resolve the incorrect part being sent
  3. I was being accused of causing the incorrect item to be sent

Last year I came off my bike when the rear wheel slipped from under me on the commute home. I put it down to experience at the time but as I was discussing (ranting) about the service issues I had (along with the recall, it not being replaced and hangers designed to fail) and my partner reminded me that of the accident that I had. Luckily I had documented this incident at the time so it was easy to refer back to once I had been reminded of it.

Pretty much most things I put down to experience and just carry on until I have new evidence that makes me question/re-examine the issue. Just like I did with the hanger, if the correct part had come and I had not been presented with the information about the recall then I would have just carried on as normal putting it down to experience. Does everyone not do the same?

rdmp2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I also own a Pinnacle and ClubSmed is right- they are Evans in house brand. 100% owned by Evans. Designed in UK, built in far East but I would expect assembled (?) QC'd (?) in UK

Canyon48 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Unfortunately, I think you are wasting your time.

The fact Evans owns pinnacle makes very little difference in reality, they still buy pinnacle bikes in a similar fashion to how they would any other bike. The quality control is unlikely to be solely done in the UK, every so often a bike will be checked by the UK team, but it will be up to the OEM to do most the QC.

Evans cycles aren't much better than halfords, I wouldn't waste your time with them any longer.

ClubSmed replied to Canyon48 | 5 years ago
1 like

Canyon48 wrote:

Unfortunately, I think you are wasting your time. The fact Evans owns pinnacle makes very little difference in reality, they still buy pinnacle bikes in a similar fashion to how they would any other bike. The quality control is unlikely to be solely done in the UK, every so often a bike will be checked by the UK team, but it will be up to the OEM to do most the QC. Evans cycles aren't much better than halfords, I wouldn't waste your time with them any longer.

OK, lets try and clear up this whole thing about Pinnacle and Evans. I have clearly confused things by refering to  Pinnacle Bikes as a company, it isn't. Pinnacle Bikes is a brand owned by Evans Cycles.
Here are the facts:
Pinnacle was created as a bike brand by Evans
https://www.evanscycles.com/coffeestop/news/pinnacle-bikes-brand-history
There is no seperate companies house listing for Pinnacle Bikes
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/search?q=Pinnacle+Bikes
The Trademark for "Pinnacle" (relating to bikes and parts) registered with the Government Intellectual Property Office is held by Evans Cycles
https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmcase/page/Results/4/EU005256417
There is a blog post of a visit to Pinnacle Bikes detailing what they do
https://bikemagic.com/news/pinnacle-bikes-factory-visit.html

They are far from being a seperate real company, Pinnacle Bikes is just a glorified department within Evans Cycles. The Design, quality Checking, Building and Selling of these bikes are all done By Evans Cycles. They outsource the manufacture to the far east but (as it is to Evans Cycles design and Quality Checked by Evans Cycles after) the fact that they outsource this element is irrelevant. In fact there are many bike manufacturers who outsource the manufacturing to the far east, but if I had a complaint with KONA/Voodoo/Van Nicholas/Dawes/Raleigh/Specialized/Boardman/Giant/Trek/Dahon (to name a few), I would not go to the outsourced factory, I would go to KONA/Voodoo/Van Nicholas/Dawes/Raleigh/Specialized/Boardman/Giant/Trek/Dahon

rdmp2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

`i think you're being a bit unfair to Evans. They are clearly at fault for sending you the wrong replacement hanger but I don't think its reasonable to expect them to pick up on a recalled mech hanger after so long (even on their own brand bike). They did notify you of it at the time. Is a "full safety check" supposed to check every minor part against a recall list? Assuming they make money on services such checks would have to lead to price increases to cover. The failure you experienced doesn't appear to be related to the recall anyway

ClubSmed replied to rdmp2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

rdmp2 wrote:

`i think you're being a bit unfair to Evans. They are clearly at fault for sending you the wrong replacement hanger but I don't think its reasonable to expect them to pick up on a recalled mech hanger after so long (even on their own brand bike). They did notify you of it at the time. Is a "full safety check" supposed to check every minor part against a recall list? Assuming they make money on services such checks would have to lead to price increases to cover. The failure you experienced doesn't appear to be related to the recall anyway

I agree that the failure of the hanger does not seem to be related to the recall issue, it is just the catalyst that brought all of this to light. I did have an off due to wheel slip last year though and have now put connected the two things and it is currently with their insurers.

The issue with the the wrong hanger being sent is the issue that I was still trying to resolve with Evans Cycles but they were unwilling to accept that they had made any mistake and tried to shift the blame constantly throughout the dialogue back and forth. This has been going on for months and all I wanted was an apology and acknowledgement that they would look into the issue so that it did not happen again. They are unwilling to do this however.

crazy-legs | 5 years ago
0 likes

Quote:

I do however expect an Evans Cycles mechanic to know about issues on bikes that have been Designed, Quality Checked, Built and sold by Evans Cycles. Especially where Evans Cycles have identified the issue and published it in their stores.

Pinnacle are exclusive to Evans. They are not designed or built by Evans.

Every single bike sold by Evans (and indeed pretty much any bike shop) is "built" from a box (ie they come partially assembled, they are then fully assembled and PDI'd - pre-delivery inspected) so the brand of bike really has no bearing on the matter. All brands should be treated the same.

Any recall (as I mentioned before) is posted within the shop network, printed out on the wall of the workshop etc and again, the brand of bike, type of recall etc has no bearing on that. I remember dealing with a recall on some hubs - the manufacturer concerned had found that some of it's own brand hubs sold as original equipment on a certain model of bike could fail so they were issuing new wheels, asking for the old ones to be destroyed etc and we did that for a few months and then the flow of wheels stopped. It's entirely possible that some people missed that recall and were riding round on those wheels for months/years thereafter by which time the recall notice had long since been taken down, staff might have moved on, forgotten about it etc and if you took that bike into the shop a year down the line it wouldn't be noticed.

With the volume of bikes they have through each workshop, the timeframes that are being worked to, the variation in training of the staff (eg brand new mechanic / Saturday boy vs full time head mechanic) it's not entirely unreasonable for a relatively innocuous part to be missed.

ClubSmed replied to crazy-legs | 5 years ago
0 likes

crazy-legs wrote:

Quote:

I do however expect an Evans Cycles mechanic to know about issues on bikes that have been Designed, Quality Checked, Built and sold by Evans Cycles. Especially where Evans Cycles have identified the issue and published it in their stores.

Pinnacle are exclusive to Evans. They are not designed or built by Evans.

Every single bike sold by Evans (and indeed pretty much any bike shop) is "built" from a box (ie they come partially assembled, they are then fully assembled and PDI'd - pre-delivery inspected) so the brand of bike really has no bearing on the matter. All brands should be treated the same.

Any recall (as I mentioned before) is posted within the shop network, printed out on the wall of the workshop etc and again, the brand of bike, type of recall etc has no bearing on that. I remember dealing with a recall on some hubs - the manufacturer concerned had found that some of it's own brand hubs sold as original equipment on a certain model of bike could fail so they were issuing new wheels, asking for the old ones to be destroyed etc and we did that for a few months and then the flow of wheels stopped. It's entirely possible that some people missed that recall and were riding round on those wheels for months/years thereafter by which time the recall notice had long since been taken down, staff might have moved on, forgotten about it etc and if you took that bike into the shop a year down the line it wouldn't be noticed.

With the volume of bikes they have through each workshop, the timeframes that are being worked to, the variation in training of the staff (eg brand new mechanic / Saturday boy vs full time head mechanic) it's not entirely unreasonable for a relatively innocuous part to be missed.

You are incorrect when you say that "Pinnacle are exclusive to Evans. They are not designed or built by Evans" Pinnacle Bikes are owned by Evans and as such designed by Evans.

https://www.evanscycles.com/coffeestop/news/pinnacle-bikes-brand-history

Pinnacle bikes design the bikes in England, manufacture them in the far east and then quality check them back in England

https://bikemagic.com/news/pinnacle-bikes-factory-visit.html

If it was just another bike brand in any bike shop I could see your point, but as I have said before, it was an Evans Cycles Designed, Quality Checked, Built and Sold bike. So a Service in an Evans Cycles Store by an Evans Cycles Trained Mechanic carrying out a "Full Safety Check" where "even small details ... are rectified" (their words not mine) it should not cover all safety aspects, especially recall issues that Evans Cycles have identified and communicated themselves. Otherwise what they are carrying out is not a "Full Safety Check" where "even small details ... are rectified"

Or am I missing something?

ClubSmed | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advice.

I was not doing this to get compensation for the poor customer service around the hanger replacement. I just wanted the issue to be recognised and for them to look into how their process failed and to try to fix it. I have a long history in process improvement so I try to offer constructive feedback so that things can improve going forward. However in this case they do not seem interested in improving their process or customer experience, only in trying to blame the customer with implausable statements.

crazy-legs | 5 years ago
1 like

Quote:

I do believe however that I am entitled to an apology from Evans Cycles for their failure to replace the recalled item on the own brand bike whilst servicing it in store within 6 months of the recall.

You expect every single mechanic to know every single recall on every make / model of bike that comes in?

Having worked at several Evans branches (many years ago) I know that we used to have recall notices pinned up in the workshops and shops would make every effort to contact customers who had bought that item within the recall period but if someone brings a bike in 6 months later (having, by their own admission, ignored the email highlighting the recall) then it's unrealistic to expect the shop to pick it up. I would *hope* that they'd pick it up but certainly wouldn't *expect" it.

ClubSmed replied to crazy-legs | 5 years ago
1 like

crazy-legs wrote:

Quote:

I do believe however that I am entitled to an apology from Evans Cycles for their failure to replace the recalled item on the own brand bike whilst servicing it in store within 6 months of the recall.

You expect every single mechanic to know every single recall on every make / model of bike that comes in?

Having worked at several Evans branches (many years ago) I know that we used to have recall notices pinned up in the workshops and shops would make every effort to contact customers who had bought that item within the recall period but if someone brings a bike in 6 months later (having, by their own admission, ignored the email highlighting the recall) then it's unrealistic to expect the shop to pick it up. I would *hope* that they'd pick it up but certainly wouldn't *expect" it.

I was separating the Service/Recall issue from the Order/fulfillment issue, but as you brought it back up....

I do not expect them to know every single recall on every make/ model of bike.

The recall notice only asks for the nearest Evans Cycles store to be contacted so that they have the oportunity to replace the hanger. I did contact my nearest Evans Cycles store and gave them the oportunity to replace the hanger. Also, I did not ignore the email, I did not see the email in the first place.

Also as they state that the service includes a "full safety check" where "even small details ... are rectified" why would I not expect a safety recall that Evans Cycles identified be resolved? If they claimed a "basic safety check" then I could understand, this is not what they claim however.

Bluebug | 5 years ago
0 likes

Just a tip - I've found companies will not apologise as that would mean admitting liabilty unless you threaten to take further action against them.

This means you either have to take them to an ombudsman if they have one which isn't completely useless, or threaten to take them to the small claims court using the correct law which was enforce when you purchased the bike. 

You do have to notify them first that you are doing either of these actions giving them a timeframe of around 28 days, and instead of using email use a recorded/registered mail letter sent to their head office. The letter needs to have this proof of posting and delivery otherwise the business will deny receiving it. Plus  it makes it more difficult  for you if you do take them to court as civil cases are ruled on the balance of probabilities.

If however you aren't interested in taking further action against Evans Cycles as you don't want compensation then you need to drop it as you won't get anywhere.

hennahairgel | 5 years ago
1 like

If they've stopped talking to you, you can make them. Make a Subject Access request (https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/personal-information/)

It's a wonderful and overlooked bit of the law. Essentially any organisation is required to give you anything stored electronically related to you. I first discovered about it thanks to Mark Thomas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM36lEoPTU0

I used it when my car was stolen. The insurer offered £18k, I made a Subject Access request and subsequently received 2 inches of paperwork, 5 CDs of phone calls and an offer of £24.5k

davel replied to hennahairgel | 5 years ago
1 like

hennahairgel wrote:

If they've stopped talking to you, you can make them. Make a Subject Access request (https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/personal-information/)

It's a wonderful and overlooked bit of the law. Essentially any organisation is required to give you anything stored electronically related to you. I first discovered about it thanks to Mark Thomas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM36lEoPTU0

If you like that, you'll love the GDPR: comes into force in a couple of weeks. Expands subject rights (existing under the DPA) to delete and port data, cease processing it, and others.

(Also technically, it's anything stored, not only electronically).

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

@ClubSmed - thanks for the update. I, for one, will be keeping my distance from Evans if they treat customers like that.

ClubSmed | 5 years ago
0 likes

Update 2

Evans Cycles have said that they are not interested in looking into how I was supplied with incorrect stock from over 6 years ago and are only interested in giving me a "gesture of goodwill" to close the matter.

Here is a brief history of the hanger in question:

• 2012 - Evans Cycles changes the design/shape of the Arkose hanger part number BGRD-4. The old style becomes BGRD-1 and the new style is the new BGRD-4
  • 2015 - Evans Cycles issues a recall on the BGRD-4 and replaces them with the BGRD-4. (with the full stop)
  • 2018 - I order the BGRD-4 from the Evans Cycles website but instead receive an original BGRD-4 (new BGRD-1) that was retired as the BGRD-4 in 2012 (complete with the old style pinnacle logo)

Here is what happened after the complaint was escalated:

Evans Cycles Customer Relations Executive initially blamed me for ordering the wrong part

I referred them back to me web order history that showed that I did not and asked that the look in to the process so that this did not happen again

Evans Cycles Customer Relations Executive then blamed the website for having the wrong image as the page had not had the image updated since the model was updated (?)

I pointed out that this could only have been a feasible explanation if I had wanted the old model and accidentally ordered the new one. Either way, I referred them to the internet archive to show that the image on the site was the same previously as it is now, which is an image of the item I needed and ordered.

Evans Cycles Customer Relations Executive then stated that the information they had was correct (despite all evidence to the contrary) and that they would not engage in any further communication to try and resolve issues with their ordering and fulfilment processes.

ClubSmed | 5 years ago
0 likes

Update

Evans Cycles responded to my complaint recognising that an alert of recall issues could be a good element to put in the process going forward and offering me a gesture of goodwill.

However,

They also accused me of ordering the wrong part which sparked all the off to begin with. This is clearly not the case as can be seen in my order history but they have been unwilling to recognise this or apologise.

As a result I was ranting about this last night to my other half who reminded me that I did have a wheel slip issue last year which resulted in me coming off and has left me with scaring at the top of my right thigh. So what could have easily have just been resolved by not trying to accuse me of ordering the wrong part or a following apology from them may have to resort in me taking further action.

ClubSmed | 5 years ago
0 likes

First let me deal with the suggestion that it is not Evans Cycles responsibility.

• Pinnacle Bikes were created by, and are owned by Evans Cycles
  • Pinnacle Bikes design and quality check all of their bikes in England
  • They are manufactured in the far east, but as they are manufactured to Pinnacles designs that does not matter.

So Evans Cycles designed, quality tested, built, sold and serviced the bike. They may not have manufactured the bike but as they outsourced this using their design specifications they still hold liability.

On the matter of trying to reclaim transport costs. This is not to do with the failure of the hanger, but the error in sending me the incorrect hanger and taking weeks to resolve this issue. If I had recieved the hanger that I ordered in the first place then I would never had to commute by train.

On the issue that hangers fail, that is what they are supposed to do. If this is the case then fine, I did not know this and it's why I asked the question here. When the hanger broke I initially thought that it was something that happens so I need to get on and fix it. It was only after the wrong hanger being sent and the following poor customer service that I discovered the hanger recall issue. After finding this out I was very disapointed that Evans Cycles did not replace it during a service and that no appology was ever offered. I wasn't even offered a refund for the hanger that I bought, I had to request that. All in all I am very dissapointed with their service, you really get the true sense of people/companies when things go wrong.

If I had got any other make of bike and they had missed it in the service I could understand it. I would not expect that if I took a mazda car to a citroen dealer that they would know about any recall issues. This was an Evans designed, quality checked, built, sold and serviced bike though so I would expect the same level of service as I would taking a citroen car to a citroen dealer for a service.

Canyon48 replied to ClubSmed | 5 years ago
0 likes

ClubSmed wrote:

First let me deal with the suggestion that it is not Evans Cycles responsibility.

• Pinnacle Bikes were created by, and are owned by Evans Cycles
  • Pinnacle Bikes design and quality check all of their bikes in England
  • They are manufactured in the far east, but as they are manufactured to Pinnacles designs that does not matter.

So Evans Cycles designed, quality tested, built, sold and serviced the bike. They may not have manufactured the bike but as they outsourced this using their design specifications they still hold liability.

On the matter of trying to reclaim transport costs. This is not to do with the failure of the hanger, but the error in sending me the incorrect hanger and taking weeks to resolve this issue. If I had recieved the hanger that I ordered in the first place then I would never had to commute by train.

On the issue that hangers fail, that is what they are supposed to do. If this is the case then fine, I did not know this and it's why I asked the question here. When the hanger broke I initially thought that it was something that happens so I need to get on and fix it. It was only after the wrong hanger being sent and the following poor customer service that I discovered the hanger recall issue. After finding this out I was very disapointed that Evans Cycles did not replace it during a service and that no appology was ever offered. I wasn't even offered a refund for the hanger that I bought, I had to request that. All in all I am very dissapointed with their service, you really get the true sense of people/companies when things go wrong.

If I had got any other make of bike and they had missed it in the service I could understand it. I would not expect that if I took a mazda car to a citroen dealer that they would know about any recall issues. This was an Evans designed, quality checked, built, sold and serviced bike though so I would expect the same level of service as I would taking a citroen car to a citroen dealer for a service.

I never realised Pinnacle bikes are actually designed in the UK! Learn something new every day. I have no idea how Evans Cycles and/or Pinnacle Bikes is structured, so there may be a question mark of who has liability (I stress the may).

Strangely, I haven't been able to find the ISO certification for Evans Cycles or Pinnacle Bikes, I'm clearly not looking hard enough!

Agreed that is quite disappointing that Evans didn't spot the recalled hanger and didn't even offer a refund for the wrong hanger. I've had issues with Evans before, incorrectly described parts etc, etc.

I think you'll REALLY struggle to reclaim travel costs due to naff customer service, unfortunately.

I don't think the analogy for the car servicing exactly holds true, but I understand what you're getting at!

To me, this would certainly be a suggestion to find another (better) bike shop!

0 likes

Canyon48 wrote:

I never realised Pinnacle bikes are actually designed in the UK! Learn something new every day. I have no idea how Evans Cycles and/or Pinnacle Bikes is structured, so there may be a question mark of who has liability (I stress the may).

I thought that I read it somewhere and found this https://bikemagic.com/news/pinnacle-bikes-factory-visit.html

Canyon48 wrote:

I think you'll REALLY struggle to reclaim travel costs due to naff customer service, unfortunately.

I know that, I am not really expecting anything for the travel, I am just trying to make myself as much as a pain to them as their poor customer service was to me.

Canyon48 wrote:

Unfortunately the cycle to work scheme that my employer runs is through Evans Cycles so it would cost me a lot more to go elsewhere

0 likes

Canyon48 wrote:

I thought that I read it somewhere and found this https://bikemagic.com/news/pinnacle-bikes-factory-visit.html

Canyon48 wrote:

I know that, I am not really expecting anything for the travel, I am just trying to make myself as much as a pain to them as their poor customer service was to me.

Canyon48 wrote:

Unfortunately the cycle to work scheme that my employer runs is through Evans Cycles so it would cost me a lot more to go elsewhere

Rich_cb | 5 years ago
0 likes

I think the Consumer Rights Act applies here.

The onus is on the retailer not the manufacturer and you can claim for a faulty product up to 6 years after purchase.

From the Which website:

"Your rights against the retailer can last for up to six years, but after the first six months the onus is on you to prove a fault was present at the time you took ownership of the goods."

In your case this could be quite easy as the product has been the subject of a safety recall.

More info:
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-...

Canyon48 replied to Rich_cb | 5 years ago
0 likes

Rich_cb wrote:

I think the Consumer Rights Act applies here. The onus is on the retailer not the manufacturer and you can claim for a faulty product up to 6 years after purchase. From the Which website: "Your rights against the retailer can last for up to six years, but after the first six months the onus is on you to prove a fault was present at the time you took ownership of the goods." In your case this could be quite easy as the product has been the subject of a safety recall. More info: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-...

That would only apply to replacement of the mech hanger because of the recall.

The mech OP had performed as it should, by failing. So neither the OEM or distributor is liable to pay costs for damage from that, or subsequent transport fares.

Rich_cb replied to Canyon48 | 5 years ago
0 likes
Canyon48 wrote:

The mech OP had performed as it should, by failing. So neither the OEM or distributor is liable to pay costs for damage from that, or subsequent transport fares.

I'm not sure a hanger is supposed to fail arbitrarily.

If part of the product fails damaging another part in the process I would have thought that would be covered under the act.

If the power cable for your iPad was faulty and blew up said iPad I think you'd be a bit annoyed if they just sent a replacement power cable.

Transport fares might be a bit of a stretch.

Canyon48 replied to Rich_cb | 5 years ago
1 like

Rich_cb wrote:
Canyon48 wrote:

I'm not sure a hanger is supposed to fail arbitrarily. If part of the product fails damaging another part in the process I would have thought that would be covered under the act. If the power cable for your iPad was faulty and blew up said iPad I think you'd be a bit annoyed if they just sent a replacement power cable. Transport fares might be a bit of a stretch.

Mech hangers are designed as sacrificial components, they fail in order to prevent damage to the frame. Damage from a mech hanger failing is really bad luck.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/blog/gear-hangers-break/

Rich_cb replied to Canyon48 | 5 years ago
0 likes
Canyon48 wrote:

Mech hangers are designed as sacrificial components, they fail in order to prevent damage to the frame. Damage from a mech hanger failing is really bad luck.

Well I didn't know they could break from poor gear selection, you learn something every day!

I still think that if there was a known fault with that component and it failed causing damage then you'd have a case under the Consumer Rights Act.

The Gavalier replied to Rich_cb | 5 years ago
1 like

Rich_cb wrote:
Canyon48 wrote:

Well I didn't know they could break from poor gear selection, you learn something every day! I still think that if there was a known fault with that component and it failed causing damage then you'd have a case under the Consumer Rights Act.

As Canyon48 said though, the recall was nothing to do with the hangers failing, it was to do with potential wheel slippage in the dropout. If his wheel had come out then yes, there’s a claim to be made, but a hanger breaking (at the point they’re designed to) has nothing to do with the purpose of the recall. 

ClubSmed replied to The Gavalier | 5 years ago
0 likes

The Gavalier wrote:

Rich_cb wrote:
Canyon48 wrote:

Well I didn't know they could break from poor gear selection, you learn something every day! I still think that if there was a known fault with that component and it failed causing damage then you'd have a case under the Consumer Rights Act.

As Canyon48 said though, the recall was nothing to do with the hangers failing, it was to do with potential wheel slippage in the dropout. If his wheel had come out then yes, there’s a claim to be made, but a hanger breaking (at the point they’re designed to) has nothing to do with the purpose of the recall. 

The hanger may have failed in exactly the way it is supposed to so I may not be entitled to any compensation for damage resulting from this.

The hanger may not have failed in the way that the recall was enacted for, but their lack of "full safety check" left me riding on a potentially dangerous bike for 2 years.

As I have not yet had any apology, just them trying to blame me, I am going to annoy them with a claim until something happens

Canyon48 replied to ClubSmed | 5 years ago
0 likes

ClubSmed wrote:

The Gavalier wrote:

Rich_cb wrote:
Canyon48 wrote:

As I have not yet had any apology, just them trying to blame me, I am going to annoy them with a claim until something happens

Also saw you mentioned that you have to go through Evans because of C2W.

Fully with you now, really seems like you've had the rubbish end of the stick and Evans customer service has been woeful (funnily enough, my experience has been similar).

I trust you've left a review on google?

Twitter is often a fairly good place to try and get some sort of a response from rubbish customer service.

Pages

Latest Comments