Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

e-Bike on a club ride?

Due to back surgery 3 years ago, I've basically had to start from scratch fitness-wise on the bike this year. I've ridden just under 2000 miles since January and am gradually getting back up to speed, but it's taking a lot of time and effort and I've still got a long way to go.

I'm planning to move back to Cornwall after many years of living away in the London area. I hoped that joining a local cycling would be a good way to form new friendships with like-minded people. Unfortunately, I simply can't keep up on the club rides and feel bad for holding everyone up.  This past Sunday, I was dropped within 5 miles. I've had this experience with both local clubs that I'd like to join (one of which I was last a member of 30 years ago!)

How would you guys react to someone turning up to a club ride on an e-bike? I'd just like to be able to get to the cafe stop and enjoy the banter, but I'm not sure on the etiquette and how others would react? I'm not actually going to do this - I've already conceded that I need another 3-6 months solo training before I attempt to go out with the group again - just thought it might be an interesting discussion point.

Thoughts?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

Canyon48 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've done most of my club riding with my universities cycle club - I rode with the fast guys who also raced (not a racer myself) but I could keep up just fine on the 18-20mph average rides.

We did a few older guys who rode occasionally, unfortunately, most were put off by the fact we were all much younger and fitter.

We would have welcomed anyone on an ebike - the more people enjoying club rides the better.

simonmb | 7 years ago
1 like

I think it depends on the rider's ethics and honesty in riding. My experience of good club rides (everywhere) is that they're pretty steady, group splits but reforms, splits again but no one gets dropped. So, everyone rides to their chosen limit in the knowledge that (after a time) we regroup. But there's always a point when heads go down, arses go up, and it turns in to a smash-fest for those who want to get to the town sign first. I'd be pretty pissed if Mr E-bike passed me - or even rode alongside me - during this. I would happily welcome an e-bike, but it would have to be ridden respectfully. 

fenix | 7 years ago
3 likes

Can't see the problem really unless you use your power for evil and smash everyone on the climbs.

HalfWheeler | 7 years ago
2 likes

It's happening in our club right now. To be frank we were all relieved when the chap turned up on an Ebike. Lovely fella, well liked guy but he could never keep up (even on Sunday club runs to the cafe) and as he's in his mid 60s he wasn't going to get any quicker.

Sounds like your unfitness is temporary though. An awful lot of money to shell out just for a year or so.

Rapha Nadal | 7 years ago
1 like

Get yourself a turbo and get training - within your limits though, obviously, if you're coming back as a recovery!

Doesn't the group have more than one ride going out?  We often have 3 groups on a Saturday to cater for all - fast, medium, and really social dependant on what you want to do.  That way, we can cater for all.

T44ISKN | 7 years ago
1 like

I'm actually already a member of the CTC, mainly for the 3rd party liability insurance.

. . | 7 years ago
2 likes

The other half had an ebike, but I found riding with her most unsatisfactory.   She'd ride up hills at 15mph, and down them at 15mph.

Try joining your local CTC (Cycling UK) club rides instead.  They won't leave anyone behind.  You can go on a few trial rides with them without being a member.

T44ISKN | 7 years ago
0 likes

How fast? Depends which route they take. I'm finding Cornwall is so much hillier than the Home Counties. I'm fine on flat or rolling terrain. It's the hills that give me problems. Losing a few pounds would no doubt make a difference!

Leviathan | 7 years ago
0 likes

How fast is your club run? 

dottigirl | 7 years ago
0 likes

Even in smaller areas, there's probably more than one cycling club. It's worth a check on the BC club finder, though many of the smaller ones don't associate. Also, ask your local pub and LBS if they know of any 'mature' or learner groups. I'm pretty certain you can find a like-minded (and like-speeded) group to go with.

Or, you can contact your existing club and ask for them to ask if there's any interest in a slower ride. You'd be surprised how many lurking members who have the same issue come out of the woodwork. I've found for many clubs, adding in a social-pace club run is invaluable for getting people onto their bikes and eventually some move on to the quicker run.

The _Kaner | 7 years ago
0 likes

You'd be welcome over here on my club run, but they're would be a lot of sneering...local word for banter...which ranges from how bright/length of socks, how "Well fitted" your kit is, how well/badly your last race results went...we're all of a more mature vintage, but that makes for more piss taking...

Johnnyvee | 7 years ago
1 like

Why not try another club that's more inclusive and won't act like a bunch of silly buggers?

Roadie_john replied to Johnnyvee | 7 years ago
1 like

Johnnyvee wrote:

Why not try another club that's more inclusive and won't act like a bunch of silly buggers?

Yup - can't agree more with this.

However, it may be that they don't realise the numbers of people who want to ride in company. Try talking to club members via facebook, say you want to get out for some rides, say how far and how fast and see what comes up. We realised via facebook how many people out there wanted to ride with a club but were afraid of  getting dropped, and catered for them, running shorter and slower runs. Some of them are now among the stronger riders or are more involved in organising things, the membership has pretty much tripled and the male:female ratio is much healthier (about 3:1 rather than about 15:0), so it's been a good thing all round. Still a way to go, but the club is much healthier for it...

T44ISKN | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks to those who have commented so far. Like I said, I'm not actually going to buy an e-Bike. I looked into the price of a Vivax Assist motor yesterday and they're £2000+ to fit to an existing bike. It seems a shame that I'm going to have to spend 3-6 months more riding on my own before I can keep up with the club. Don't  get me wrong - I'm not complaining - it is what it is. Just thought it would be a fun discussion...

jollygoodvelo replied to T44ISKN | 7 years ago
0 likes

T44ISKN wrote:

Thanks to those who have commented so far. Like I said, I'm not actually going to buy an e-Bike. I looked into the price of a Vivax Assist motor yesterday and they're £2000+ to fit to an existing bike. It seems a shame that I'm going to have to spend 3-6 months more riding on my own before I can keep up with the club. Don't  get me wrong - I'm not complaining - it is what it is. Just thought it would be a fun discussion...

I'm not a member of a club but I would have thought the 'right' club would be happy to have you along and enjoying 'being on a bike' at whatever level you're capable of.

The Vivax system is expensive - and relatively low-capacity! - but there was a review on Road's sister site recently of a 'kit' that can be fitted to many bikes that is much better value (though less subtle) - http://ebiketips.co.uk/content/advice/features/how-easy-is-it-to-convert... ; I've been  seriously considering fitting one to my MTB for those days I can't be bothered to get sweaty but I want to get out and about.

Alessandro | 7 years ago
4 likes

Personally, I'd rather see people getting on bikes regardless of whether they're powered entirely by legs or with slight motorised assistance and, given your circumstances, I'd be surprised if anyone begrudged you opting for the latter. 

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, would anyone here see a difference between a rider flying up a hills on a high-end carbon bike versus a relative struggle on a 30 year old steel number? I appreciate that it's not directly comparable but the lighter bike would require less power, similar to the ebike. 

peted76 | 7 years ago
1 like

I think it's perfectly acceptable, but be prepared for some banter if you drop eveyone on the last mile in  1

Mungecrundle | 7 years ago
1 like

Our club ride is 2 hours with groups of different speeds doing a similar route with extensions for the faster groups, that way we all get a decent ride at a pace to suit, may see each other on the way round and all get back at the same time for cake and bitching.

eBikes are welcome, we have at least 1 that I know of.

A club ride is not a competitive event, well except maybe in the fast group. With our club I would suggest riding with a slower group if you are able rather than go straight to mechanical assistance. The chap who uses one has a pacemaker, his heart simply cannot work harder for going up hills.

alansmurphy | 7 years ago
2 likes

My 'club' wouldn't let anyone suffer - we all have good and bad days and will see different people forming a lead and rear group with newbies, oldies or the odd recovery sharing the back. We sometimes stagger a start, have an organised section where people can put in an effort and then wait (maybe just before a stop), or split the route a little. I'd be really upset if i thought we were leaving someone to fell like an inconvenience, especially as 2k is a significant effort in recovery.

I'd be tempted to change group before bike. In answer to your question though, would be happy to see an e-bike though there is something about them that annoys me somewhat. Wouldn't mind someone having a 'handicap' as such like in golf but may be a bit miffed if all my sweaty efforts up a 10k ramp were peed all over by someone getting a free 15kmh boost  1

JohnnyEnglish | 7 years ago
2 likes

If you ride with an e-bike it may take significantly longer before you are fit enough to keep up on a normal bike.

PRSboy | 7 years ago
4 likes

Personally, I'd be pleased to see someone on an eBike, particularly in your position getting back into it.  Its not a competitive event after all!

Plus I could sit behind you in the headwind sections...yes

Latest Comments