Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Seat post clamp snapped, replacements? Ribble R872

I’ve just taken delivery of my first carbon bike a Ribble R872.  On tightening the seat clamp for the first time, the clamp snapped (I was no where near the max torque).

Ribble are out of stock, it is a double clamp with 27.2 at the top for the seat post and 31.8 at the bottom to go round the seat tube.

My question is- do I need a double? Would a single 31.8 do?  My other question is, wouldn’t  27.2 seatpost fit into a 28.6 tube?

I’m a little confused and also a little apprehensive about damaging the frame. 

Thanks 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Supers79 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thank so  turnerjohn 

I have contacted Ribble who have despatched a new clamp. They have told me the top clamp around the seat post is  an o-ring to stop water ingress (only tightened to 2Nm )which I infer as, stick a single on and get out and enjoy your new bike this weekend! 

turnerjohn | 6 years ago
0 likes

Contact Ribble ...no clamp should break like that...wouldn't expect much more than 5Nm which isn't a lot !

sounds like it's a double clamp type - one clamps the seat post the other half the frame so running different (single type) could invalidate your warranty . 

Pin therory yes a 27.2mm could fit in a 28.6mm but depends on the frame make up and dimensions....they're not all the same.

definately contact Ribble first 

Latest Comments