Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Need help with first carbon bike

Hi guys,

Been lurking for a year while learning the ropes on my alloy btwin 105. Had a great year improving on my weekly club rides and a decent year at work so want to "invest" and upgrade to a nice carbon machine. I'm 35, 5,10, 80kg and getting fitter every week. Due to my weight and my lack of skill descending I want discs and I can't really see past the value of Canyon. 

In looking at;

2018 Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0, full new ultegra, dt swiss wheels 7.5kg £2600

2017 Ultimate CF SL Disc 9.0 Aero, older Ultegra, Mavic Cosmic Pro carbon aero wheels, carbon cockpit 7.9kg discounted to £2760

The 2018 I can get is cheaper, I can get in stage race blue which I love and reviews are that is pretty much faultless. 

The 2017 has the carbon deep rims wheels and the aero cockpit which are worth the best part of £1000, they will probably make me go about zero mph faster but look very cool in my opinion, I can only get in stealth which is quite batman look but not first choice. I am also acutely aware of looking like a total knob if I get dropped while sporting deep rims. Really can't decide and am stuck!

I did also try to support my lbs and he is trying to sell me the Bianchi Aria Disc aero bike which is very cool but half a kilo heavier and really cheap wheels, I also think you really need to want a bianchi to pay that sort of money for them. 

Please help me with your experienced opinions!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

41 comments

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

As for the Bianchi, looks stunning also has R8000, aero racey frame... Wheels however, very meh and not suited to the rest of the bike (need some deep wheels for that!).

Style over substance maybe?

deano802 replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

wellsprop wrote:

As for the Bianchi, looks stunning also has R8000, aero racey frame... Wheels however, very meh and not suited to the rest of the bike (need some deep wheels for that!).

Style over substance maybe?

I tried it on the turbo trainer in the store, and they want to give me one for a week to test. Looks amazing, it def looks like it has flair rather than a finely tuned and engineered machine. I think its like buying an Alfa Romeo, you always know the BMW is a better car but you still want one.

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hi Deano,

Like you, I made my first foray into the carbon bicycle world this year. I got myself a 2017 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Disc 8.0 (the one with full Ultegra and Mavic Cosmics) and subsequently upgraded to Ultegra R8000.

I absolutely love it to bits, the only thing that could be improved is the wheel weight, the Cosmics are a bit porky compared to DT Swiss offerings.

Here's my take, Ultegra R8000 is noticeably nicer than Ultegra 6800 and RS685's, If you aren't too worried about having sexy deep section wheels, then losing a bit of wheel weight by choosing the DT Swiss option would be great. I really really like the integrated bar and stem too, looks awesome and is forgiving on the hands (but totally unadjustable).

This is a really tough call, Id certainly have the R8000 over 6800/RS685 but I'd choose the integrated carbon cockpit over the conventional one.

Wheel's, I'd choose aero (but that's because I use my Canyon solely for fast rides smashing the hell out of myself - 20mph+ for 1-2 hours on mixed terrain). If I were choosing wheels to use on a slightly more relaxed, more versatile setup, I'd chose the DT Swiss wheels no question (as I have done on my winter/commute bike).

The 2018 model has more upgrade potential (wheels and cockpit), the 2017 model could do with R8000.

If you want an absolute all-out race type machine, go for the 2017 and stick R8000 on it. If you want something a little bit lighter and a little more versatile, it'd easily have to be the 2018 model.

EDIT: Also forgot to say that the Mavic tyres that come with the deep section cosmics are rubbish - I replaced them with Conti GP 4000's right away - the DT Swiss wheeled Canyon already comes with Conti GP 4000's.

0 likes

wellsprop wrote:

Hi Deano,

Like you, I made my first foray into the carbon bicycle world this year. I got myself a 2017 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Disc 8.0 (the one with full Ultegra and Mavic Cosmics) and subsequently upgraded to Ultegra R8000.

I absolutely love it to bits, the only thing that could be improved is the wheel weight, the Cosmics are a bit porky compared to DT Swiss offerings.

Here's my take, Ultegra R8000 is noticeably nicer than Ultegra 6800 and RS685's, If you aren't too worried about having sexy deep section wheels, then losing a bit of wheel weight by choosing the DT Swiss option would be great. I really really like the integrated bar and stem too, looks awesome and is forgiving on the hands (but totally unadjustable).

This is a really tough call, Id certainly have the R8000 over 6800/RS685 but I'd choose the integrated carbon cockpit over the conventional one.

Wheel's, I'd choose aero (but that's because I use my Canyon solely for fast rides smashing the hell out of myself - 20mph+ for 1-2 hours on mixed terrain). If I were choosing wheels to use on a slightly more relaxed, more versatile setup, I'd chose the DT Swiss wheels no question (as I have done on my winter/commute bike).

The 2018 model has more upgrade potential (wheels and cockpit), the 2017 model could do with R8000.

If you want an absolute all-out race type machine, go for the 2017 and stick R8000 on it. If you want something a little bit lighter and a little more versatile, it'd easily have to be the 2018 model.

EDIT: Also forgot to say that the Mavic tyres that come with the deep section cosmics are rubbish - I replaced them with Conti GP 4000's right away - the DT Swiss wheeled Canyon already comes with Conti GP 4000's.

Thanks wellsprop,

when you say R8000 is noticiably different, is this in the shifting, braking or both? currently running 105 and shifting is fine, my tektro rim brakes are poor, even 6800 would be a big jump and I could upgrade later when i go to DI2. If i go with the aero as really it is better monetry value I could buy a set of training/climbing wheels. I will be using the bike as an all rounder for joining the faster groups in my club runs, doing climbing abroad once a year, but I do have some distant pipedream of doing some TT'ing. I can't get the stage race blue out my head though, if it was stealth it would be a no brainer for the aero unless the R8000 is worth more performance wise than the aero details.  102  102  102

Canyon48 replied to deano802 | 6 years ago
0 likes

deano802 wrote:

wellsprop wrote:

Hi Deano,

Thanks wellsprop,

when you say R8000 is noticiably different, is this in the shifting, braking or both? currently running 105 and shifting is fine, my tektro rim brakes are poor, even 6800 would be a big jump and I could upgrade later when i go to DI2. If i go with the aero as really it is better monetry value I could buy a set of training/climbing wheels. I will be using the bike as an all rounder for joining the faster groups in my club runs, doing climbing abroad once a year, but I do have some distant pipedream of doing some TT'ing. I can't get the stage race blue out my head though, if it was stealth it would be a no brainer for the aero unless the R8000 is worth more performance wise than the aero details.  102  102  102

No worries,

The shifting on the front mech is noticeably nicer with the new front derailleur (and much easier to setup). The rear mech shifting feels a little crisper than RS685 (which shifts nearly as well as 105 mechanical), so the shifting of the hydraulic R8000 feels a good if not slightly sharper than 105 mechanical. In terms of performance, aero wheels give you a speed advantage over shallower wheels whilst R8000 will give you an ergonomic advantage over 6800/RS685 (I think R8000 is about 150 grams lighter though).

I didn't notice any difference in the feel of braking between RS685 and R8000 (I actually put smaller 140mm rotors on my Canyon when I switched to R8000 as I weigh 67kg, so don't need all the extra power) - even the 140mm hydros are way better than the 105 mechanical rims ive been used to!

With regards to crosswinds, I often cycle out on the Somerset levels and across the Old Severn Bridge to Wales, I've cycled in 15mph xwinds and had no real issues. I do notice that the front end is always a bit skittish - but very controllable once I got used to the front end occasionally dancing a small amount side to side (easily manageable even when I've been group riding).

If you are planning to go to Di2 in the future, I'd suggest buying the aero with 6800 and buying yourself a set of light shallow/mid wheels. Then, when you decide to go to Di2, splashing out on R8000 Di2. That way, you have total versatility with two sets of wheels and the added benefit of the aero cockpit!

The aero also comes in Stage Race Blue, does it not? I went with Gran Tourismo Blue on my CF SLX and I'm glad I did, looks sweet in the flesh!

0 likes

wellsprop wrote:

deano802 wrote:

wellsprop wrote:

Hi Deano,

Thanks wellsprop,

No worries,

The shifting on the front mech is noticeably nicer with the new front derailleur (and much easier to setup). The rear mech shifting feels a little crisper than RS685 (which shifts nearly as well as 105 mechanical), so the shifting of the hydraulic R8000 feels a good if not slightly sharper than 105 mechanical. In terms of performance, aero wheels give you a speed advantage over shallower wheels whilst R8000 will give you an ergonomic advantage over 6800/RS685 (I think R8000 is about 150 grams lighter though).

I didn't notice any difference in the feel of braking between RS685 and R8000 (I actually put smaller 140mm rotors on my Canyon when I switched to R8000 as I weigh 67kg, so don't need all the extra power) - even the 140mm hydros are way better than the 105 mechanical rims ive been used to!

With regards to crosswinds, I often cycle out on the Somerset levels and across the Old Severn Bridge to Wales, I've cycled in 15mph xwinds and had no real issues. I do notice that the front end is always a bit skittish - but very controllable once I got used to the front end occasionally dancing a small amount side to side (easily manageable even when I've been group riding).

If you are planning to go to Di2 in the future, I'd suggest buying the aero with 6800 and buying yourself a set of light shallow/mid wheels. Then, when you decide to go to Di2, splashing out on R8000 Di2. That way, you have total versatility with two sets of wheels and the added benefit of the aero cockpit!

The aero also comes in Stage Race Blue, does it not? I went with Gran Tourismo Blue on my CF SLX and I'm glad I did, looks sweet in the flesh!

Yeah I agree the aero is the way to go I think, as I am looking at 2017 model which is discounted in their outlet they only have the stealth, the blue is nicer but  I can live with it. 

Canyon48 replied to deano802 | 6 years ago
0 likes

deano802 wrote:

Yeah I agree the aero is the way to go I think, as I am looking at 2017 model which is discounted in their outlet they only have the stealth, the blue is nicer but  I can live with it. 

Ah, that's a bit of a pain! Good discount though smiley

deano802 | 6 years ago
0 likes

2018 Bianchi Aria 

Kadenz replied to deano802 | 6 years ago
0 likes

deano802 wrote:

2018 Bianchi Aria 

hello deano,

I don’t know the answer to your question, but I imagine it will depend on whether you are looking for a race bike for speed above all else, or are looking for an endurance/sportive bike that provides speed with comfort over long distances. 

deano802 | 6 years ago
0 likes

2017 CF SL 9.0 Aero 

deano802 | 6 years ago
0 likes

2018 CF SL 8.0

Pages

Latest Comments