Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Creaking BCD...

I've been riding my winter bike for the last couple of weeks, and there's a creaking noise on virtually every peddle stroke; which I'm 90% sure is coming from the chainset.

It's an 2012 model bike with Tiagra (so 4600 I think), the chainset has 5 bolts attaching the small ring to the chainset.  I had a go at tightening them, and realised that the bit at the back that the bolt screws into is just turning when I apply any force to the bolt.  The back part has a couple of indentations in it, looking like it's designed for a very large (probably about 12-13 mm across) flat screwdriver.

I don't have a flat screwdriver that large, and it would seem to me the leverage from an alan key is considerably higher than that which can be applied to a screwdriver in an attempt to keep the fixing stationary.

Anyone have any hints on how to tighten the chainset bolts on the previous iteration of Tiagra?

Cheers,

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

andsaw | 7 years ago
0 likes

Try cleaning your seatpost and clamp and just inside the frame and then put a spot of grease on the post if its ally, nothing if its carbon unless you got some carbon paste lying around, and check the saddle rails clean and grease and or spot of oil on the rail entry points, also clean the handlebar clamp and put a spot of grease there as well, try checking your pedals as well, leave your BB until the last and even try removing and giving all faces a good clean and finish with a spot of grease on the faces, its a process of elinination.

sergius | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all,

I ended up spending a fortune on Wiggle last month for various reasons, when I get paid again and have enough things to pickup to qualify for free shipping I'll get one of the tools (£3 for the Shimano version on Wiggle) and have a go at it.

Unfortunately my wife doesn't differentiate between anything other than "bike time", so it's my riding time that gets eaten into whenever I do any maintenance.  Now I just need to weigh up the annoyance of creaks vs. missing out on riding time!

mike the bike replied to sergius | 7 years ago
1 like

sergius wrote:

Thanks all,

I ended up spending a fortune on Wiggle last month for various reasons, when I get paid again and have enough things to pickup to qualify for free shipping I'll get one of the tools (£3 for the Shimano version on Wiggle) and have a go at it.

Unfortunately my wife doesn't differentiate between anything other than "bike time", so it's my riding time that gets eaten into whenever I do any maintenance.  Now I just need to weigh up the annoyance of creaks vs. missing out on riding time!

Have you considered trading it in and getting a new one?  That's the wife, not the bike.

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
3 likes

I strongly recommend not using super glue on any bicycle bolts.

madcarew | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have the same crankset and had the same problem with it. There are 3 options:

1. Go to your LBS and borrow their tool, or buy one of the tools (they're not expensive)
  2. Get that large flat blade screwdriver, or file down a coin or washer to fit across the indentations. It doesn't take much to stop it moving.
  3. remove the bolts completely, clean carefull behind the inside portion and then put a couple drops of super glue in there so it gets held firmly in the seat when you do the front part up.

In my case it was a couple  of the bolts that were loose, and option 2 solved the problem.

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
1 like

Self loosening crank bolts are fairly rare. Once you start fiddling with them or changing chainrings though...

As per advice above: check qr & levers are tight and fully locked, ideally take them off and give them a lube. This is a really common cause of noise which is seemingly coming from the bottom bracket/chainset area.
Check seatpost is lightly greased along the whole inserted section.
Check your bottom bracket is running true. Grab the cranks and give them a wrestle from side to side across the axis of the bike. There should be no play whatsoever.
If you can unship the chain check the rotation of the cranks for free running ie no unusual noise or grinding feel. You can do the with the chain on, but it harder to tell.
Clean and lube all pedal interfaces including greasing the pedal threads and torquing up to manufacturer recommended tightness.

If it's still creaking after you've done these, let us know.

dottigirl | 7 years ago
1 like

Try a spritz of GT85 around the bolts - if that helps, it could be the bolts. If it doesn't, try spraying the pedals. Oh, and check your seat post is well greased - sometimes you think it's the crankset when it's not.

Butty | 7 years ago
0 likes

So it's  an allen key at the front and a slotted nut at the back?

In those circumstances I've just used a dinner knife form teh kitchen draw. The blunt thin blade works perfectly.

Its just to stop the nut from turning when using an allen key.

rnick | 7 years ago
1 like

For what it's worth, just check the front rear quick release mounts and apply a dab of grease. ..... This solved my creaky bb noise, after I'd pulled it apart  1

ktache | 7 years ago
0 likes

Park do the CNW2, similar to the BBB tool, managed to misplace it when I really needed it, got a screwdriver type one from Evans, I think, similar to the Icetools one, Evans now do the FWE one which does look even better.  There are some advantages to the screwdriver type, and it is never an easy job, the extra distance your fingers get from the pointy chainrings is good.

If you run a triple it's almost guaranteed the bolt will be behind a tooth of the granny.

My XTR M970 uses floaty light Torx T30 bolts, so I need 2 tools for the outer bolts.  And from personal experience I know the inner bolts love to crossthread.  Progress...

sergius | 7 years ago
0 likes

Ah perfect, yet another single use tool for my bike toolbox  1

Thanks, will pick one up next time I do an online order.

AKH | 7 years ago
0 likes

There's a special tool required. I'm not sure if this is specifically the one you need, but if not, you need one very similar to it

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.BBB-BTL-32L-BoldGrip-Chainring-Wrench_48675.htm?...

Latest Comments